1 2
snap_understeer
snap_understeer None
3/1/12 12:16 p.m.

Hey, I'm Thomas. I'm going out on a limb here, because I am the idiotic genius behind Stop The Econobox, and anyone you think was that guy. I've recently sold My V8 Dodge Diplomat, because I knew it was just a matter of time before I ended up wrapped around a tree. Plus, my friends keep pressuring me to get something 'fuel efficient' I'm thinking an 88 Colt with a T25 Mitsubishi turbo, but I will like some real advice. my requirements are under $1400, and preferably would like to get it from an automotive salvage yard. it also has to have reasonably good parts support. The rest is up to you.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 12:23 p.m.

Ok I will get it over with.

MIATA

3 Series BMW

P71

Ok I feel better now that we got that over with

Ohya Welcome to the sanitarium for car people!!!

RossD
RossD SuperDork
3/1/12 12:24 p.m.

Welcome! Seriously, have you thought about a miata?

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
3/1/12 12:26 p.m.

And if you want to have MPG's that makes a gas station go out of business, a TDi something or another.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/1/12 12:28 p.m.

A Toyota Echo.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 12:28 p.m.

The best $1400 anything you can find.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
3/1/12 12:31 p.m.

Yeah, Miata.

Early (rusty for that price) MR2 perhaps

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
3/1/12 12:33 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

The Miata idea will work. But it has to be THE rattiest Miata ever. Keep it looking like that, and maybe add a mild cam. However, the P71 is looking more and more attractive, especially with the 4.6 being an easy ECU swap from a 96-04 mustang, so that i could go manual. Those are cool ideas, thanks for the info!

failboat
failboat Dork
3/1/12 12:36 p.m.

Come on.

You cant just post about a "Lethal V8 Dodge Diplomat" and not post pictures.

snap_understeer
3/1/12 12:41 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: haha. that was my college grad. gift. I sold that as soon as I dynoed it. it was losing power. fast. I sold it right there to get the 87 caravan, which the engine promptly went, and i replaced it wit a Lebaron 2.2 turbo. I then traded up to a Sienna for my hauling expeditions, and that's when i bought back the dip wagon's shell from alberta. one Magnum V8 and a dakota drivetrain later, it was roadworthy. I sold that once my mom found out about my 100+ MPH runs on the 401. any questions?

snap_understeer
3/1/12 12:42 p.m.

In reply to failboat: my old PC died on me 2 months ago, so all the pics i had of it were erased

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
3/1/12 12:57 p.m.
snap_understeer wrote: that was my college grad. gift.

Welcome back.
Sorry to hear your computer died. I figure that you may be writing this on tablet/phone.
I was going to keep this to myself until your wrote what you did above and now seeing that I will comment.
Could you please and honestly try to be better with the punctuation and capitals to start a sentence? I know that can be harder on a phone keyboard but the functions are there and available.

snap_understeer
3/1/12 1:26 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: 3 Series BMW

I think a manual e30 325e would be pretty easy to find, and heads from a 325i aren't that hard to find. I have to keep my eyes open for one of those. Any oddball suggestions? Maybe I should just get a manual tempo, and hoon the e36 m3 out of it!

snap_understeer
3/1/12 2:00 p.m.
snap_understeer wrote:
dean1484 wrote: 3 Series BMW
I think a manual e30 325e would be pretty easy to find, and heads from a 325i aren't that hard to find. I have to keep my eyes open for one of those. Any oddball suggestions? Maybe I should just get a manual tempo, and hoon the e36 m3 out of it!

Okay, I've found an e30 for $300. problem is, it's a 318, and the shell's pretty rough. It doesn't start either. I have also found an e30 for $600. It, as well is a 318, except it's an is model. the gasket's blown. I was thinking, should I buy the cheap one, and fix it properly, or buy the expensive shell, and running train, except for engine, and go for a Megasquirted windsor 302. What do you think?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
3/1/12 2:25 p.m.

Wait, you sold a decent ride because of friends' MPG peer pressure?

Yeah Mary, get a Miata.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
3/1/12 3:35 p.m.

I've always thought it would be amusing to have a BMW 318 powered by a Chrysler 318. Just because the numbers fit.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/1/12 4:14 p.m.

Based on your criteria, I think the only real answer is a 1971-73 Ford Capri with the 2.0.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 11:14 p.m.

66 Bonneville with a Duramax swap.

.... oh wait that's me.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
3/2/12 12:44 a.m.

'Nother Diplomat but with a 4BT swap.

30MPG and your lethal woes will no longer exist.

HOORAY, everyone is a winrar!

E:also, why are your friends such weenies? Mine always pressured me to get worse mileage vehicles.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
3/2/12 1:00 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Wait, you sold a decent ride because of friends' MPG peer pressure?

seriously.. really?

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
3/2/12 1:05 a.m.

If you had a problem with a Diplomat, most of the suggestions you'll get here will also try to kill you.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
3/2/12 1:13 a.m.

Oh yeah, now I want a Diplomat again, so thanks for that.

snap_understeer
3/2/12 8:06 a.m.

I'm not getting another Dip, it has THE WORST suspension of anything out of Detroit of that era.

snap_understeer
3/2/12 9:07 a.m.

What about a 1991 GEO Metro, with Suzuki G10T JDM manifolds? Or should I just put a can on that, and go with a Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.6?

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
3/2/12 9:26 a.m.

Ok Celica- you suck. You were ALL UP in this post..... know DAMN well what's available for nothin' with decent support, and you don't say it? SHAME ON YOU.

Snap_Understeer- the answer is clearly mx6 GT. Or 626 GT. Really anything with an f2t in it. I got mine for 400$. I think Celica paid less than a grand for his. They're out there.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eE5uPsdobtUSCtBeabwabUjwd7AuFeoF74D0swzZNtJcLsRBRDYKXaW1rqDW2TC8