1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 99
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/24/21 6:36 p.m.
loosecannon said:
Tom1200 said:

In reply to alfadriver :

I am an unashamed Hamilton fan but it appears he is going to have to dig even deeper.

I don't think there was anything deeper to dig for, Lewis drove flawlessly but the Red Bull was just so much better

I just don't see Mercedes as really solving the loss of the floor space.  And I'm still pretty surprised that the low rake cars had it harder- I thought that the sealing issues with the high rake cars would have given them fits without holes.  Oh, well.

And to add to that, Mercedes does have engine issues.  Which they need to shore up by the end of the year for the next gen cars.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
10/24/21 6:40 p.m.
loosecannon said:
Tom1200 said:

In reply to alfadriver :

I am an unashamed Hamilton fan but it appears he is going to have to dig even deeper.

I don't think there was anything deeper to dig for, Lewis drove flawlessly but the Red Bull was just so much better

As was their driver

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/24/21 6:51 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

That’s funny.

Oh, you were serious.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
10/24/21 8:08 p.m.
racerfink said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

That’s funny.

Oh, you were serious.

how observant....very much so..........

AaronT
AaronT Reader
10/24/21 8:13 p.m.
racerfink said:

Max has the most dominant car, BY FAR, this season, and he’s barely hanging on.

Baku: the Pirelli lets go well inside the usable window. Max loses 10 points. 

Silverstone: Max and Lewis touch. Max loses 25 points.

Hungary: Bottas goes bowling in t1. Max loses 18 points. 

Now maybe you count the Silverstone a racing incident. But the fact is that the season is artificially close, unless you think Max should have done something different in Baku or Hungary.

BrewCity20
BrewCity20 New Reader
10/24/21 10:17 p.m.

In reply to AaronT :

It's funny you bring these up. I was thinking about it today. Has Lewis beat Max straight-up since Spain? I suppose you could argue Lewis would have likely crushed Max in Turkey given how strong Bottas looked had he not taken the engine penalty - but aside from that instance - every race since Spain has either been - Max wins or Max doesn't win due to some outside influence.

Lewis hasn't really been able to beat Max for some time. Only BS crash-outs have kept it close.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/25/21 7:21 a.m.

Max should be just getting ready to clinch, except for bad luck and poor choices.  He's just lucky Lewis screwed up on the restart when Max lost the tire in ?Baku?.  

His reaction to Lewis getting even with him into 1 yesterday suggests he is learning.  We shall see whether that's true as the season winds down.

AaronT
AaronT Reader
10/25/21 8:11 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Max should be just getting ready to clinch, except for bad luck and poor choices.  He's just lucky Lewis screwed up on the restart when Max lost the tire in ?Baku?.  

His reaction to Lewis getting even with him into 1 yesterday suggests he is learning.  We shall see whether that's true as the season winds down.

Which poor choices has Max made?

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/25/21 8:19 a.m.

Did Hamilton just out flog him on the start or did Redbull have a issue? I thought it was a good race, Max showed maturity Ham was gaining on him and he didn't make a mistake and they didn't touch. I believe that Mexico is advantage RedBull, but the rest of the tracks will be interesting.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/25/21 9:04 a.m.

In reply to AaronT :

Driving into Hamilton?  Seemed like very poor choices the two times he did it.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/21 10:36 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

Did Hamilton just out flog him on the start or did Redbull have a issue? I thought it was a good race, Max showed maturity Ham was gaining on him and he didn't make a mistake and they didn't touch. I believe that Mexico is advantage RedBull, but the rest of the tracks will be interesting.

On the broadcast, Christian Horner said that Verstappen got an average start and Hamilton got a very good start.

AaronT
AaronT Reader
10/25/21 12:39 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Lol, are you implying Hamilton was perfectly innocent in both of those crashes? I've got bridges for sale and I'm also a Nigerian prince in need of your help if you are.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/25/21 1:18 p.m.
AaronT said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Which poor choices has Max made?

Silverstone, where he saw that Lewis wasnt going to back off, and turned right, was #1, and Italy when he parked on top of Lewis, after seeing that Lewis wasn't going to back off would have been pretty bad decisions.

There has been discussion ad naseum about who's fault those were, but there is no doubt that Max could have backed off in both cases and lived to fight another lap.  And, yesterday, it would seem that he has learned something, because coming out of turn one at COTA, he was in second (well, third) instead of sitting in a smouldering heap.

Max is fine.  He's going to win the year.  He could have been thinking of clinching already, except...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/25/21 2:13 p.m.
AaronT said:

In reply to alfadriver :

Lol, are you implying Hamilton was perfectly innocent in both of those crashes? I've got bridges for sale and I'm also a Nigerian prince in need of your help if you are.

That's not the question asked- in both cases, Max had the choice to turn in or not, and in both cases, he did.  One case he lost the race to Hamilton, the other both crashed out.  So one choice cost a lot of points.

Either way, he did have the option to not turn in.  Both were mistakes when looking at the entire season.

IMHO, yes, I put more onto Max than Lewis- when Max turned in at Silverstone, Lewis was wheel to wheel with him, and deserved to have the inside line.  I'm sure you think otherwise, which will make the Netflix watching even more popular.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/29/21 12:42 p.m.

Andretti's Sauber F1 deal called off  So when the rumors first started one of the Gurney facebook groups posted that Gurney was interested in purchasing a F1 team in 2003. I thought Andretti had no chance but was hoping I was wrong. I really wanted to see Herta race in F1. I know that he wouldn't be winning races but, out of all of the American hopefuls the past 20 years Herta seems to be the real deal.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/29/21 1:36 p.m.

It's a real shame that you guys can't produce F1 level drivers like us Canadians can devil

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/29/21 1:45 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Your billionaire kids go to F1, the US goes to NASCAR.  US drivers that go to F1 are merely millionaires, so don't get the attention.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
10/30/21 7:49 p.m.

I think any open wheel drivers from the USA seem to have an automatic bias pushed against them as if it will be a given that they struggle. Like racing has to be "Euro-splained" to them. 

Then I think there is the factor that not as many folks from the USA try as hard as the Japanese and Bazilians to get to F1. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/30/21 8:02 p.m.

I think, with American kids, there are so many good options.  Several layers of Nascar, Indycar, World Of Outlaws, and a few other professional series.  Not so many ways to make a living racing in Canada or Brazil.

Plus, Americans don't really accept that some foreign series is actually better than a home grown one, because 'Merica.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
10/30/21 10:33 p.m.

I am looking forward to the remainder  of this season. 

I am curious if MB or RBR will have snuck in some upgrade design before the summer break just for this endgame. Then constructed the parts once they realized how close it will be. 

I still think it is likely that Max or Lewis will make a mistake and thus fall too far behind. I think it will more likely be Max tripping over a backmarker like he did with Ocon in Brazil a few years ago. But Lewis is having to push more closely to his traction circle with a car just a bit less capable than the RBR so I won't rule out him just getting it wrong one corner...and that is it. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/30/21 10:38 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

If Max doesn't win it all, there will be a tremendous number of shows exploring why, for good reason.  

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
11/5/21 6:48 p.m.

Well those were interesting sessions as I am not sure who has the edge for Sunday. 

I think RBR have figured out their max downforce setup issues. So they will likely take the weekend rather easily. 

We will see if MB have anything for them. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/5/21 7:15 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

Seeing the MB's, at least Lewis- there's a set up issue, as he got oversteer in quite a few corners.  But even with that, he's really quick. Tomorrow will be interesting.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
11/6/21 9:42 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Yes that on board with Jenson Button commentary was very interesting. All those moments of oversteer at the apex just highlighted something is off with the balance. He can't hold a line through the corners. 

If they get that sorted they may get closer to RBR but then maybe the fix of that repeatable oversteer would meet the car understeer horribly in other corners.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
11/6/21 9:46 a.m.

Hamilton has won a championship in the last corner of the last race so I know he won't give up and neither will the team. 

RBR has had similar wins right at the end of the season but Max has not. I THINK Max has learned through all the years being desperate to win a single race in prior seasons to prioritize weekend success over season long championship. Which oddly enough seems to be helping him stay balance in this season long fight. 

1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 99

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mypwz1pJGKUx9HqnO7b5zFw6nTJ20jrKVTrL8HDx1i7QWNhyynrl97O4QHWD0IC1