1 ... 3 4 5
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/9/19 11:13 a.m.

That seems like a satisfactory ending, all things considered.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
10/9/19 11:53 a.m.

$1.1k? Hot damn, not bad at all.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
10/9/19 2:09 p.m.

It was the least they could do.  Buddy had an engine failure on an Accord that was about 5000 over on the warranty miles and Honda just took care of it, same thing with a defective transmission on a Civic.

drought
drought New Reader
6/14/21 5:26 p.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

Sorry to bring this back, having the same issue.  Did you contact Ford directly and bypassed the dealer on this?  Can you share how you did?  They just quoted me $8k to replace the engine block my 2017 Edge as well, pretty deflated.

jharry3 said:

To recap the original post: My wife's 2017 Ford Edge, 2.0 liter turbo 4 cylinder,  with 65,000 miles on it was over the mileage warranty by 5000 miles.  The original warranty was 3 years/60,000 miles. The original engine failed at 2 years, 65,000 miles with a major crack in the block.     This happened with no warning until  water and steam started shooting out the exhaust one morning when my wife started it.  I brought it to a Ford dealer, they knew exactly what the problem was, and showed me a Ford Technical Service Bulletin which indicated to put in a new engine long block if this occurs. 

Conclusion:  In the interest of customer satisfaction, and as a good will gesture,  Ford gave me a new engine and almost all the parts needed for the swap.

It is a new and re-designed engine, some of the old parts like the idler pulley and a few others from the old engine did not fit on the new engine so I had to buy those.   The dealer, but not Ford, told me engines have a defect.

Additionally they charged me the labor rate that Ford pays for warranty claims, this is a lower rate than the standard dealer rate.

At the end of the day my bill was $1,100, not the original $8,100 that was quoted.

Ford's customer service was excellent, responded quickly, and I am very pleased that I have a new engine with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.  I kept all conversations and emails polite, positive, kept the theme of my disappointment in having a block cracking failure, noted it was only 2 years into the 3 year warranty and only 5000 miles out of warranty.      So other than the inconvenience of being without a vehicle for close to a month Ford did right as far as I am concerned.     Fortunately I have a  spare car to drive, a Miata, so we did not have to rent a car during this time period. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/14/21 7:43 p.m.

In reply to drought :

You would be better served by contacting Ford Customer Service directly. 

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
6/15/21 9:51 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Ford didn't take any bailout money because they'd saved enough cash by cutting corners with engine blocks, water pumps and DSG transmissions  that they didn't need it ... devil

Ouch.  Hysterically funny, but ouch....

car39
car39 Dork
6/15/21 10:44 a.m.

In reply to einy :

In my experience, you are only required to produce the records for the time you owned the vehicle.  Not saying that is always true, you can always find someone who doesn't read the policy manual.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/15/21 11:27 a.m.

In reply to drought :

I contacted Ford directly.  I think first by phone call and later email.  Look up the technical service bulletins I posted in my early posts and see if there are any more following it.  Once Ford agreed to help out the dealership became very cooperative.

My brother, who worked as a mechanic and Factory Trainer at a Ford Dealership for years told me to stay polite, mention how disappointed I was with the failure, mention all the previous Ford vehicles I owned, and,above all, do not mention lawyers or lawsuits in any email or conversation because communication will cease.  

The Edge is still running and has about 130,000 miles on it, so that's 65,000 miles since the engine change.   65,000 is how long the first engine lasted so fingers crossed..

Another thing on this 2017 EDGE - The flexible brake lines are defective.  We found out when brakes went out when she was  almost home one day.  She was able to pump the brakes to stop in the drive way.   Ford ended up repairing this for free though I  had to have it towed to a dealership.  (Didn't have time to work on it because of work obligations)   Dealership cooperated though reluctantly at first because the Ford factory would not admit it was a problem.  Then I found a technical bulletin they published and Ford shut up and sent a replacement line.    Turned out there was a recall pending for this that had not yet been published.  Imagine if her brakes had failed going 70 mph on an interstate highway!     The recall was published recently, probably 4 months after our incident, and its to replace the front flexible brake hoses.

p.s. I remember telling my wife when the engine problem happened that most people won't hit 65,000 miles before the 3 year warranty is up so will find out about the engine problem after both the time and mileage limit of the warranty is over.

drought
drought New Reader
6/15/21 11:48 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

Thank you hugely for your help!  Fingers crossed they cooperate! 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/15/21 3:02 p.m.
tremm said:

Perfect timing to temper the enthusiasm I felt for the Maverick. Stay classy Ford.

FWIW, the Maverick engine is not exactly the same motor.  May be the same line, but the engine is very much updated from 5 years ago.  If that helps Ford be more classy (whatever that means).

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/15/21 3:05 p.m.
_ said:

Do you know who almost never has any problems with the main components of an engine? Nearly every Japanese company that has ever existed. 

My friend on her second Odyssey engine in under 100K because of broken rings and ringlands which Honda also claimed were wear items would beg to disagree.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R72hx8jnUAU36N6hv8TZxVllkgcbsUgOgVmZSR0X9cjxBLZvlRXquIv7HVblgEEj