1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/17/19 8:42 a.m.

Went and saw it with my 16 year old son. This is only the second movie he has wanted to see in years and we both really liked it.  Everything was well done but I also agree that it was the Ken Miles story. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/17/19 8:42 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Just got back from watching The Ken Miles Story :) 

I thoroughly enjoyed the focus on Miles until I realized that Hollywood would not choose to end the movie without killing him again.

I would have been perfectly happy to watch Ken testing the new car with the Shelby voice-over talking about 7000rpm, and fade to post script/credits. Everything between the last voice-over and the end was unnecessary fluff which added nothing to the movie.

I do feel bad for those of you who cannot watch a car related movie and simply be entertained. I had to skip over this thread for fear implanting too many critical view points until I had seen it myself.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/19 8:58 a.m.

Saw it last night with one of my FSAE undergrad Bros who has worked at Ford since the mid-90’s.  One highlight for both of us was the red folder and Shel’s explanation of the path it took to get to HF2.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/19 9:11 a.m.
gumby said

I do feel bad for those of you who cannot watch a car related movie and simply be entertained. 

This, so much berkeleying this.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/19 10:05 a.m.

I think putting the focus on Ken was the right choice. The actual story of the development of the GT40 is not that compelling for non car nerds once you get past the “the Deuce got mad and spent all the money”. As for finishing the story - the fact that he never got a chance to stand on the top step is a big part of what makes it so poignant. You can’t hang the movie on Miles and leave that bit out. It would have been a gross oversight to leave it off.

im looking forward to the sequel - 1968/69. Those are the legendary wins. No more big blocks. No massive funding. An out of date chassis. A small team with only two (or was it three?) cars beating the Porsche Goliath with strategy, testing and professionalism. A surprise extra lap at the end with both leaders running on fumes. A minuscule margin of victory for the same car that had won the previous race. 

Now that is your GT40 story. 

Mustang50
Mustang50 New Reader
11/17/19 10:06 a.m.

Saw it last night, it is the the Ken Miles story (maybe not totally factual).  They down played the role Phil Remington played in the development of the GT40.  Also did not show the total failure the car was before it was sent to Shelby.  No mention of Pete Brock and the Daytona coupe.  

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
11/17/19 12:40 p.m.

I want to see the 1965 movie.

Ford brings a ton of cars.

Ferrari gets all their privateers together.

Both companies have a giant dick-swinging contest

No factory owned car finishes the race.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
11/17/19 12:46 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Wasn't that the race heard on the radio while Miles was working in the shop? 

Keith Tanner
11/17/19 12:56 p.m.

It was. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/17/19 1:28 p.m.
Patrick said:
gumby said

I do feel bad for those of you who cannot watch a car related movie and simply be entertained. 

I'd have to agree. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/17/19 1:39 p.m.
Slippery said:
Patrick said:
gumby said

I'd have to agree. 

+1. While it may not have been 100% historically correct or given credit to every single person involved, we still got a cool, fun movie about a wild event. We could have gotten more Fast & The Furious E36 M3. The only thing I noticed that was glaringly wrong was at one of the scenes in the Shelby hangar the Daytona coupe that was in the background for a good bit had 17" wheels. But most of the replicas out there are running that and probably won't fit 15s

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/19 1:44 p.m.
Patrick said:

Thoroughly enjoyed it, didn't go into it trying to spot inaccuracies.  

It's not like trying to spot them, it's like you notice them and it bothers you that it's inaccurate.  Like that scene in Inglorious Basterds when the guy in the bar orders three drinks by holding up his index, middle, and ring finger, instead of his thumb, index, and middle finger like a German would have.

I mean, in that case it turned out to be a plot point, but it was jarring all the same.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/17/19 1:51 p.m.

One thing I was thinking watching it was "Wow, repeated 7000rpm out of a Ford FE." I know that the 427s in the GT40 were not exactly anything exotic. They used the medium-riser heads and intake, same as what you would find in a Galaxie. Mostly it was just them cutting weight out. An FE has something, I believe, 3.00" mains and 2.50" rod bearings and a really mediocre oiling system. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
11/17/19 2:01 p.m.

The only detail I noticed that bugged me was the Daytona on 17"s in the background of a few shots. That admittedly bugged me a lot though.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/17/19 2:12 p.m.
Mustang50 said:

Saw it last night, it is the the Ken Miles story (maybe not totally factual).  They down played the role Phil Remington played in the development of the GT40.  Also did not show the total failure the car was before it was sent to Shelby.  No mention of Pete Brock and the Daytona coupe.  

Pretty sure I saw the ass end of a Daytona frame in Shelby shop. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/17/19 2:15 p.m.

At the theater now to watch it with my son. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/19 2:46 p.m.
NickD said:

One thing I was thinking watching it was "Wow, repeated 7000rpm out of a Ford FE." I know that the 427s in the GT40 were not exactly anything exotic. They used the medium-riser heads and intake, same as what you would find in a Galaxie. Mostly it was just them cutting weight out. An FE has something, I believe, 3.00" mains and 2.50" rod bearings and a really mediocre oiling system. 

The mediocre oiling system is why the 427s had their own oiling system.  That is why "side oilers" are so valuable.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/17/19 2:49 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

John and Ralph could make any pedestrian blue oval hang with absolutely anything else.

bearmtnmartin
11/17/19 3:00 p.m.
Patrick said:
gumby said

If It's OK to be charged over $100.00 to take your family to see a movie it's OK to be somewhat critical of their efforts. I don't see anyone saying they did not enjoy the show. Some of us just pointed out some areas that could be improved. GRM is a tough audience because many of us have first hand experience with the subject matter. If it was a quilting website I'm sure some of the finer points would not be discussed.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/17/19 3:05 p.m.
bearmtnmartin said:
Patrick said:
gumby said

If It's OK to be charged over $100.00 to take your family to see a movie it's OK to be somewhat critical of their efforts. I don't see anyone saying they did not enjoy the show. Some of us just pointed out some areas that could be improved. GRM is a tough audience because many of us have first hand experience with the subject matter. If it was a quilting website I'm sure some of the finer points would not be discussed.

Where in the world are you going/how big is your family that you are getting charged over $100? My father and I went last night and it was $23.

Keith Tanner
11/17/19 3:09 p.m.
bearmtnmartin said:
Mustang50 said:

Pretty sure I saw the ass end of a Daytona frame in Shelby shop. 

The wooden body buck was clearly visible in at least two shots, at least one was inside the office. I think it was when Iacocca first came to the Shelby garage. 

I’m okay with the story changes. I had a harder time with what sounded like a full-bore upshift under braking. Did a great job of capturing speed at times, though. I’m pretty sure I saw air under a front tire during the Henry Ford ride along. 

I’m also not sure that I’d call the GT40 an American car, especially in the post-Shelby era. But it’s part of the hook. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
11/17/19 4:01 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Welcome to Canuckistan.

1 ticket is $25.00 at our theatres.

bearmtnmartin
11/17/19 4:07 p.m.
NickD said:
bearmtnmartin said:
Patrick said:
gumby said

Where in the world are you going/how big is your family that you are getting charged over $100? My father and I went last night and it was $23.

$14.99 can X 5 family plus one friend =$90.00 plus tax plus about the same for snacks, so around $180.00 total.  Movies are not cheap if you have kids.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/17/19 4:36 p.m.

My only complaint was the theater didn't have the sound turned up. I should have been able to feel the car engines. I know the place had good speakers because stuff was exploding in the theater beside us.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/17/19 4:42 p.m.
slefain said:

My only complaint was the theater didn't have the sound turned up. I should have been able to feel the car engines. I know the place had good speakers because stuff was exploding in the theater beside us.

They had it cranked in the theater I went to, but Midway was playing next to us and you could still hear and feel that playing in our theatet

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kOKFY4HRalciiEiT88Ib3UuIhkA097PijEahnHmhGaJtftCwg3XnnNVeHoI5xOsv