1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 42
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/18 2:08 p.m.

I’d never thought about that, but you’re right. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/23/18 10:00 a.m.

So the whole Force India issue still has not been fully settled- it's possible that they may have to miss this weekend, as over the last three weeks, the Stroll Consortium owns all of the hardware and runs the team, but does NOT own the company Force India- which is the F1 entrant.  If they get a new entry this weekend that is not FI, then they lose prize money.  

Interesting that this could not be resolved over the last 3 weeks. 

Keith Tanner
8/23/18 10:34 a.m.

That's the sort of stupid stuff that makes it so difficult to run in F1. Force India (the entrant) should be able to simply designate Stroll as the group that runs their car, at least for this weekend. The fact that the team is not the entrant makes my brain hurt.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/23/18 11:25 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

From what I read, it has to do with some of the banks in India that are tied up in FI.  It's mystifying that the FIA can't give a full team waiver for this weekend- makes no sense at all.  They were fully part of the receivership court case, so they fully know what is going on.  

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/18 12:20 p.m.

It's official: Force India is now Racing Point Force India, an entirely new entry. They get to keep the prize money from FI's 4th place last year, but had to give up the 59 points scored this year, which is a super tough break.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/24/18 1:22 p.m.
Javelin said:

It's official: Force India is now Racing Point Force India, an entirely new entry. They get to keep the prize money from FI's 4th place last year, but had to give up the 59 points scored this year, which is a super tough break.

And the finances seems to have found some focus on the team- Perez were the best of the rest for FP2.  So maybe they make up those points over the rest of the season.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
8/24/18 5:20 p.m.

Will that loss of points for next year really cut into their travel money, or is that the prize money they get to keep?

Or do I not remember the byzantine pay structure of F1 properly?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
8/24/18 6:19 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Will that loss of points for next year really cut into their travel money, or is that the prize money they get to keep?

Or do I not remember the byzantine pay structure of F1 properly?

I think it just affects the amount of prize money they could potentially earn this year, but assume that would have a direct affect on their budget. 

-Rob

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/25/18 8:39 a.m.

With the official ownership change, when was the last time two North American based teams competed in F1 at the same time?  The only thing that comes to mind is when Penske and Val's Parnelli Jones in the 70s, which also had Shadow in '74.

Edit, and the two NA teams made it to Q3.  So they are the best of the rest now.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/25/18 9:14 a.m.

Hey ferrari..... team orders suckno

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
8/25/18 11:07 a.m.

Musta rained in Q3, eh?  Interesting lap times, with a super screwy starting lineup.

I hope my DVR recorded quali.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/25/18 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Mine did. Just finished watching it. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/25/18 2:06 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Musta rained in Q3, eh?  Interesting lap times, with a super screwy starting lineup.

I hope my DVR recorded quali.

One thing that was an interesting gamble- all the cars came in except for Force India- they attempted to see if parts of the track were dry enough to put in a really fast lap.  Didn't work, but I sure appreciate the try.

At the end, the track was drying out, but it was interesting to me that Hamilton was not the last driver, but he found 3 seconds on Vettel and Ocon.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/25/18 2:23 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Vettel was about 0.7 sec back. Comparing Hamilton's time on a drying track to Vettel's time in the rain is silly.  Hamilton is a force to be reckoned with. I wish Kimi had been out there in the end to see what he could've done. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/25/18 2:31 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Ah, it flashed up as 3 seconds, so that stuck in my head.  But it is interesting that Vettel was after Hamilton, so the track was in slightly better condition.  So the comparison isn't that silly- given the conditions, Vettel had the advantage.  

To me, Kimi is odd- it was sprinkling at the end of Q2, so the odds of it raining during Q3 were very much non zero.  So why wasn't his car fueled for more laps???  Just as odd, Ferrari was completely caught out with the rain- they were not at all prepared for rain tires.  They've been making so many good decisions all season, that it's odd that they kind of gave it away.

Keith Tanner
8/25/18 3:10 p.m.

I’m loving the revitalized pink cars. What a great quali result after a crazy summer break. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/25/18 3:48 p.m.
T.J. said:

In reply to alfadriver :

Vettel was about 0.7 sec back. Comparing Hamilton's time on a drying track to Vettel's time in the rain is silly.  Hamilton is a force to be reckoned with. I wish Kimi had been out there in the end to see what he could've done. 

This sentence right here...........regardless of his 'age' he is no slouch.....and yes I'm a big HONK of the 'ICEMAN'

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/18 3:04 a.m.

After Vandoorne's debacle today word is McLaren is done with him. Next race will see Ocon to McLaren, Stroll to Racing Point Force India, and Kubica at Williams. This would be muoy bueno!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/26/18 5:35 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

He was a stud in other series, but not F1. He's had a crappy car, but just hasn't showed much promise. I wonder if any other team may be willing to give him another shot. Not likely, but who knows. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/26/18 5:36 a.m.

Looking forward to watching the race today. 

wae
wae SuperDork
8/26/18 6:57 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Ever since they overnighted him from Japan, threw him into the car with no experience sans reading the book on the plane, and he wound up out-qualifying Button and then scoring a point, I have been waiting to see that brilliance re-emerge.  I really want that kid to do well and I don't know if it's the car or if that first outing was just a weird fluke.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/26/18 3:20 p.m.
T.J. said:

Looking forward to watching the race today. 

So the "highlights" were a few crashes at the start of the race, Vettel passing Hamilton before the SC is deployed, and then Boatas climbing through the field.  Other than that, not much happened.  

Heck of a job for Force India, as their result got 18 of the lost points- passing Williams and almost even to Sauber.  I'd bet they can pass Toro Rosso, and perhaps even McLaren by the season's end.  Good for them.

Haas keeps plugging along- almost as fast as FI, but not quite.  

What a great track, though.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/26/18 7:54 p.m.

"What a great track, though."

that about sums it up.................

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
8/26/18 9:12 p.m.

I still hate the look of the halo, but I'll agree that it probably saved LeClerc from serious injury or worse, so I now accept it.

Keith Tanner
8/26/18 10:11 p.m.

Yes, that crash probably silenced a few doubters. 

Best comment of the race was Horner. "When I heard Lewis complaining about the speed of the Ferrari, I had to go get my violin" :)

Great weekend for Force India. Really happy to see that, especially the behavior on the first lap. Wasn't all that long ago they'd take each other out race after race. Seeing them go from zero to ahead of Williams in one weekend must have felt fantastic. 

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N8K9PUAZCxOgkZYuGfWhTlDH9IKtmMmPjlvnmTJEto0GKj5b5gVS80PbTBL5A8N8