Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
11/27/16 7:53 p.m.

Bump for no permit.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
10/18/17 8:38 a.m.

A summary update:

At the last practice day of the season, I broke the crankshaft of my TM K9B. It ran for a few minutes after that, but rather poorly. I sold the cases and cylinder for $500.

I bought a Briggs LO206 and installed it on the Birel. Most of the summer was spent tuning the chassis and driving. Simon and I had an extremely close championship battle - he won every big race, I won every little one, and took the title by fewer points than losing one position in one race would have cost me. The lap record for a Briggs kart at East Lansing was lowered from 41.8 to 40.90 seconds. 

Next season, I'm getting a new or year-old chassis. I had wheels fall off three times this year, mostly due to creep and corrosion of 15-year-old hubs.  

The FIA finally did something decent, making the World Championship classes use mass-produced direct-drive engines. They call it the OK class and that's what they are, simple and reliable. TecniEngines decided that the US needed to see them so they are sending me a T101 engine.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
10/18/17 8:41 a.m.

In this country, the sport of kart racing needs a new name. "Go-karts" doesn't have the right image. My suggestion is that we refer to them as "Nanosprint Cars" from now on.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/18/17 1:08 p.m.
chaparral said:

The FIA finally did something decent, making the World Championship classes use mass-produced direct-drive engines. They call it the OK class and that's what they are, simple and reliable. TecniEngines decided that the US needed to see them so they are sending me a T101 engine.

Can you elaborate on this?  My local tracks only host LO206, TaG and 125 shifter classes; a new low-cost FIA class is news to me and I'm having a hard time finding details online.

EDT
EDT New Reader
10/18/17 1:20 p.m.
nderwater said:
chaparral said:

Can you elaborate on this?  My local tracks only host LO206, TaG and 125 shifter classes; a new low-cost FIA class is news to me and I'm having a hard time finding details online.

That's the first time I've ever heard anybody use OK and affordable in the same sentence. From what I've seen, they are very finicky, unreliable, expensive to maintain and extremely fast. I have been a mechanic for number of big names and raced for a couple of major teams in the US, and OK is not a US class at this point. The weight limits are too low for anybody not child sized, and a direct drive kart is not easy for somebody who has little experience. While I admit I am not fully up-to-date, what makes these engines any more mass produced than the current 125's?

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/18/17 3:05 p.m.

I really looked into this after moving out to Raleigh. But the closest track is 2.5 hours away at Gopro Motorplex :( I was seriously considering an LO206

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/18/17 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen : It's worth the drive. The closest track to me is 1 1/2 hours next closest is 2 hours. If they have garages there its even better to leave it there.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
10/18/17 3:29 p.m.

I came close this year to getting involved. Just didnt have the time. During Easter vacation, we went to Andersen RacePark in FL and did a family kart school. Myself, my wife, my 10 year old daughter and 6 year old (at the time) son.

We all had a blast. The kids did great, even when they had issues, they sat in the Kart with their hand raised until help came (my daughter blew a fast turn and went through a chain link fence!).

There are two places close-ish to me, both about 70 miles away in opposite directions. I want to get the family involved. We tried with dirt bikes, but have a hard time finding someplace that is fun and safe or all sizes. I like the LO206 class and can see doing this next season. I may keep an eye out for some end of season deals.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/18/17 3:49 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

In reply to Jaynen : It's worth the drive. The closest track to me is 1 1/2 hours next closest is 2 hours. If they have garages there its even better to leave it there.

They do, I just don't know how often I could get out there, or how exciting it would be to always be running the same track? I was telling myself that I need to go out there and rent before buying my next track car. But I am not trying to push into wheel to wheel anyway so I don't know. Also as I get older I wonder about wanting more suspension vs none :P Also all of the garages are sold out and cost 2700-3100 a year

ORIF
ORIF GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/18/17 3:59 p.m.
Jaynen said:
trigun7469 said:

They do, I just don't know how often I could get out there, or how exciting it would be to always be running the same track? I was telling myself that I need to go out there and rent before buying my next track car. But I am not trying to push into wheel to wheel anyway so I don't know. Also as I get older I wonder about wanting more suspension vs none :P Also all of the garages are sold out and cost 2700-3100 a year

The Go Pro Motorplex is a fantastic track.  It is a reproduction of Aryton Senna's most favorite track in Italy. I would strongly recommend trying it out in the rental cart races. I don't think that you necessarily have to own a cart to do the weekly racing series either.  I go with my kids and it is a complete and utter blast, actually for me, more fun than track days and much cheaper.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
10/18/17 4:00 p.m.
Jaynen said:
trigun7469 said:

you will always come up with reasons to not do it.

most Kart tracks i have seen will run multiple layouts. but you wont get bored driving the same track if you are wheel to wheel with someone else. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/19/17 3:23 p.m.

I was never bored with going to the same track, only was bored when nobody shows. Kart racing is not autocrossing, the competition is on track with you, where anything can happen. Heck if people got bored with tracks, circle tracking would not be the most popular form of motorsports.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
10/19/17 3:37 p.m.

Been considering karting as an option and have been wanting to gather information.  I wouldnt be looking to start getting into it for a few years.

It seems difficult to gather information on local tracks.  Sandy Hook's website stinks and I cant even seem to figure out what classes run and what fields (#s) look like.   

Anyone have a contact that might run in the DC area?

If I was going to do it, it would be on the cheap.  

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/19/17 8:14 p.m.

Yeah I need to find time to go out to GoPro.

freetors
freetors New Reader
10/19/17 8:48 p.m.

Does anyone here autocross these things? I've always figured it would be a blast and give you a pretty good chance at FTD everywhere you go. I've mostly dismissed it though since you'd be mostly airborne on our super bumpy local lots.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
10/20/17 1:20 a.m.

seen plenty autox them

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/20/17 7:01 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

Been considering karting as an option and have been wanting to gather information.  I wouldnt be looking to start getting into it for a few years.

It seems difficult to gather information on local tracks.  Sandy Hook's website stinks and I cant even seem to figure out what classes run and what fields (#s) look like.   

Anyone have a contact that might run in the DC area?

If I was going to do it, it would be on the cheap.  

Have to go to the track and talk with people. It's the same way here in OK for the track in Norman and the track in Tulsa. Scant details on the site.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/20/17 7:07 a.m.

when I looked at it before the LO206 engine package was like 900 brand new but I had a hard time understanding the differences on chassis and what was a "good deal". It's also still not clear to me what types of classes are actually popular. I know I have seen pictures of karts on normal road courses with a little bit of aero also?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
10/20/17 8:25 a.m.
Jaynen said:

I know I have seen pictures of karts on normal road courses with a little bit of aero also?

I know theres a group called Woodbridge Kart Club that does it at Summit Point.  Seems neat, but my sense of self preservation says bad idea.   I thought I heard something about a deer-strike that happened with them that ended badly for the driver.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/20/17 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Jaynen :  http://www.gopromotorplex.com/kart-owners/ There is some good info, they also sell karts. Based on the kart count Briggs Lo206 Senior class, is big and that would be a blast. I have seen complete kart packages used start at $1500 which may need some work. The chassis is either going to be a Euro kart (most of them born in Italy) their are a few American karts such as Margay and Coyote are the bigger of the two.  I would recommend purchasing used package that is complete, that way you get some spare parts. You are in NC right? I found this kart https://raleigh.craigslist.org/spo/d/lo206-arrow-ax9-kart/6324270948.htmlI have owned a Arrow kart they are one of the best 4cycle karts that I have driven and you can be competitive right away. If you are going to purchase I would see about taking it on some test laps and have it scaled at the track.

The saying of paying for the best you can afford applies. Margay sells the K3 $3995 new, but you don't have any spares.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/20/17 9:21 a.m.

I am in Raleigh NC, I spoke to the GoPro Motorplex people on Facebook and they said they regularly have 20+ people in the normal races for the LO206 classes

I am passionate about cars and cars are much more interesting but if I had a kart I can easily tow a small trailer with my minivan or put it into my van likely and even at 2.5 hours I could probably make a monthly event. I also think practice is like 60 bucks for 4hours as a kart owner

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/20/17 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Jaynen : If the kart is local to you wouldn't hurt to check it out and sit in it. Atleast talk to the owner. I have trailered karts with a car for several years never had any problems, they are lightweight. I have been back in forth with racing cars and karts. The reason that I don't race karts as much because the track I raced with cut the schedule in half (majority of the races are in October up north during snow and rain), increased the price, and pissed everybody off that nobody goes out to race anymore. Car racing is so much more expensive. I had a kart annual budget of $2,o00, which covered me for 13-14 races a year. In car racing $2k barely covers the entry fee and gas for one race. Competition is just as fun  in kart racing, and if you like mechanicic, most of the stuff is in the chassis and gearing for the 206 class. There are other classes where you can do more engine work. 

chaparral
chaparral Dork
10/20/17 10:35 a.m.
EDT said:
nderwater said:
chaparral said:

That's the first time I've ever heard anybody use OK and affordable in the same sentence. From what I've seen, they are very finicky, unreliable, expensive to maintain and extremely fast. I have been a mechanic for number of big names and raced for a couple of major teams in the US, and OK is not a US class at this point. The weight limits are too low for anybody not child sized, and a direct drive kart is not easy for somebody who has little experience. While I admit I am not fully up-to-date, what makes these engines any more mass produced than the current 125's?

nderwater, it's not a US class yet, and this is just the first exploration of it. It would slot in above the TaGs.

EDT, OK ($3500 list price for a TM at Italian Motors - lower prices are possible for all three) is inexpensive in comparison to KF ($5000) and KZ ($5400). On most circuits OK's about 0.5s slower than a KZ, so probably 1s faster than an S1 Stock Honda. I do not know how much this one will cost to campaign on US circuits - that's part of why we're trying it. Another part is to find out whether OK+ at 155kg (340 lbs) is faster than existing shifter classes. I cannot personally hit the 145 kg (320 lb) OK weight, as that requires a 150 lb driver. It should cost more in pistons and bottom end rebuilds than a TaG, but the starter and clutch costs are eliminated.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
10/20/17 10:39 a.m.

In reply to freetors :

I got 2nd overall at an autox, push-starting a direct-drive and sputtering for the first five seconds of every run. The PAX index for shifter karts suggests that they should be faster than anything but an FSAE or an A-Mod.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
10/20/17 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

New chassis are $3500, bought two at a time. A "nearly new" chassis, one with only 1-3 races on it, should look perfect, scale perfectly, and cost $2500. A year-old chassis that hasn't been crashed heavily should be about $2000. Older chassis will have hazier histories and should cost three digits.

Run the aero that's allowed at that track. CIK bodywork is similar to the bodywork on 2-stroke karts. American/aero bodywork features at least a bullet nose and will be faster if permitted to run.

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S8M9aQoaeJitEEyu89GAlMeQkP1Ii0Q7WAMHBOfMqIQU7ttvgpnsKhQJ4vHXlWmj