1 ... 6 7 8 9
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/19 11:27 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

My biggest issue with the glowing brakes was that they were still glowing at the end of the Mulsanne straight.

Uhhh... They are slowing down from 200 mph, of course the brakes are glowing at the end of the straight. 

wspohn
wspohn Dork
11/24/19 12:11 p.m.

I have seen discs on sports cars at the track glowing, albeit a bit lower colour temp than they would hauling down from 200 mph!  They usually start between 800-900 F.

Rotors can easily top 1,000 F. especially on a heavier car.

The stand-by pad compound in the early 1960s was Ferodo DS 11 which started out in F1 in the 50s and trickled down to even high performance street cars (they were standard wear for my 1969 Lamborghini). I used them for 20 years before they banned asbestos, then switched to modern compounds which I found to actually be better, having similar high heat behaviour but less time to warm up and being effective.  I don't know that this is what Ford would have been running in the 60s - they may have had a better idea and created their own compound.  In any case the glow is to be expected, though as I said, not likely the same colour at both ends.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/november-2001/51/ferodo-ds11

My friend that raced his GT 40 used modern carbon metallic pads and told me they were better than the old material.  

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/19 12:17 p.m.
Javelin said:
Tom_Spangler said:

My biggest issue with the glowing brakes was that they were still glowing at the end of the Mulsanne straight.

Uhhh... They are slowing down from 200 mph, of course the brakes are glowing at the end of the straight. 

Before the braking point?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/19 3:34 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
Javelin said:
Tom_Spangler said:

Before the braking point?

Well as pointed out by a bunch of people, yes back in the day. Did you see the photo of the parked GT40? But in any case, I thought they weren't glowing in the movie until they "overheated" and Miles "lost pedal", which would make sense.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/19 4:58 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

That's the kind of stuff I was trying to find.  Thanks!

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
11/25/19 10:18 a.m.

I enjoyed the movie very much.  I knew the basics of the story and was inspired by the movie to do some more reading on the topic.  I was disappointed with what I found:

-The Willow Springs race at the beginning wasn’t a real event.

-Miles never threw a wrench at Shelby.

-Shelby didn’t take over the piloting of the plane at the Mustang reveal.

-Miles and Shelby never got into a fist fight.

-Shelby never locked an executive in an office nor did he take Henry Ford for a ride.

-Shelby never bet his company on the outcome of the Daytona 24.

-Shelby knew that Miles wouldn’t be the winner when Ford orchestrated the finish. Shelby American was also running the #2 Ford GT team.  Shelby only felt bad about it after Miles was killed.

-While the movie implies that brake failure killed Miles, the cause of the testing accident was never determined.

So the major story arch is true but pretty much all of the details are made up, which is too bad.  Again, I enjoyed it at the time, but was disappointed to learn all of this afterwards.  The movie seems to be doing pretty well; maybe we’ll get more racing movies in the not too distance future.  I’m definitely going to go watch the Adam Carola documentaries that were mentioned in this thread now.   

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/25/19 10:51 a.m.

I with Tom on the glowing brakes.  They were red right at the beginning of the braking on the Mulsanne after they've had three miles to cool down.  Metallic brakes don't work like that, especially as they were using lift and coast.  Now, modern carbon brakes glow red effectivly instantly, but not iron.

Also, while 'the 24 hour War' is better on accuracy than the movie, it's still a program made by people over here who imply, forget imply, straight out state that Ford engineers designed every part of the car, completely omitting the fact that the original GT (later GT40) was a revamped Lola Mk VI and that the early cars were made in the UK at Abby panels.  Also Ford Advanced Vehicles was originally set up in the UK and run by a Brit Roy Lunn who had started out at Aston Martin.  I know, it kinda distracts from the patriotic flag waving.  

Both the movie and the documentary also ignore that after the Mk IV won in 1967, the 68 adn 69 victories were by JWA back with 289 Mk I cars after the bog blocks cars were regulated out.  

j_tso
j_tso New Reader
11/25/19 12:19 p.m.
CrashDummy said:

-Miles never threw a wrench at Shelby.

I thought there was going to be a callback to that scene with Shelby waving a hammer at Miles at Sebring for racing Gurney who was in another Ford, and that actually happened.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
11/25/19 12:45 p.m.

Saw the movie Saturday with the wife and we both really enjoyed it.  She loved the movie overall and really wants to build a race car and drive it with me now after we move to Sebring, so that's a plus.  The parts where they "hollywooded" it up annoyed the crap out of me, but otherwise I really enjoyed all the cars.  I still dream of owning a replica shelby daytona coupe one day.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
11/25/19 5:04 p.m.
kb58 said:

There's another documentary on Netflix, this one called "Carroll Shelby." It's apparently made by the same people who made the other documentary "24 Hour War", because a LOT of it used the same footage. Still interested, the new parts at least.

Adam Carolla. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/25/19 5:50 p.m.
kb58 said:

There's another documentary on Netflix, this one called "Carroll Shelby." It's apparently made by the same people who made the other documentary "24 Hour War", because a LOT of it used the same footage. Still interested, the new parts at least.

I've seen both and there is not a lot of shared video clips. I also listen to the Adam Carolla podcast and he's talked a lot about these docs. He was shooting the 24 Hour War doc and there was so much Shelby stuff that he decided to do a doc on Shelby American. They are both pretty good

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/19 9:33 p.m.

I saw Enzo without sunglasses.  Is that accurate?  I thought he even slept in them.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
11/26/19 4:08 p.m.

How is the language in the movie? Thinking about taking my son.

wae
wae UltraDork
11/26/19 4:39 p.m.

In reply to BoostedBrandon :

There were a couple f-bombs and some use of other colorful metaphors.

Sk1dmark
Sk1dmark GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/26/19 8:27 p.m.

It's PG-13 so nothing over the top.

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
11/27/19 2:12 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Two Lane Blacktop was way better than Vanishing Point, but ya had to be into street racing for money. Kinda weird, and prolly helped to be stoned, but I wasn't... Definitely part of those times though. Even being part of those times, neither ending did much for me. The remake of Vanishing Point was VERY lame.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
11/27/19 4:20 a.m.

There's enough to be uncomfortable and it did not fit the context. As soon as you heard it I was reminded that this is a modern film and not era correct. It is a good movie. But very Hollywooded. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/19 12:54 p.m.

I feel sorry for the children of Leo Beebe if what they say about his character being assassinated is true.  In fact, I’m a little pissed off about them taking license to do that.

j_tso
j_tso New Reader
11/27/19 1:50 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Do you think people like Shelby didn't swear?

parker
parker Reader
11/27/19 7:40 p.m.

Unless your son is home schooled or has not yet made it to third grade there isn't anything he hasn't heard.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/28/19 8:59 p.m.

when Carroll Shelby tells you that it's going to rain at night.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/28/19 9:02 p.m.
rustybugkiller said:

I think the important thing here is that the movie was entertaining enough for even non car enthusiasts to enjoy and that might encourage new enthusiasts.

Well maybe not to the SCCA...

realspeed
realspeed New Reader
11/29/19 5:33 a.m.

Hoping I would get the expectations I have in mind. 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf New Reader
11/29/19 10:38 a.m.

I don't know if this has been posted here but I just ran across it. 

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/ford-made-carroll-shelby-racing-222741863.html 

Interesting stuff, race footage, shop scenes, Pete Brock doing a how to @ Willow with Ken Miles and Dan Gurney.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
11/29/19 10:08 p.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

And perhaps most importantly Ford was not preventing Miles from driving the car, so really the entire movie is a collection of made-up drama. The falsehoods were interesting to watch, but otherwise badly misrepresenting the true history.

1 ... 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KWtoaF5dxrM7AyfMNLQBITubV23bY8Wq5l3Y8EWDmEbsZsS2neWaq6jjtZi0OYwZ