1 2 3
Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/25/19 11:32 a.m.

I've seen a lot of news blurbs about an unveiling next month, though no sources I particularly want to single out for a link. It won't be hard to find it in a quick search.

I... I don't know. Even if it's a really neat vehicle, I'm not a little bit put off by the attempt to trade on the Mustang's image for a vehicle so totally unrelated. I'm trying not to let that be the primary thing I notice about it, but unfortunately that's most of the info that's available. There's mention of a 300-mile range, but we're totally in the rumor and innuendo phase. At least if they actually unveil 11/17/2019 we'll be put out of our underinformed misery relatively quickly.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/25/19 11:39 a.m.

its likely going to be based on the mustang platform since that is all they have left

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/25/19 11:41 a.m.

Meh.  BMW, Mercedes, and a number of other companies are making a lot of money selling lifted sedans with squashed rooflines.

For whatever reason.  I don't understand it.  But they are.

Ford might as well cash in on the stupidity, too.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/25/19 11:43 a.m.

also see mazdas MX-30 concept

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/25/19 11:47 a.m.
Duke said:

Meh.  BMW, Mercedes, and a number of other companies are making a lot of money selling lifted sedans with squashed rooflines.

For whatever reason.  I don't understand it.  But they are.

Ford might as well cash in on the stupidity, too.

So people can see out of them. It's a negative feedback loop.

People started buying SUVs/Trucks because "reasons" then people in normal-sized vehicles lose visibility (both seeing and being seen) in traffic, so now they want something that is higher up for better visibility and the circle continues. 

I remember when I had my lowered BRZ. My eye level was at the near the bottom of the door for most normal trucks and SUVs. Lifted ones? Sometimes I could see the frame without tilting my head down. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
10/25/19 11:49 a.m.

The original reported name was going to be the ford Mach 1 now it sounds like it will be the ford Mach e. Either way still trading on a legendary mustang name.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/19 11:55 a.m.

Who cares what the name is? Judge the vehicle.

Mustang-inspired just means it will share some styling cues, like a Porsche Cayenne was 911-inspired.

_
_ Dork
10/25/19 11:59 a.m.

It'll be a lifted mustang, four doors, eco toast power (Or is it just E-toast now?), look like a mustang in front, exploder in back, and annoy everything around you. 

cue "flight of the bumblebee". 

Keith Tanner
10/25/19 12:39 p.m.

Psst! You missed the part about it being an EV.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/25/19 12:55 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Who cares what the name is? Judge the vehicle.

Absolutely. Kinda wish I hadn't heard anything in advance, as there's no substance to judge yet, and the info they've chosen to tease with makes it a somewhat unpleasant curiosity.

_
_ Dork
10/25/19 1:11 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Psst! You missed the part about it being an EV.

Yeah I know. I use that terminology broadly. Basically anything from ford that "eco" minded gets the "eco toast" dub. But E-toast sounds better now. 

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
10/25/19 1:11 p.m.

I think it's a risky, but possibly smart move.  The Mustang is iconic, but they're not changing the Mustang itself a-la the nearly Mustang Probe fiasco.  Also the "Mach-whatever" name I think is a great choice.  Mach is word associated with fast.  The Mach-1 itself is not that iconic outside of "car guy" circles (who probably won't buy an electric CUV in the first place), and while 1st gens are cool, let's not pretent like it hasn't already been adorned on a V6 Mustang II, and the Mach-E twist gives enough legacy to let you know it's (potentially) a special model.  

The mention above about Porsche design influenced SUV's draws heritage to a sporting past, with a functional future.  

I don't know if they have the brand cache to pull it off, but CUV's matter more than cars in the sales game, so winning the "electric car war" is a losing game in the first place.  The first real winner in the electric CUV space will move the metal.  

Give it range, solid dynamics, and real character (possible with the Mustang design influence) and I will absolutely judge it on it's own merits.  Not holding my breath they'll get it all right, but it has potential.  Lincoln's SUV design team has been killing it lately, so the talent is there within the corporate umbrella.  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/25/19 1:16 p.m.

The vague profile image I've seen is interesting... kinda looks like a Mustang wagon, which is something I'd want. 

I'm still more interested in an EV van than anything else, but I'll also withhold judgment until we see it next month.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/25/19 1:17 p.m.

Guys, I watched this thing grow for several years.  It started as a bare bones Prius fighter that (thankfully) changed direction into what you'll soon see. It's an awesome looking all electric crossover on a new platform.  It looks stunning and the interior is awesome too.  Ford may have downsized me, but I can honestly say this thing is awesome and I wish them well with it.  The original suggestion of naming it the Mach-1 was stupid and everyone outside of marketing laughed and cringed as soon as it was mentioned, luckily they moved away from that.   There are Mustang design cues, but nothing that compromises it, or takes away from the Mustang as a stand alone sports/GT/Muscle car.

This outline basically shows you what will be revealed.  I think you'll all like it.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
10/25/19 1:24 p.m.
barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
10/25/19 1:26 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

This outline w/ mustang or even focus roof height will be awesome. If it is as tall as an escape or explorer it'll be lame. My opinion, of course.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/25/19 1:42 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

My WAG: it'll be similar to a BMW X6 in profile.

TJL
TJL HalfDork
10/25/19 1:51 p.m.

Secret spy shot

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
10/25/19 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

See the source image

No Time
No Time Dork
10/25/19 2:05 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

I wonder how much (if anything) it will share with the i-pace?

Keith Tanner
10/25/19 2:08 p.m.

Jaguar hasn't been owned by Ford for over a decade.

No Time
No Time Dork
10/25/19 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Point taken. I guess that shows how closely I've been following things...

I guess it goes along with still thinking of our 2010 and 2011 cars a fairly new, until I do the math and realize they are coming up on 9 and 10 years old. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/25/19 2:10 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to barefootskater :

My WAG: it'll be similar to a BMW X6 in profile.

I concur, which makes me an outlier in Adrian's "I think you'll all like it" dataset.  I hate X6s with the white-hot fury of a thousand suns, and I generally like BMWs.  Or used to, anyway.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/25/19 2:15 p.m.
No Time said:

I wonder how much (if anything) it will share with the i-pace?

That would be SO MUCH BETTER if the wheels were 2" smaller, the wheel arches correspondingly rescaled, and the shoulder line was pushed down to approximately where the top of the taillight is now.

Instead it looks like a pinheaded fashion victim wearing oversized clown shoes.

Keith Tanner
10/25/19 2:18 p.m.
No Time said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I guess it goes along with still thinking of our 2010 and 2011 cars a fairly new, until I do the math and realize they are coming up on 9 and 10 years old. 

I can identify with that!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jNhs34b0hWSyBYVC0DWdtT6GYGEIAqpPewQIQLlyNnzm0zXc53rH8S05hyb8vLTp