Says faster than a 997 Turbo, F430.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
3/5/15 4:29 p.m.

Love me some fast fwd...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
3/5/15 4:55 p.m.

Bull on it being faster then a 997 turbo and a F430. Unless those tires are 0 wear rating and the thing was stripped out. Have the posted a video yet with a walkaround of the car or just something inside.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/5/15 5:04 p.m.
Autoguide said: To verify the time and silence the haters, Honda has announced it will send a full production model to the Nürburgring Nordschleife later this year in the hopes of repeating its time.

Haters? No. Just bring out the hippo meme that is appropriate...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/15 5:04 p.m.

why not? It's a matter of momentum, not outright power.

Now the car is a "preproduction" model and did have the air-con, radio, and passenger seats removed to offset the weight of a cage.. but Honda is planning to bring out a full production vehicle once they go on sale

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/5/15 5:09 p.m.

when to 'murica?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
3/5/15 6:02 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: when to 'murica?

Never.

Fueled by Caffeine
3/5/15 6:52 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: when to 'murica?
Never.

Insert rage comic

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/5/15 6:56 p.m.

No amount of fast can make up for how hideous that car looks. It's like Honda figured out all the trendy import-tuner looks of the mid-1990s and put them all onto one car.

I'll take my Type R with the "Regular Si" appearance package, and will pay extra for it!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/5/15 7:07 p.m.

Maybe Honda is coming back to life after all.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/5/15 7:46 p.m.

...but having driven an F430 a few times, I can say that it's a terrifying/startling car. I just don't see a Civic Type R being able to pull those numbers. I hope it does.

Unless it comes with R-compounds and some serious suspension, I couldn't see it coming close to those cars in production form.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
3/5/15 8:11 p.m.

Okay... So a 305 hp and 295 lb-ft. Honda is faster at the Ring than a 491 hp 343 lb-ft Ferrari? Call me Captain Skeptical.

So power-to-weight and front-engined vs. mid-engined just doesn't apply because...um... magic Honda dust?

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/5/15 8:34 p.m.
LuxInterior wrote: Okay... So a 305 hp and 295 lb-ft. Honda is faster at the Ring than a 491 hp 343 lb-ft Ferrari? Call me Captain Skeptical. So power-to-weight and front-engined vs. mid-engined just doesn't apply because...um... magic Honda dust?

yes, but does the Ferrari have "redline time attack"-style rims?

That's what I thought.....

/discussion

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/5/15 8:40 p.m.

Maybe James May was driving the Ferrari?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
3/5/15 8:52 p.m.

I have a feeling tires may be the big factor here. My money says this preproduction car has some non production option shoes on it.

bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
3/5/15 9:16 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: I have a feeling tires may be the big factor here. My money says this preproduction car has some non production option shoes on it.

THIS! if you wrapped R comps on alot of "lesser" cars they could eat up a ferrari on 1 lap.... on OEM off the floor dealer tires... hellz no

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/15 9:21 p.m.

if you look at the numbers of the Type-R.. they are not exactly plain vanilla.

Using a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, power is rated at 305 hp and 295 lb-ft. of torque. Paired to a six-speed manual transmission, the Type R sends its power to the front wheels and is said to sprint from 0 to 62 MPH in 5.7 seconds, on the way to a top speed of 167 mph.

While it is 30mph slower and takes 1.7 seconds longer to get to 60mph than the Ferrari F430.. we have all seen videos of the ring.. there is really only one place where the F-car can really stretch those legs.. and most (fast) cars are lucky to reach 150mph on that stretch.

I can completely see the Honda doing this.. and as the Ring is not a drift course and will kill you if you get the rear out, being Front Wheel Drive is not a disadvantage here

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
3/5/15 10:57 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: Maybe Honda is coming back to life after all.

What I'd really like to see Honda do is get back to their roots - cheap, fun cars. This type-R sounds cool, but it's going to cost an arm and a leg. I'd much prefer a really fun, inexpensive econo-car. I'll take an updated version of the CRX Si or GSR Integra.

Fueled by Caffeine
3/5/15 10:58 p.m.

I am happy that this car exists. Sad it won't come here. Thankful for Ford and the resugence of the hot hatch...

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/5/15 11:06 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote:
Feedyurhed wrote: Maybe Honda is coming back to life after all.
What I'd really like to see Honda do is get back to their roots - cheap, fun cars. This type-R sounds cool, but it's going to cost an arm and a leg. I'd much prefer a really fun, inexpensive econo-car. I'll take an updated version of the CRX Si or GSR Integra.

The CR-Z seems to be an afterthought these days. I never hear anyone talking about them. I rarely see them. Put a nice gas engine in there, make it cheap, put an Si badge on it, and there you go....

Fueled by Caffeine
3/5/15 11:19 p.m.

CRZ was a bit of a misfire. They had the ability to make something great but decided to release the proper car only after you've added the HPD super charger and chassis kit. Too bad. I'll wait the depreciation curve out and see how it looks then.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/6/15 12:09 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: ..there is really only one place where the F-car can really stretch those legs.. and most (fast) cars are lucky to reach 150mph on that stretch...

There are at least three straight sections of the ring that are as long as most any front straight, one of which is probably 4 times the length of any! (and it's giving up 200 hp to the Ferrari!)

Honestly 300 hp is only a bit more then a Speed3. I find it hard to belive the chassis is that much better (not sure what a Speed3 does it in, but I suspect it's a fair amount less)

Magic Honda dust indeed!

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/6/15 12:20 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: CRZ was a bit of a misfire. They had the ability to make something great but decided to release the proper car only after you've added the HPD super charger and chassis kit. Too bad. I'll wait the depreciation curve out and see how it looks then.

Well, it was a hybrid that neither got great fuel economy nor was fast. Put all the HPD goodies on it and suddenly it's a $35k car. That makes no sense either.

If they stuck a 220hp K-Series engine in it, it would have been a runaway hit.

Hell, if they offered a 180-200hp Fit for a realistic $25k, it would have been a smash hit.

They basically said "berk the enthusiasts" and paid more attention to the bean counters.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
3/6/15 2:12 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: I am happy that this car exists. Sad it won't come here. Thankful for Ford and the resugence of the hot hatch...

Before modern Ford, when was the last time a company had such a diverse performance-oriented portfolio? Mustang, Focus, Fiesta, Taurus, Raptor, upcoming GT...

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
3/6/15 3:59 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: CRZ was a bit of a misfire. ... I'll wait the depreciation curve out and see how it looks then.

The wait is over, they got hit hard with depreciation. I bought a used one. Fed's classify batteries as "emission devices," so you get 8yrs, 80,000 miles warranty on battery pack...

As EVO mag mentioned, civic si is going to be same $ ballpark as focus rs.. Tough competition.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8kXRfU8dLlztydnWHs87vNhEVP2jsXluA3Cq8PAEQ3JqEEEkvk2u17ip2Huxl9kL