1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 99
AaronT
AaronT Reader
3/20/21 5:21 p.m.

I'm trying to pace my d2s watching so I have something to do until the season starts: I'm 4 in so far so I need to pace better

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/21/21 9:57 p.m.

I have been enjoying Drive to Survive and am also pacing myself until the season starts. I am very excited about this season, it may land up being E36 M3 but there are so many story lines with the new drivers, drivers changing teams, new aero,etc. I have been a Lewis fan since 2007 but now I am only a fan of his driving, all the rest of it is crap I wish I didn't know about him.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
3/22/21 3:11 p.m.

Watching drive to survive, I already disliked Cyril, this show further reinforces why. It's a shame we don't get to see Cyril and Alonso clash. I really like the "checked out" version of Vettel, pretty funny. I haven't gotten to the episode about Gasly, but I sure hope that guy get's picked up by Renault and Alonso goes away after this year.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/22/21 7:31 p.m.

Just finished watching the Ferrari episode- talk about a bad season- it was so bad, they could not afford new shirts when they lost a sponsor- just covered it with red tape.  For the whole team.  That was pretty funny, and I didn't notice last season.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/21 7:38 p.m.

Vettel was hilarious in the Ferrari episode. Heck, even the title of the episode. That poor media girl.

I noticed the red tape at the time, but I wasn't sure it was for the whole season. Looks like it was WEICHAI. I also noticed a lack of Mission Winnow (aka Marlboro) branding on their shirts.

3/22/21 8:37 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Given the requirements of the drivers suit, if the ad ban was for Italy (which it very much could have been)- those driver's suits were unique to those races- can't doctor it with tape.  And presuming the requirements of drivers suits, the cost of those suits would have bought the team new shirts for the 3 races in Italy. 

For an F1 team to do that, well... that was interesting for a team so focused on style and looks.  It was quite distracting.

Keith Tanner
3/22/21 11:07 p.m.

I think they did lose it, because some of the team shirts for sale don't have that sponsor. I guess I'm just used to seeing that sort of thing hanging around with TV types, they often have to cover up logos for onscreen use.

Man, 2020 was a crazy season. I'm really hoping we're not back to business as usual.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/25/21 8:55 a.m.

Super excited for opening weekend, I just saw this video and it made me appreciate even more how skilled these drivers are!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.good-lap-vs-great-lap-join-sergio-perez-to-find-out-what-makes-the.7q0xJos4fDsY56FCN9LFwu.html

Keith Tanner
3/25/21 11:39 a.m.

After watching the "man on fire" episode - lots packed into that one, I think both the Grosjean accident and the George Russel race messed up their developing storylines - I am really looking forward to seeing Red Bull with a strong driver pairing. Has Max ever had a teammate with that experience level? Will Checo roll over and play the second driver role or will Max have his hands full with his teammate?

Mercedes has their work cut out for them this year, I think. I think we're going to see some tests of racecraft and how they react under pressure. Other than a few bobbles, they're pretty darn good. 

3/25/21 12:27 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Daniel Ricciado?  He was the lead driver to the team when Max came in.  Checo is a great driver, but I would put Daniel ahead of him.  

Once he left, the "team" part of Red Bull has really crumbled.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
3/25/21 12:36 p.m.

Since I am new to following a bit closer this year, is there a definite way to catch the races live at all? Or a good way to watch the broadcast after the race?

Keith Tanner
3/25/21 12:40 p.m.

I'm a big fan of Danny, especially the way he kicked Vettel's butt in 2012. But he only had what, 6 seasons under his belt by the time he left Red Bull? Checo's got 10. And Max is more mature himself, he's more likely to learn from his teammate than he was three years ago.

I think the "team" part crumbled back in the V10 era when Vettel was clearly prioritized over Webber. Ricciardo made it look like it was a little more even, but I think the toxic atmosphere was a big part of why he left.

Keith Tanner
3/25/21 12:41 p.m.
DjGreggieP said:

Since I am new to following a bit closer this year, is there a definite way to catch the races live at all? Or a good way to watch the broadcast after the race?

ESPN shows them live and without breaks and then rebroadcasts again later. If you have access to ESPN's app with a cable/dish subscription or a Disney+/Hulu/ESPN bundle, you can stream them for a few weeks. The app also has all the practice sessions and qualifying.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
3/25/21 12:46 p.m.

I don't put much faith in Mercedes testing results being indicative of an issue. They might struggle a few races but I expect them to be just as dominate. 
I really hope Ricciardo being ar McLaren puts a fight to RedBull.  I would guess a lot of Checo's success will be based on how close his driving style is to Max.  I've heard RB second drivers have most of their trouble because the cars are designed more around Max's style and they have to adapt. 

The races and practices are broadcast in ESPN across their different channels live and they usually have a rebroadcast of the race later in the day on Sunday. 

-Rob

AaronT
AaronT Reader
3/25/21 1:12 p.m.
DjGreggieP said:

If you are a cable cutter you can subscribe to f1tv. I think I have the highest tier which is $10/month and gets you all practice, qual, races, replays, and iirc support races.

3/25/21 2:37 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I'm a big fan of Danny, especially the way he kicked Vettel's butt in 2012. But he only had what, 6 seasons under his belt by the time he left Red Bull? Checo's got 10. And Max is more mature himself, he's more likely to learn from his teammate than he was three years ago.

I think the "team" part crumbled back in the V10 era when Vettel was clearly prioritized over Webber. Ricciardo made it look like it was a little more even, but I think the toxic atmosphere was a big part of why he left.

Kind of an odd comparison of Checo coming in a the #2 driver with 10 years, and Danny Ric as the #1 driver with 6 years.  Danny was #1 all that season, and Max came in because Kvyat (?) didn't do well.

That atmosphere got toxic once the team started to favor Max over Dan.

Keith Tanner
3/26/21 9:43 a.m.

I still stand by my statement that Checo has nearly twice the experience today that Danny did when he left Red Bull, and this is the first time Max has had a teammate with that level of experience. Max is also more likely to learn from a teammate because he is more mature than he was a few years ago. Max will undoubtedly still be treated as the second coming by the team but I think this is going to be pretty fun to watch. I'm also looking forward to what Danny can do with a good car and a very good atmosphere. Let's hope McLaren's cash crunch last year didn't handicap the team too badly.

I was incorrect about an ESPN+ subscription getting you access to the F1 coverage. Turns out that subscription is only for random programming that apparently isn't good enough to be broadcast. That's not quite how they describe it on their site, but the truth hurts :)

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
3/26/21 8:00 p.m.

Used to be hardcore F1 fan 15 years ago, after watching drive to survive the fire to watch is back again!

About halfway through latest season now. Been watching YouTube to catch up to current. Just watched FP2, seems like this is gonna be good season. 

Im curious if Hamilton/Mercedes is gonna go through same struggles jimmy/Knaus (nascar)had after 7 year championship run. Stood on top for awhile, but like everything good in life it comes to an end eventually. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/26/21 8:09 p.m.

I don't like Perez but am still disappointed that he was just as far away from Max's times in FP2 as Gasley and Albon were. Looks like the Mercedes was a lot faster than it was in testing but also looks like the ran FP2 with the power turned down. What makes me say that? The McLarens, running the Merc engine, were really, really fast on the straights and their speed in the corners suggest that it's not because of a low downforce set up. Can't wait for Quali, I predict it will still be Lewis on top with Max very close behind.

Keith Tanner
3/26/21 8:11 p.m.

Mercedes tends to use practice for testing, not just bolting on softs and going wooooo!

It's hard to have Hamilton as a teammate. It would also be hard to have Max as a teammate. There are no excuses. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
3/26/21 8:45 p.m.

Teams are likely still testing different tire setups and fuel loads, tomorrow's qually will likely  tell the tale, can't wait.  Checko has to deal with a new team, new personnel and a different car, it will likely take a bit to get fully comfortable, I think he'll do fine once he's settled in.  Zak Brown is quoted as thinking Mercedes next year may be Max and George Russell, I don't see Red Bull turning loose of Max, but that would certainly be interesting.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Lewis call it a career and go on to other interests if he wins number 8 this year.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/26/21 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Jim Pettengill :

I'll remind you that Russell had to deal with a new team, new personnel and a different car and without the benefit of pre-season testing, almost beat Bottas to pole. Yes, Bottas is no Max Verstappen but still, Checo should have been closer to Max than he was. Time will tell and I will be very interested in how he measures up

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
3/26/21 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Jim Pettengill :

From my own gathering/belief it seems like Hamilton, albeit a GOAT, is getting bored. I'd like to be a badass like that, but after awhile I'd imagine I'd get bored and want either more of a challenge; or start a new chapter of my life. 

3/27/21 8:38 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Mercedes tends to use practice for testing, not just bolting on softs and going wooooo!

It's hard to have Hamilton as a teammate. It would also be hard to have Max as a teammate. There are no excuses. 

WRT Hamilton's teammate, having seen the struggles pretty much through FP3, I'm wondering if there's something broken that they can't find on Bottas' car.  It's almost as if he's driving a totally different car than Lewis- even taking into account the talent gap.  Between the braking issues and the stability- something is up.

For sure, Red Bull looks stronger right now.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/27/21 8:44 a.m.

I am starting to question my predictions for Quali

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 99

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VzTcbXT7pxZQp3gbzyPsLpHdPYn5AwjSShTQeLgU8DCwqiERmA9npFpN4nzSAhSl