mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
5/22/21 10:56 a.m.

Just got back from town after a run to the post office shipping a package. I really don't like usps but Ups & FedEx are 45 minutes away. I really enjoy taking my yellow CVCC with a built D16Z6. It's great driving through town bringing smiles to people's faces & the thumbs up. Today was interesting because while in the post office, a very pretty, fit, mature beach going lady came in & said excitedly, "Is that your Civic?" I'm really glad my wife wasn't with me because she talked & talked about her '80 Civic. I'm shy & just mostly listened. She even went out to her car, got her phone & returned to show me blurry pics of her '80 brown CivicShe once had.  She said goodbye & I'm glad she wasn't waiting outside wanting a ride. That has happened before also. 
Besides the friendly girls it attracts, everywhere I go someone excitedly has a 1st or 2nd gen Civic story. 
The exhaust is fairly loud with no cat or muffler but has 2 resonators. Since it has a Bizimoto header,  it has a nice tone though. Lots of people also comment on the exhaust tone.
Just for fun today going past the line of tourists lining up for the McDonalds drive through, taking off from the light I took it up just past Vtec engagement at 5300. The sound was amazing bouncing off those tourists. I'm sure they were thinking that the cute little yellow car sure makes big noises. 
Anyway it's really fun to drive & brings back memories for most who see it.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
5/22/21 11:04 a.m.

"It won't move until you do. How bad do you want it?"

Note: My RX7 has sat for 2 years now with a fairly simple problem (axle bearings) because I was focusing on my Belvedere... excuses...

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/22/21 11:16 a.m.

Nice story!  But I am pretty sure that no one will talk to me about my project 98 Eclipse like that...  frown

Scott

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/22/21 1:34 p.m.

I get old guys that talk to me about my truck, not beach cougars. :-/

drock25too
drock25too Reader
5/22/21 2:15 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Or my 98 Dodge Avenger. 

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/22/21 2:45 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Well that depends, is it a T or an X?

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/22/21 3:08 p.m.

There was a very pretty young lady who worked at a local speed shop who would do pre-inspections for NASA events. She loved my Lotus 7 replica and I took her out in rides a couple of times. I'm happily married, but that didn't keep me from thinking of getting my car inspected even if I wasn't going to a particular event.

Error404
Error404 Reader
5/23/21 6:30 p.m.

You may consider me more motivated now than I was before reading this. I haven't had the Mustang out in public much, even when it was running, but I did get the occasional compliment and one older lady admiring it at a stoplight. As I sit in my garage, fan blowing against the Florida heat, I'm pondering my list to get it rolling again. The battery is shot. With a stripped interior, and an interiorily located battery, is there a wrong answer for 'What battery do I get'?

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
5/23/21 9:04 p.m.

Since it's interiorily located,  then agm. Where at in Florida? At least you have a garage. Fortunately I got mine done before moving here. But our son has a garage for any other little projects.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/23/21 10:15 p.m.

Get a 3rd gen Corvette.  You instantly become everyone's new best friend.  Not sure why but everyone wants to talk about it or ride in it.  

Error404
Error404 Reader
5/23/21 10:22 p.m.
mdshaw said:

Since it's interiorily located,  then agm. Where at in Florida? At least you have a garage. Fortunately I got mine done before moving here. But our son has a garage for any other little projects.

Orlando. It's interiorly located in a stripped and, shall we say, well ventilated '89. It's on its second battery through no fault of its own so I'm probably going to go a little bigger than the tiny Speedway AGM, just to have some reserve capacity. A battery box with a traditional battery is an option, particularly if I want to move the weight back. I have a project thread that's been stalled for a while but, thanks in part to threads like this, I'm going back at it this week. Maybe after I finagle a window unit in place and grab another LED fixture. 

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
5/23/21 11:35 p.m.

I drive my Bugeye Sprite on Gulf Blvd whenever it gets exercise.  Its about 16 miles from St Pete Bch to Clearwater Bch, in that stretch the car will get its picture taken at least 5 times.  

People see it and smile.  Kids point and tug on parent's arms. If I stop for lunch someone will start up a conversation, "A friend of mine had one..."

Most of the younger generation has no idea what it is but they think it might be expensive.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
5/24/21 5:56 a.m.

I often get worried when I'm out driving my project car. Any time I'm on the interstate for a longer journey people will pass slowly with their camera pointed at the funny looking spaceship in the right lane. I love the enthusiasm for Planet Express but please let your passenger take the photos. 

I'm trying to get it running and driving again this year. It's only been 5 years...

ccrunner
ccrunner New Reader
5/24/21 2:28 p.m.

Thank you for posting this bit of motivation!  A three year process (so far), I've just taken my 1959 Berkeley off of the build table; it was taken out of service in 1967 (the year I was born!).  Such an exciting time in a build.. It technically runs, but still lots of minor fixes to chase while you drive it to sort it.. not to mention it's still ugly (very, very rough).  HOWEVER, people love it!  It's so small! / what is it? / never seen one! / how fast is it? / did you drive it here? etc etc..  The pics.. the smiles.. the good will a project car elicits is a treat laugh

It's so easy to get bogged down and lose your mojo during a build... I love that it's the CVCC, or the C3, or the clown car that starts the pleasant conversation with the beach bunny, or the old guy at the gas station, or the 8 year old kid that is really into cars..

Keep building.. get it on it's wheels.. there's fun in getting it out and sharing it yes

--ccrunner

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LHx0IRkSQVT4hpu8tDu2fY8GNelbaHE1IVYxhj9TmLOW0uoywZIjwSDZmAY1eqOJ