1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/11 2:23 p.m.

Look what we'll be able to buy second-hand in ~5 years for pennies!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/27/what-the-fashionable-detective-will-be-driving-this-fall/

That beastie is an extended G8-platform with a 6.0L LSx! Mmmmmmmmmmmm....

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/27/11 2:24 p.m.

I want one so bad it hurts.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
7/27/11 2:26 p.m.

Considering how popular the G8/GTO were, the demand for used ones will be, well, small. So you should be able to get one for a song.

Like sing to the detective....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/11 2:30 p.m.

that looks damn good

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/27/11 2:30 p.m.

...except that word on the street is that these will be required to be crushed at the end of service, rather than sold to private hands.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
7/27/11 2:44 p.m.
Duke wrote: ...except that word on the street is that these will be required to be crushed at the end of service, rather than sold to private hands.

That's what i've heard, and it makes baby jesus cry. One thing I HAVE heard and I don't know if it's possible anymore is that you used to be able to flat our order a 9c1/p71 for civvy use, if you went to the dealer that handled the distro for interceptors in the area. I've seen it done a couple times with the panther platform in particular.... I wonder if it won't be possible again.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/27/11 2:51 p.m.

WHY!!!!!!! Finally something that the general makes that we want.... and we can't get it.

Javelin
7/27/11 2:53 p.m.
Duke wrote: ...except that word on the street is that these will be required to be crushed at the end of service, rather than sold to private hands.

Unpossible. The Departments make money selling the old cruisers, and they know it. That's why the specially-built Robocop looking thing isn't selling. There's already Chargers hitting the blocks and the SHO doesn't have that restriction either. Heck, some dealers were selling them to civilians new! (Talk about a Golden Unicorn on that one)

Javelin
7/27/11 3:11 p.m.

It is much, much larger than the W-Body Impala.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
7/27/11 3:36 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
That's what i've heard, and it makes baby jesus cry. One thing I HAVE heard and I don't know if it's possible anymore is that you used to be able to flat our order a 9c1/p71 for civvy use, if you went to the dealer that handled the distro for interceptors in the area. I've seen it done a couple times with the panther platform in particular.... I wonder if it won't be possible again.

My dad has a friend who's son works for Ford. He was able to order civvy P71s through his son until the body style changed for 1998, then Ford put their foot down on civvy P71s and he could not get them anymore. BUT, he could order a Detective's Grand Marquis P71. So there was a loophole.

Now you can't order any civvy cop cars

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/27/11 3:39 p.m.

I want my 9C1 with an LSD and a supercharger.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/11 3:42 p.m.

Extended G8 platform - sounds like a Holden Caprice.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
7/27/11 3:57 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Unpossible. The Departments make money selling the old cruisers, and they know it. That's why the specially-built Robocop looking thing isn't selling. There's already Chargers hitting the blocks and the SHO doesn't have that restriction either. Heck, some dealers were selling them to civilians new! (Talk about a Golden Unicorn on that one)

yeah, count me in on the b.s. flag as well.

Javelin
7/27/11 4:26 p.m.
Keith wrote: Extended G8 platform - sounds like a Holden Caprice.

That's cause that's what it is!

Javelin
7/27/11 4:27 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I want my 9C1 with an LSD and a supercharger.

Yes, that. In Black. Park it next to my Impala SS and GNX in my dream GM garage.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/27/11 4:33 p.m.

nah... white/silver are invisible to radar in a car like that. I'll take mine in white. Yes, I'm racist.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
7/27/11 4:44 p.m.

Beige. Give me high school detective beige. and ALL the nitrous.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
7/27/11 5:14 p.m.

i love how plain they look. besides not wanting a charger because of the endless stream of parts i seem to sell for them at work all day, theyre so attractive everybody else will want one too.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
7/27/11 5:23 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Beige. Give me high school detective beige. and ALL the nitrous.

I laughed at this one!!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
7/27/11 5:23 p.m.

Whoops!

I can see it happening too. The might of the EPA is a serious thing. Or, hell even UPS crushes all of it's brown trucks. I can easily see GM writing that into the contracts.

mw
mw HalfDork
7/27/11 8:12 p.m.

I guess we'll have to steal them...

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 New Reader
7/27/11 8:33 p.m.

If GM mandates crushing them instead of selling then they'll either have to make the price more than competitive with Dodge and Ford, or put a buy-back program in place for them.

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
7/27/11 9:34 p.m.

Well i hope the come to their senses its the only cool gm car right now

benzbaron
benzbaron Dork
7/27/11 11:38 p.m.

I want one, I'm not much interested in american cars other than big old 60s devilles but the GTO, G8, GXP really got my attention. I'd love one of those things, they really look nice. Hopefully they get released to the public, I would seriously consider one.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
7/28/11 6:13 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote:
Javelin wrote:
yeah, count me in on the b.s. flag as well.

Considering what they sell them for, do they really make much money on it? In any case, I'd personally rather have an SHO.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
igty7hiZF8VsczvK8WGOb1xSjwiLqiSJnmUkVdRR1raJ74BG887zyUbC7Nd8AVwy