1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 99
AaronT
AaronT Reader
9/26/21 6:32 p.m.

I imagine the whole of McLaren will be doing a postmortem on this incident. Lots of ifs and hard to say exactly what's the right call should have been at the time. The pit wall always has more info than the cockpit though.

That dude in moto gp did the same as Lando a few weeks back and won the race.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/26/21 6:37 p.m.

Zac Browns day got even worse when Pato got shunted at Long Beach today.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/26/21 6:38 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I'd hate to be the steward that piled on with a penalty there...sad

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/26/21 7:10 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Dood...   spoiler!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/26/21 7:39 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Dood...   spoiler!

First lap...

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/26/21 8:32 p.m.

It's unfortunate Lando didn't come in with Lewis, Lewis at that point was just covering the rest of the field and playing it safe for the championship and McLaren should have realized that and been firmer with their driver. Lando's first win will still come though (and it'll be great to see him up there), hopefully he learned something today that will pay off down the road when he is in the title fight. 

Even without the rain at the end that was a fun race from start to end, a good mix up in qualy pays off again. The result was pretty funny after all of that, Max got really lucky with the weather as he would've just got a few points otherwise.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/26/21 8:35 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
wvumtnbkr said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Dood...   spoiler!

First lap...

Yep.  Didn't watch it yet....

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
9/26/21 9:03 p.m.

Fun Race start to finish. 

LAND-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!crying

Max and Lewis and lesser so LeClerc did a decent job moving from further down the grid than they should have been. 

Lewis managed the start and achieved his best outcome of not getting into contact. Then he just prodded Daniel along keeping as close as reasonable to George Russell to have a chance later in the race. Then when Daniel pitted he pushed rather moderately hard to build a gap over a handfull of laps. Then just sauntered up the back of Lando's Mclaren. Then Lewis and MB proved their worth by working together to realize that they had double or triple the pit stop gap back to Sainz  so why NOT pit for Inters, trust the pitstop crew to do their job right and if it doesn't rain harder you still have 2nd. They pitted on the perfect lap. Max said he almost pitted too early and should have waited a lap later like Lewis. 100, ONE HUNDRED, 1 0 0  WINS AMAZING stuff from the best driver of all time. 

Max was on the the Mediums when the rain started and he easily got by Daniel and Sainz then all the cars ahead of him waited too late to pit for inters and he jumped them all. Good measured race, though he almost lost his wing trying the pass on LeClerc?

Lando did everything he should have. The team wanted a win rather than play it safe for points. It might have worked out if the rain held off for 3 more minutes.. I was quite sad for him he is doing very well in the championship but just can't get that win. It would have been very interesting to see him and Lewis race those last few laps in the dry or with the the light drizzle at just one corner or something. 

I had a long good laugh when DiResta sees the director put up a replay of Vettel in car and he says, "What's this!? Goin'a see Vettel spin?"  Man Vettel has built a reputation in a couple seasons of just being worth a good on board replay of a spin. LOL

RUSSELL another point now just two behind Yuki and 8 behind Stroll!!! CRAZY. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/5/21 3:05 p.m.

Wow, my first post in the 2021 F1 thread, shows how my interest has wained over the last couple of years compared to Indycar.

But I've been sick so just had a chance to catch up on the Schumacher documentary on Netflix the other day.

It was actually better than I thought. It did a great job of showing what a wonderful human being he is (was?), but as feared it really went light on the negatives of his on track behavior that prevent him from ever being considered a true great by many, myself included. Even the Senna pic, which was heavily vetted by Senna's family, gave a little more fair sided coverage of some of his on track negatives. Other than Hill 94, and even then they forgot to mention he was driving an illegal car, and Villaneauve 97, they left out all the other disgraceful and dangerous things he did.

I'm glad it exists so those who missed his era can catch up. I just wish it was more well rounded in it's portrayal, but to the victor goes the spoils, so his family can continue the narrative they've chosen.

Great human outside the car.
One of the best raw driving talents ever inside the car.
Very sub par 'Racing driver' for who statistics and worship try hard to ignore his dirty dangerous tricks and lack of sportsmanship.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
10/5/21 3:46 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

I am Schumacher fan (as well as Lauda, Senna, Prost & Hamilton) and am keenly aware of his various misdeeds. What I find ironic with this is drivers behaving badly goes at least as far back as the first F1 Champion Giuseppe Farina, yet we view this as a modern phenomenon, he punted at least two drivers off the road (both of whom died). I seem to recall Nigel roebuck referring to Farina as being homicidal.

It's the classic duality of man; some people are so goal driven that once they are in the car their normal human side evaporates. The problem with drivers of Schumacher's level of talent is they posses the finesse to pull off questionable maneuvers and routinely come away unscathed. It does diminish their accomplishments but the very thing that drives them to the top is the very thing that also causes them to behave this way.  For them you can't have one without the other....sadly.

For me Lauda will always be the pinnacle; he was as tenacious as any driver ever but still managed to conduct himself in an admirable way.

With all that said I want to see more of Ricciardo on the podium; another tenacious guy but one who also enjoys the moment to the fullest with a great sense of fun. 

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/5/21 3:51 p.m.

Very little to add here. I'm just glad to see the F1 thread make it back to the top after a few days off. I am excited to see what happens this weekend after another great race last week. Good podcast with Alex Albion on behind the grid this week. 

New York Nick
10/7/21 8:03 a.m.

I just saw this on F1.com. I have this concern that one of the two title contenders this year will get covid and miss a race or two and that will be the deciding factor. That would suck.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/7/21 8:53 a.m.

In reply to New York Nick :

Well it happened last year but it didn't matter because Hamilton basically had it in the bag. Your right this would really suck. I am just hoping the new Pirellis aren't such a advantage for Mercedes that they runaway with it again.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/7/21 9:29 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

In reply to New York Nick :

Well it happened last year but it didn't matter because Hamilton basically had it in the bag. Your right this would really suck. I am just hoping the new Pirellis aren't such a advantage for Mercedes that they runaway with it again.

I've seen the "Mercedes Pirelli advantage" thing before- that's really just Mercedes being more thorough about the tires than everyone else.  Everyone has the same info about the tires, it's up to them to make them work the best.  If the speculation is even accurate.

And remember that many thought that the floor change would have gone to Mercedes, since sealing the floor when it's closer to the ground would have theoretically been easier.  That speculation was exactly wrong.  I was prety surpised by that- as I fully expected Mercedes to have an easier time.

New York Nick
10/7/21 12:57 p.m.

I know it happened last year but like you said it didn't matter. This year it does, it would be like Lauda / Hunt in a far less gruesome way I guess. 

New York Nick
10/7/21 1:04 p.m.

New thought on F1 today.

I have never been a big fan of grid inversions and I haven't liked the sprint races, although I do like that F1 is trying something new so not bagging the trial. Carlos Sainz said today that he was excited to start from the back (paraphrasing). 

I would like to see a grid drop option. I don't know exactly how it would work but something like if you drop to the back of the grid you can get a 1 a point for every position you gain in the top 10 or something like that. So if you qualified on pole and took the grid drop then you could get 35 (25 regular 10 bonus) points if you won the race or 15 points for coming in 5th (10 regular 5 bonus). If Max did this last week (if it was by choice instead of by penalty) he would have got 27 points for coming in second. 

I am not sure exactly how you would award points and what would happen if the whole grid tried to take the drop? But this would not punish you for being fast and add some excitement and give top teams a means to chase bonus points. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/21 1:04 p.m.
New York Nick said:

I know it happened last year but like you said it didn't matter. This year it does, it would be like Lauda / Hunt in a far less gruesome way I guess. 

The most recent example is probably Schumacher in 99 where he likely would have won the championship if not for breaking his leg.

New York Nick
10/7/21 1:09 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I didn't remember that one. Good point. I guess these things happen. Hopefully not this year, whichever one of these two prevail I hope it happens on the track, and not by crashing on the track!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/8/21 9:38 p.m.

Should be fun Sunday.  Lewis is way fast in practice, but 10 grid spots for a fresh "combustion power unit"

If things don't change tomorrow, a win for him probably isn't out of reach.  Max is struggling.  Leclerc is second fast.  Track has picked up about 7 seconds from last year, too.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/9/21 9:03 a.m.

Interesting that Mercedes found the big gap to the whole field they had before- Lewis comfortably fastest. I also think he has a good chance to beat max. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/9/21 10:13 a.m.

Will Valteri pull over for Lewis if the time comes?

Based on the Merc speed, I see no particular reason that that question won't come into play.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/9/21 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

If the Mercs are that fast, it's more likely that Lewis and Valteri will never see each other. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
10/9/21 8:27 p.m.

Nor will Lewis see the podium tomorrow .....thank you Alonso...can't wait wink

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/10/21 9:03 a.m.

So the question ends up being: could Lewis finished on the one set. I saw that Ocon had a very slow last lap, so I don't think Lewis could have finished 3rd. 

AaronT
AaronT Reader
10/10/21 9:43 a.m.

Lewis did the same thing Norris did last week to similar effect. 

1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 99

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8eFP9W8ghzQtPdIChkLEeBovGhe6qY5FC1Gm8NBlNPlDfWmeWKO6g8yTry55eOrG