1 2 3 ... 93
loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
12/11/21 4:42 p.m.

Who is excited for the 2022 Season? Drivers moving teams, new drivers,all new cars, 18" wheels, a new Champion defending his title? I am curious how the cars will look different from this year and from each other. Do you think they will be distinguishable from each other without the livery?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/21 5:34 p.m.

You couldn't wait until tomorrow laugh

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/11/21 6:14 p.m.

Hey, I'll jump in - you bet I'm interested.  I'll definitely be interested in watching Russell. However, the rules these days are restrictive enough that I think the cars will all look pretty much the same, thankfully with much less aero bits hanging off everywhere - much like the current IndyCar bodywork.  Racecar Engineering had an interesting article a couple of issues ago, IIRC.  I'll bet the big dollar teams remain at the top, although I would like nothing better than to see Lando and Danny Ric blow everybody off.  We'll know in three months.

Keith Tanner
12/11/21 6:16 p.m.

Agreed, I think both George and McLaren will be interesting to watch. Alpine is talking a big game, let's see if they have the trousers to match.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/11/21 6:23 p.m.

I'm curious. I'm excited about significant car changes. I'm excited about the possibility of the aero changes making for better racing.

And fortuitously, my wife has shown interest in watching some of the "Drive to Survive" series; it was the movie, "Faster" that introduced her to enough of the cast of characters that we've been watching MotoGP together ever since. The only other racing she's had even a passing interest in since then is WRC.

I tend not to get around to watching racing a lot of the time, but it's more of an "occasion" if she's interested, too. And similar to MotoGP, we might even be able to expand our group to some other not-exactly-motorsports people. We'll just have to see how the new cars affect the racing.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/11/21 6:30 p.m.

I am mostly curious whether Merc and Red Bull will be at the back of the pack next year,  Alfa and Haas at the front because of the relative attention each has given 2021.

Will George be the anointed one the Brits all hope for?

Will Seb continue to suck, and retire to his bee keeping?

Keith Tanner
12/11/21 6:48 p.m.

I think George did a pretty good job of proving himself the one race he did in the big car last year. He's sure got the speed, he just has to not make stupid mistakes. It's too bad Williams wasn't fast enough to give him much practice in passing in the mid-pack this year.

Seb's sucking much less at AM than he did at Ferrari. He's in a better head space.

I can't see Mercedes at the back of the pack. They're still the only current team that knows how to win championships - it's been way too long since RB has even if they have some of the same faces, and Mercedes has a pretty solid culture. RB is also going to be responsible for their own engine next year, will that be a distraction?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/11/21 6:50 p.m.

I'm interested to see what the cars will look like, too- but I kind of expect them to look pretty different for a while.  I also expect the cars to be slower than the current cars for a season at best.  

I'm *hoping* that Haas' chance pays off and they return to be a solid mid-pack team.  

But for the rest of the field- the only think I could come up with is that Merc *might* have a better car just due to the system they built over the previous gen.  Other than that, Renault's jumps at the end of the season makes me think they will be on a  great setting at the start.

One team will get it all right for a while.  Which team will be interesting.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/11/21 6:53 p.m.

I am excited about it. I hope there is less f a time gap through the grid. I was looking at projected times for this weekend and it's like there are 3 or 4 classes of race pace. It's hard for anyone outside of the first class to win a race. It will be fun if 5-6 teams can actually win on any given weekend. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/21 7:41 p.m.

Ferrari has been quietly competent. 

Keith Tanner
12/11/21 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

They've got the drivers to take advantage if they can deliver a good car.

12/11/21 7:47 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Same with McLaren. I would love to see red and orange at the front for awhile. And blue, too, with Alpine. All likeable drivers and teams.

Keith Tanner
12/11/21 7:57 p.m.

I'd be okay with less Alonso. I'm not as big a fan of him as he is of himself. But McLaren and Ferrari, sure :)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/11/21 8:37 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Seb's sucking much less at AM than he did at Ferrari. He's in a better head space.

Depends on your definition of sucking.  At Ferrari, he made stupid mistakes at the front of the pack.  Running out of the points, his sucking is far less noticeable.

12/11/21 9:10 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Keith Tanner said:

Depends on your definition of sucking.  At Ferrari, he made stupid mistakes at the front of the pack.  Running out of the points, his sucking is far less noticeable.

He's leading the new third championship trophy for most competitive passes in a season. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/11/21 9:29 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Keith Tanner said:

He's leading the new third championship trophy for most competitive passes in a season. 

Because his qualifying sucks so badly.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/12/21 12:33 a.m.

Relative to closer times, we may see the opposite - remember early in the current formula when we were all concerned about the 107% rule and whether some teams would be able to qualify?  This year the slowest drivers are pretty consistently around 103%.  New cars bring new opportunities to move up the pecking order, but they also bring the opportunity to suck.  As Kimi says, wewillsee.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/12/21 7:57 a.m.

I'm just hoping whatever the teams come up with looks better than the concept car, and that it leads to quality racing. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/12/21 8:13 a.m.

In reply to adam525i :

The rounded rear wings will stay- as will the front wheel things, but the rest of the car has multiple options.  

adam525i
12/12/21 6:46 p.m.

Alright, 2021 is hopefully behind us now so the next time we see cars on track will be February 23-25 in Barcelona followed by Bahrain March 11-13 a week ahead of the first race. Car launches will actually be interesting this year, looking forward to it.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
12/12/21 7:13 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Rear wings without drs? 

Searching seems to suggest...maybe so??

adam525i
12/12/21 7:25 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

Looks like they will have DRS for 2022 and then see from there if it is necessary.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/12/21 7:32 p.m.

Yea, last I heard, there will be DRS.  But the long term plan is to eliminate it- and they will certainly manipulate the number and length of the zones quite quickly.

I certainly hope they can do it.  

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/21 7:33 p.m.
adam525i said:

Looks like they will have DRS for 2022 and then see from there if it is necessary.

They'd be foolish to take the system off the cars until they know it isn't necessary.  They can always just not enable it.

adam525i
12/12/21 7:39 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
adam525i said:

They'd be foolish to take the system off the cars until they know it isn't necessary.  They can always just not enable it.

Yeah, hopefully the cars prove they don't need it and the DRS zones get shorter and shorter until they are gone.

1 2 3 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oYddIbx1vbuDTkJVydUispxUeJwrBjJirjjvUSPFGZU8TNwFPtSnuQSWohT1BM3G