EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/4/08 3:05 p.m.

Mom calls me this morning and she can't start her car. She has a 2001 Ford Focus and she can fully insert the key but the steering wheel lock is engaged and the key will not turn. Being sure that the fix is going to be easy I head over there and sure enough, no matter how much english or french I used on it that key would not budge. I tried tugging the wheel gently in either direction while trying to turn the key, wiggling the key around side to side, inserting the key a mm at a time, you get the idea. Cursing made no difference to my dissappointment and the enjoyment of the onlookers in the parking lot.

Searcing around teh intarwebs this afternoon I found hope for an inexpensive solution when I read this... "Just a word of advice for all you Ford Focus Ignition problem people. I had the same issue with my Ford. I couldn't get the key or steering wheel to turn. I had the car towed to my mechanic (2000 LX). He showed me the release button in the middle console for the steering and ignition. You pop out the gray/black little cover and use a screw driver or barrette to push the button down. At that point you can turn your car on and switch the car to the mode you want." from this site: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_focus.html

Does anyone here have any experience with this car and could help me figure out how to find this magical button or otherwise bypass the steering lock? I know that if i had been able to get the steering lock to disengage that the key would turn in the cylinder.

Thanks in advance!

Hal
Hal HalfDork
11/4/08 3:31 p.m.

Never heard of it. Some times you can get it to release by hitting the key with your hand or a hammer, etc. If you do get it to release do not remove the key until you get it fixed.

More info can be found here: FocalJet Lock cylinder thread

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/4/08 3:46 p.m.

The 'button' sounds like the brake/transmission interlock override. That won't make the key not turn.

We see a similar problem on Grand Cherokees with higher mileage, it's a combination of the tumblers in the lock sticking due to a buildup of brass particles from the key, wear on the tumblers and wear on the key. About 98% of the time, you can take a screwdriver handle, shoe sole, etc and 'tap' (don't pound!) the key further into the lock cylinder and turn the key at the same time and now the key will turn.

If this gets the lock cylinder to turn, the next step: have a new key cut from the key code. Do not copy the old key in one of those transfer machines, this merely cuts a new key with the same problem the old one had. Use WD40 or similar to rinse out the lock cylinder. It's going to drool out of the column covers, so be sure to cover the carpet etc. then use the new key. This only puts off the inevitable: it will need a new lock cylinder soon.

EastCoastMojo
11/4/08 4:17 p.m.

Awesome. Thanks guys, I have some things to try tomorrow morning when I head over there again.

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
11/4/08 7:59 p.m.

Focus ignition cylinder troubles are very common. Have done quite a few of them, and it's generally a real bitch job involving a Dremel and dissecting the lock cylinder from the inside out in order to release it, since you can't turn the key to remove it the normal way.

The key factor seems to be people who have about 14 keys and doodads hanging off of their keyring. It's just too much weight dangling on the lock cylinder and stressing it.

All of my cars have a separate key just for the ignition, now. Nothing hanging at all.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/4/08 8:31 p.m.

Like noisycricket says, if you can't turn the cylinder it's a real beeyotch to replace. If you can turn it, it's pretty simple.

If your mom has another unused key, that might be worth trying as well, along with the WD40 enema.

jrtech
jrtech New Reader
11/4/08 11:10 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: About 98% of the time, you can take a screwdriver handle, shoe sole, etc and 'tap' (don't pound!) the key further into the lock cylinder and turn the key at the same time and now the key will turn.

+1, Ford tech here... beat the hell out of it! Buy a new lock cylinder and get the code, it's really easy to do it yourself. I dunno if they will sell it to you though... Common problem with Foci. Sorry.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
11/5/08 12:43 a.m.

This is the common temp fix. Whatever you do, don't tell a locksmith: Put the key in the ignition, take the user manual (still in its padded case), and place it against the but of the key. Hit the manual with your fist moderately hard once or twice, and it will engage. Basically, what is happening is that the last tumbler is not engaging. It's a relatively common problem with the Focus; a relatively common problem that to my knowledge was never truly fixed.

If this turns out to be the problem, the next step is to order a new ignition cylinder. recommend ordering it from this dealership. Being skeptical at heart, I scoured the internet for prices, and the coded price for my ignition cylinder that I ordered over the summer was just shy of $100 when it was at my doorstep. This beat the closest price by about $20, which didn't include coding, service fees, the dummy key they have to copy, or shipping. The guy in the parts department was super friendly and helpful.

Installation is super easy. Taking my time, it took me maybe five minutes. Here's the step-by-step.

EastCoastMojo
11/5/08 9:26 a.m.

So it sounds like first I should beat it, then give it an enema, then if that doesn't fix it at least temporarily I should replace it altogether. Got it.

Thanks for all the help guys!

EastCoastMojo
11/5/08 6:29 p.m.

Update... OK, so we got the cylinder out and cleaned it but it's actually not the problem. The problem is where the lock cylinder engages the housing upon turning. It is designed so that you actually push the key further into the housing when you turn it and that movement inward disengages the steering lock, or at least it used to. It just doesn't seem to be going in far enough to disengage it reliably anymore so we will be making a metal shim to fit in there in between the lock cylinder and the housing so that it will disengage the steering lock more reliably.

I will keep ya posted. Thanks again!

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
11/6/08 11:47 a.m.

Yep, its a common problem. It happened to someone i knew at school, and they said they knew several other ppl that had it happen as well. The dealer charged her like $450 to fix it too.

chelsea0113
chelsea0113
7/25/09 11:11 a.m.

This little tip saved me about $500 because I would of had it towed 57 miles to the dealership like they said to. It amazed me that the General Manager for the Service department at a FORD DEALERSHIP! When I asked him about this little button he acted absolutely shocked. This is one more reason for a State Investigation against my dealership that is already in progress.

nickyandsteve
nickyandsteve
8/16/09 3:19 p.m.

Where is the button located exactly? My hubby and I have been trying to locate it for about an hour, and can't see a thing. Maybe there isn't one on my car? I have a 2000 LX. It was fine, then all of a sudden the key wouldn't go into the ignition. Worse still, it is stuck on base and it is going to be a hell of an effort getting a tow truck on to retrieve my car. I am NEVER buying a Ford again, this is my first and last one.

alex
alex HalfDork
8/16/09 4:53 p.m.

Being the owner of 2 Foci, as of yesterday, I read the above-linked threads on FocalJet with interest. Sounds like that's a great parts source.

One question remains: is the root of the problem really the cylinder, or the key? Or both? Does just replacing the cylinder make sense, or should the key be done at the same time?

Since I have a bunch of deferred maintenance to do on my '00 ZX3, I'm just going to do this at the same time as a preventive measure, since the cylinder definitely feels like it's on the way out, but I can still turn the key. I may just go ahead and do it on the SVT, too.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/09 7:52 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: So it sounds like first I should beat it, then give it an enema, then if that doesn't fix it at least temporarily I should replace it altogether. Got it. Thanks for all the help guys!

Thank you for starting out my morning with "Naughty Mojo Quotes"

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/17/09 12:53 p.m.

Dunno where the 'magic button' is, but about the key/cylinder thing: the key and the tumblers are made of similar metals. They tend to wear at about the same rate, so replace both at the same time. Cutting a new key FROM THE KEY CODE! will put off the inevitable for a short time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hUl9bY6ngYjcR6cQgkBUIkv02h8tqeQManeJwVKWFcwgYGJmvHxPStO4pTNmCbMm