alfadriver MegaDork
5/10/23 9:29 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

They did with seb. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/11/23 10:16 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

RB has many drivers in F2 and F3 grid however they need someone in AT, that is the talent level of Ric and Checo, but younger. Thus far not many are close to that talent, maybe Liam Lawson, however they have passed on him a couple times. I like Gasley but he just isn't consistent enough and they let him walk.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
5/11/23 10:29 a.m.

Yeah, they seem to take Seb and Max as the benchmark so if you don't measure up to them in a season or two at most, out you go.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
5/12/23 7:32 a.m.
wae
wae PowerDork
5/12/23 9:38 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Well, I think they heard what Russell said and are doing the exact opposite:

ttps://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirelli-proposes-new-tyre-construction-from-f1-british-gp/10468329/

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/12/23 10:06 a.m.

I think they are hoping to prevent a repeat of what happened to Hamilton at Silverstone in 2020 and Verstappen at Baku in 2021.  Hamilton was lucky he had a big enough lead to hold on for the win.  Verstappen was lucky the walls weren't any harder..

IIRC back in Baku the "official" explanation was that the teams were running the tires at too low of a pressure (Stroll had a rear tire failure too).   My WAG is the increased weight and ground effect downforce is generating some concerning tire life data and Pirelli want's to get in front of the issue.  

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
5/12/23 10:59 a.m.

Want to make the racing better??................ban Adrian Newey. LOL

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/12/23 10:59 a.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

That's how I read it, too. Right now speed = downforce, which suggests Pirrelli also misjudged the advancement of the cars, too. Again. 

George should be mad at the teams, not the FIA. 

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
5/12/23 5:04 p.m.

If by "we have taken the wrong path" he means "everyone but RB have done a crap job building to the regs" then he's on point.

JimS
JimS Reader
5/12/23 5:24 p.m.

Would Russell be complaining if Mercedes was still dominant like I'm sure he expected? How many years did we put up with Mercedes domination?

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
5/17/23 8:02 a.m.

Imola is cancelled due to flooding. Have to figure out what to do with the last few days of our vacation in Italy..

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/17/23 8:04 a.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

Imola is cancelled due to flooding. Have to figure out what to do with the last few days of our vacation in Italy..

Wow. That's a first. I guess it beats attempting to race and ending up with a fiasco like Spa a couple of years ago.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
5/17/23 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

This would have been much worse. They haven't been able to set up anything. Some teams had to find new accommodations because their hotels flooded. The pit lane and garages did not flood but as I understand it they still couldn't access the area.  2 locals died in the flooding and the local authorities asked the race promoter to stand down so emergency services wouldn't be overwhelmed. So I don't think there was much of a choice. Now have to deal with getting tickets refunded..

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/23 8:18 a.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

You're only an 11.5 hour drive away from the Nurburgring! Sorry this fell through on you, an F1 race in Italy would be a lot of fun.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/17/23 8:27 a.m.

Yeah that looks pretty bad.

CDN media

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/17/23 11:45 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

FIA should have released this picture with the presser. That looks terrible. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/23 12:36 p.m.

I can hear the whining: "There's too much spray", "It's dangerous", "The waders are chaffing my ballsack". F1 drivers these days. Back in the old days...

All said in jest. That picture says it all. Best wishes to the locals. F1 can take a break this weekend.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
5/17/23 1:58 p.m.

As a NASCAR fan who also follows F1, it always surprises me how able and willing the FIA is to outright cancel F1 races. I'm 35 years old and I can't ever remember NASCAR canceling a Cup series race. In 2020 they paused the season and changed some locations but got all 36 points races plus their exhibition races in. They even got all the races in for their 2nd and 3rd tier series. In 2001 they postponed the first race after Sept 11th but made it up at the end of the season. I know that in NASCAR the TV deal really drives the financial side of the sport. Maybe the economics of F1 are different enough that they can more easily reduce the number of events in a season?

I'm aware of 1 NASCAR Xfinity (then called Grand National) series race that was canceled in 1986 because the race promoter (allegedly) damaged the track so the race couldn't happen because he couldn't pay the purse. I haven't researched this so I'm sure there are other instances from way back but I'm pretty confident it's never happened to the top series (Cup) in modern times. 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
5/17/23 2:20 p.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

They do have to move the show cross countries and continents as opposed to just the US.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
5/17/23 6:58 p.m.

Too bad they couldn't have cancelled Monaco(permantly) :)

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/23 7:40 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

I absolutely love f1 and look forward to every race.  I even watch old races and youtube commentary.

I absolutely despise the Monaco GP.  I DO like quali.  But the race is worthless.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
5/17/23 7:48 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
kevlarcorolla said:

I absolutely love f1 and look forward to every race.  I even watch old races and youtube commentary.

I absolutely despise the Monaco GP.  I DO like quali.  But the race is worthless.

I agree with all of this. Monaco race sucks. You can be down 165 hp and still hold everybody up and win, it's not right

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/23 8:07 p.m.

This race wasn't canceled because the F1 decided they didn't want to race, it was canceled because there's a legit crisis going on in the area and bringing in the circus was going to be counterproductive. Good call on the part of the FIA. It was the adult thing to do. They have done make-up races in the past IIRC, but the calendar is actually overstuffed these days so dropping a race probably makes everyone breathe better anyhow :)

I agree that Monaco is a waste of everyone's time.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/23 9:02 p.m.
CrashDummy said:

Maybe the economics of F1 are different enough that they can more easily reduce the number of events in a season?

I think it's just that it's a lot harder to reschedule F1 events.  Something like 80% of NASCAR races are all within 1 or 2 days of truck driving range of the team bases in North Carolina, whereas these days most F1 races involve loading stuff onto a plane.

While I certainly understand and agree with the reasons for cancelling it, I'm disappointed.  I was looking forward to a race at an actual race track instead of stupid street circuits.  Monaco was tolerable when it was the only street circuit on the calendar, but we're overflowing with them now.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
5/17/23 11:18 p.m.

I actually like Monaco.......mostly becuase I watch the vintage races the week before.

On rare occasions it produces some epic passes.

Most times it's a parade.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 57

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3lEwOP7l2D3WhrAxIsyXHMk6Txifvxpzb51RSmMMhl3eiECLuPcTy2pOnQBWwLQY