1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/15/19 7:40 p.m.

Here are the pics of the car that was at my local C&C.  Apparently used in a scene where Ken Miles is working on the engine.  He says its a bit tricky to drive since it still has a racing clutch in it (it does have mufflers on it). He might be there again tomorrow, as well as the guy with some of the other cars (which might be the Porsche race cars based on what was said above), if anyone has any questions you want me to ask them, let me know.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/15/19 9:20 p.m.

10/10

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
11/15/19 9:24 p.m.

Went and saw it with the wife tonight, and I NEVER go to the theater. Good show, congrats jfryjfry on your hand it. We both really enjoed it

BBC

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/19 10:01 p.m.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, didn't go into it trying to spot inaccuracies.  

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/19 12:32 a.m.

I just came back. It was good entertainment but I would have preferred more pure race scenes. Grand Prix and Le Man's both took footage from actual races and professional drivers so the      in-car and track footage was better. And they might have done so much more with the soundtrack. The best sounding engines in the world and they did not get me in the heart the way I hoped. Also all that staring the other driver down, mashing the throttle a whole two inches at the end of the Mulsanne Straight and whatnot was a bit much. But still a pretty entertaining evening.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
11/16/19 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

The business is weird - seems like you always run into someone who knows someone who is a stuntman... But then you start asking questions and find out that they actually were an extra or worked on a public-access show one time.  But Billy was the real deal. 

I never met him as I came to LA in 1999 and he had already retired I believe.  But Billy was good friends with my first mentor in the business and I heard many stories. 

One of the places we shot (and I had reached out to a few people here to see if anyone wanted to try and drive by to see some of what we were doing but never had any takers) was at the Grand Prize of America race track on Hutchinson Island by Savannah, Georgia. It was love bug season and those little slow-flying crawly bugs were EVERYwhere.  One of the drivers in particular hated them so I made it my mission to capture as many as I could in a cup and throw them in his enclosed car right as he would head out for a take. 

Another interesting note was they made stencils of the old Goodyear logo and painted them on all of the tires - sometimes having to paint them every morning if it had worn off during the course of the previous days’ filming. 

And don't be jealous of my job - don’t get me wrong, I think it’s pretty awesome and I pinch myself every day I go to work. But on the nobility scale, this is pretty near the bottom.  I have a ton of respect for public service workers, doctors, nurses, etc.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
11/16/19 10:46 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

I went last night with my daughter who watched me race some and my new wife who has no idea.  All three of us really enjoyed the entertainment.  
    My daughter who only saw me in the pits started to understand why I was so focused.  
   My new wife saw the thrill and dedication required to be successful. I hope she was interested enough to want to come to a race.  
Myself, I just enjoyed seeing Willow Springs try to be Riverside and a few other compromises that had to be made to produce the movie.  
In college I took a Movie appreciation course and to all the nit pickers out there, it's called, A willing suspension of disbelief. The idea that years can be compressed into a couple of hours and details aren't exactly correct. 
It's  agreement between you and the movie maker that you can be entertained if you accept that premise . 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/16/19 12:12 p.m.

The guy did not show up with the GT40 again (he was there though).  The other guy did bring one of the movie cars.  Apparently Matt Damon's (Shelby's) 356.  He said it was mustard yellow at one point and they repainted it this for another scene.  A VW based kit car of course.  He said he also has a Mustang a Volvo and a few other cars that where likely just background cars.  They where not allowed to drive them on the street until the movie came out.

Also, the GT pictured above was only used in a scene where Ken Miles is working on the motor, so the whole car is probably not visible (if they used the scene).

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
11/16/19 1:14 p.m.

Great movie.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  It may not have been a perfect "racing" movie, but it was a very good overall telling of a very compelling story.

Would it have been better if they showed the footwork on a heel-toe downshift instead of the inevitable "mat the gas, shift" as their "look how fast I'm going" shots?  Sure.  But 99% of the viewers wouldn't have had a clue what was going on.  I'm just happy they made racing, and the research and work behind it, seem interesting.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/19 2:20 p.m.

I’m going tonight. Looking forward to it! I already know from the previews that there are some liberties being taken with the story, so I’m just gonna wallow in the sights and sounds. I will happily watch those sights and sounds regardless of plot.

Here’s where I go for the rest of the story.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/16/19 3:48 p.m.

Just got back from it. The liberties taken don't really take away from the good parts. Damon makes a good Texan. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/19 4:14 p.m.

Just saw it. Tip Top. 

Of course Bale was on point, but I expected to be meh on Damon, and felt he did very well. You get involved in the story because it's so darn compelling. 

I felt they were kind to Ferrari, showing him to be a passionate, smart man, and also very kind to Iacocca showing him to be a sensitive, handsome man.

I will own it once cheap copies are about.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
11/16/19 4:18 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

Actually the lug nuts scene was real, or at least I had read about it and heard about it for years prior to the movie

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/16/19 4:20 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Man, that movie is just amazing. Such a period piece.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/16/19 7:27 p.m.

Saw it this morning. Loved it. Must see. Granted there were a couple cringe worthy cgi scenes but overall well done. Matt Damon has a great performance and bale was even better. 

Also the ford douchebag that tries to tank it repeatedly plays such a fantastic douchebag. I forget the actors name but god he’s good at being someone you WANT to hate.  

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
11/16/19 7:48 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Just got back from it. The liberties taken don't really take away from the good parts. Damon makes a good Texan. 

No he does not.  McConaughey does.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/19 8:40 p.m.
racerfink said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

No he does not.  McConaughey does.

isnt McConaughey actually Texan though?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/16/19 8:59 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

McConaughey was at the Austin Grand Prix a few weeks ago and I got tired of seeing him flash his horns.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/19 10:15 p.m.

Just got back. Loved the movie!!!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/16/19 10:48 p.m.

Just saw it. I loved it as well! 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
11/16/19 10:59 p.m.

Just got back.  First time I've been in a theatre in at least 7 years. It was a good movie, especially if you're not a racer, and don't know the *whole* story. 

Just like I wish that they would quit doing those silly "binoculars" on tv shows, I wish they would quit with the "I'm at the end of the straight, *now* I'm finally gonna push the throttle" thing they like to do, but that's such a minor thing. 

Good work as usual, Jeremy. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/19 12:18 a.m.

Just got back from watching The Ken Miles Story :) Definitely a good way to sneak motor racing into a film that non-racers might watch. It’s not going to win an Oscar for sound, unfortunately, but I enjoyed it even knowing how it was going to end. My wife did not know and found it pretty darn sad. 

Also, the GT40 is one sexy beast. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/17/19 12:22 a.m.
bobzilla said:

IRT 2 lane blacktop/vanishing point/weird 70's flicks: I have never watched TLB, no real desire. I've seen VP and still wonder why I sat through it. I guess you had to be there and be high. 

This looks awesome and I can't wait to watch it tomorrow. 

I remember when SPEED TV before Nascar had a Saturday movie night and played all of these in the 90s.  You're missing out by skipping TLB.  It's top 3 car movie along with Grand Prix and LeMans.  

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/17/19 12:27 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I'm really struggling with that last sentence.....  knowing his views outside movies and being Texan.  I may go see this tomorrow.  

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
11/17/19 1:55 a.m.

Tried to see it Friday night at the movie tavern but it was sold out so the son and I saw Midway instead.

Went to see it tonight with a friend at the IMAX and it's a pretty baller experience.  The end was sad and not knowing the story (other than that Ford won) it had plenty to keep me involved.   

Very cool cars!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nRHgKz5TKLh7cYKko6QkSGDjcq1xGkdzSDOmeWPW7y5wuRR700UJpP73lnV5Jjn3