https://www.yahoo.com/news/romain-grosjean-wins-first-indycar-222841939.html

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
5/15/21 2:36 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:

I know this isn't an F1 story but . . . 

Romain Grosjean wins first IndyCar pole at Indianapolis

And just about halfway through the race (lap 40 of 85) and he's still leading, by quite a bit I might add. Hope I didn't just jinx him.  I'm a huge Pato fan, but am rooting for Grosjean today.

-Rob

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
5/15/21 3:44 p.m.
rob_lewis said:
L5wolvesf said:

And just about halfway through the race (lap 40 of 85) and he's still leading, by quite a bit I might add. Hope I didn't just jinx him.  I'm a huge Pato fan, but am rooting for Grosjean today.

-Rob

2nd place in his 3rd? race of his 1st season is pretty darn good. 

Annnd, Marzipan how may wrecks so far? That Haas to be expensive . . . da?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
5/15/21 5:44 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:
rob_lewis said:
L5wolvesf said:

-Rob

2nd place in his 3rd? race of his 1st season is pretty darn good. 

Annnd, Marzipan how may wrecks so far? That Haas to be expensive . . . da?

Yeah, no complaints.  RoGro did great!

Regarding the spending cap next year (your mention of Mazepin reminded me), how does it work with wrecks?  If the spending cap applies to broken cars, Haas will run out of money by mid-year next year....

-Rob

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/21 6:42 p.m.

Exactly! Mercedes has already commented on how the Bottas wreck will affect upgrades this year. A Mazepin level of destruction will take the whole bag of money. At least his damage has been restricted to some bodywork and his Superlicense so far. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
5/15/21 7:05 p.m.

Ok, serious question: If one driver of a team keeps wrecking parts and the team is short on money or is in danger of going over budget, will that driver not get equal parts to the driver who isn't wrecking parts? 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
5/15/21 8:31 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Exactly! Mercedes has already commented on how the Bottas wreck will affect upgrades this year. A Mazepin level of destruction will take the whole bag of money. At least his damage has been restricted to some bodywork and his Superlicense so far. 

Funny you should mention bags of money (ak.a. dough). I just looked at Dada Marzipan on Wiki. He has a notable work history in Russian banking. So handling money via bags may not be foreign to him. I wonder how through F1's financial reviews will be. 

I would be more surprised if Haas was not eventually sold to Comrade Marzipan. As long a boychik doesn't wreck the team first 

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
5/16/21 7:53 a.m.

Kudos to Grosjean, always liked him even if he did seem hit or miss in F1.  Was interesting to see that 1/4 of the Indy car drivers were former F1 drivers.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/16/21 2:43 p.m.
HoserRacing said:

Kudos to Grosjean, always liked him even if he did seem hit or miss in F1.  Was interesting to see that 1/4 of the Indy car drivers were former F1 drivers.  

He had a good weekend.  He seemed terribly happy for a guy who ended up second after leading a ton, but I guess second is a whole lot better than he's seen over the last decade.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
5/16/21 6:13 p.m.

Always loved the Gulf livery, so I'm a little jazzed to see McLaren bringing it back for Monaco this year:

Press Release

-Rob

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/16/21 7:03 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
HoserRacing said:

He had a good weekend.  He seemed terribly happy for a guy who ended up second after leading a ton, but I guess second is a whole lot better than he's seen over the last decade.

He has finished 2nd at least twice in F1 and on the podium 3 or 4 times at least.  

I get your point however.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
5/20/21 6:36 a.m.

Monaco weekend! 
Lando just signed a new deal at McLaren. 
Zac Brown McLaren sure seems like a much different place than Ron Dennis McLaren! 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
5/20/21 7:05 a.m.

How long before Mazepin wrecks a car in Monaco? The race sucks but Monaco qualifying is always exciting. I have only driven it in a video game but driving around there at full speed is crazy. If FP1 is a guide, qualifying could throw up some interesting results.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
5/20/21 7:35 a.m.

Super excited for Monaco.  Love the gulf livery.  

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/20/21 8:33 a.m.

Sainz is proper fast in the Ferrari, leading FP2 at the moment.

EDIT:  LeClerc just pipped Sainz, Ferrari 1-2 with 16 minutes left in the session. 

AaronT
AaronT Reader
5/20/21 1:49 p.m.

I just drove Monaco in an f3 car in the sim for the first time last night, it's completely bonkers and I can't say I enjoy it. That said, fp2 was really exciting to watch. So many push laps, so many leaderboard changes! I'm excited for qualy! 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
5/21/21 9:16 p.m.

I am not a Red Bull fan but I wish the FIA would drop clamping down on flexible wings. If RB or Alfa Romeo have figured out how to pass the tests and still bend enough to gain speed, let them.  They have figured out how to legally gain an advantage and should be left alone. This is how the F1 rule book keeps getting thicker and thicker, they have to keep adding or rewriting rules because teams find ways around the rules. The racing isn't improved by adding more rules and new rules certainly don't keep costs down, either.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/22/21 7:47 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

I disagree.  First, the intent of the rule is to prevent the wings from moving some angle (which I can't remember what it is), and it's tested via specific wing loadings.  If you pass the "test" but not the intent, that's still cheating, as I see it.  That's a constant worry in my world.  And I think the intent is spelled out, but I don't know.

In my world- that's just like how VW cheated the emissions testing.

As for the cost- if that's found legal, that just set up the rest of the teams the expense of copying the same thing.  As opposed to the teams that figured out a way to cheat the intent of the rule.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/22/21 9:02 a.m.

That's one way to solidify your pole!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/22/21 10:02 a.m.

Intent.  If the intention of the rule is to have an immobile wing, then it's a stupid way to write a rule, because immobile is impossible.  RB passed the test.  If they update the test, they will have to update the wing.  

Very interesting quali.  It really showed different low speed strengths in the cars, and Valeri obviously made the right choice to wholesale changes before quali.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/22/21 10:51 a.m.

That quali was shocking!

I think the only person in the top 10 that is happy is 10th!  Giovanazi! 

Top 5 places with 4 different teams.  Crazy!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/21 12:18 p.m.

Didn't RB try the wing deflection trick a few years ago and got shot down for it? They're cheating the tests, which is nowhere near as interesting as developing a more effective part or concept. Wings are not supposed to deflect. That's the regulation.

Monaco just doesn't interest me as a race. About all you can do is not crash and get your pit stops right. Here's hoping LeClerc holds the lead through the first corner, though! It's been a long time since he was on the front row. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
5/22/21 12:21 p.m.

https://youtu.be/X_lFFLpHuSQ

Interesting video I saw this morning regarding the setup/takedown on facilities for the Monaco GP.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/22/21 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

They are passing the tests.  That doesn't mean that they will pass a more stringent test...

Build the car to the enforcement, or be left behind, according to Andy Petrie. 

Monaco and Talladega fall into the same category for me.  Not really races.  Big show, but not really representative of the sport.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 99

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FGJXYnJxL3lG4eWfLZqewxDX88OqMFsck4Sacs8nub7pCMKV16NcKpwWD4MmpAb2