1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 42
ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
3/2/18 1:25 p.m.

BREAKING NEWS!!!! "Hamilton Fastest In Testing"      -  Now, there's a surprise.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
3/2/18 1:32 p.m.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/2/18 1:48 p.m.
ncjay said:

BREAKING NEWS!!!! "Hamilton Fastest In Testing"      -  Now, there's a surprise.

If that kid keeps at it, someday he's gonna be big.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/2/18 1:55 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
ncjay said:

If that kid keeps at it, someday he's gonna be big.

And on mediums not softs or super softs either.

McRenault are doing some good times as well.  Torro Rosso are the only team to be slower than last year now they have the Honda engine, but on the bright side they did more laps than anyone else.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/2/18 1:58 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

Wait so a country like Haiti is approved for coverage but Canada isn't?.

Yeah that makes sense.

I presume it has to do with whichever telecom giant (Rogers?) owns the rights.  They wouldn't allow a live stream to compete with TSN.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/18 2:06 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
ncjay said:

I love the Martini livery.  Unfortunately I heard a rumor the other day that Williams will be losing it soon.

When the team principal is quoted, I think it's a pretty solid rumour. Unfortunately.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/williams-f1-lose-long-time-title-sponsor-martini-seasons-end

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
3/2/18 2:31 p.m.

This has been bugging me for a while. The halo is a safety device, nothing else. So why on earth does the driver's helmet stick up above the side rails?

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
3/2/18 2:44 p.m.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
3/2/18 2:52 p.m.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/147667-williams-confirms-martini-deal-to-end-this-year

As far as Williams goes, it's not a rumour. It's confirmed.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
3/2/18 2:56 p.m.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/2/18 5:53 p.m.

The cars seem to get uglier each year.

At least Indy Car improved the looks.

Keith Tanner
3/2/18 6:02 p.m.
iceracer said:

The cars seem to get uglier each year.

At least Indy Car improved the looks.

Well, when you're starting with that goofy looking thing, it's not hard.

I have no problem with the looks. I love the front wings.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
3/2/18 6:29 p.m.
ncjay said:

This has been bugging me for a while. The halo is a safety device, nothing else. So why on earth does the driver's helmet stick up above the side rails?

In a rollover, the driver's protected from the huge bar behind his head.  The halo is designed to prevent things flying into the face of the driver.  Like when Massa got the spring hitting him in the helmet and what killed Justin Wilson in Indy.

-Rob

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
3/3/18 8:07 a.m.

Even with the halo, I think the 2018 cars are much more attractive than this monstrosity.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
3/3/18 9:14 a.m.

In reply to ncjay :

Nah.  I'll take that over the Halo cars for aesthetics every time. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/3/18 11:03 a.m.
ncjay said:

I presume that is a metric butt-load of pressure sensors, and he didn't just drive through a chicken wire fence.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
3/3/18 5:19 p.m.

yup, common testing setup...

They use it a lot for cross comparison of real world to wind tunnel to computational fluid dynamics (CFD; computer aero calcs).  

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
3/4/18 10:51 a.m.

Some of the testing apparatus gets pretty interesting.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
3/7/18 9:01 a.m.
ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
3/10/18 11:15 a.m.
Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
3/12/18 9:37 a.m.

After watching some footage of testing I can see the nervousness of the Mercedes crew. I think getting over Patty Lowe leaving and Ferrari getting closer has them on edge. They don't want to end the streak. Hamilton seems settled and ready to win another championship. Bottas must have equal wins to him by mid season to keep his seat. I think MB is looking now to After Hamilton years and need someone to develop.

Redbull may have the best season start since Vettel's dominant years. 

I am still hoping for a Honda power Toro Rosso win in Bahrain!!! That would be cool.

Keith Tanner
3/12/18 9:53 a.m.

There's only one team that knows how to win a championship with a hybrid F1 car. I think Mercedes concentrates on testing during testing instead of the certain amount one-upmanship performed by the other teams. They pounded out lap after lap on the harder tires, which is what has won them races in the past couple of years. No "hypersoft" qualifying laps, they already know how fast they can go if necessary. I want to see someone give them a challenge to watch them react, but I'd much rather it be Williams or McLaren than Red Bull or Ferrari. If it must be Red Bull, let it be Ricciardo wink

Hamilton has quite a bit of time left, I think. Mercedes uses Williams as their feeder team, so if you want to see who's being groomed for the Silver Arrows just peek over there.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
3/12/18 2:08 p.m.

I would like to see Williams get to second in constructors championship. 

Hamilton keeps sending signals that he is ready for his midlife crisis a little early. Not sure if he is just bluffing for better contracts. But I get a feeling like he is more like Rosberg than he would like to admit. A little tired of the grind. 

It would be cool if like Jordon that one year, Toro Rosso was the top MB competitor out of the blue. 

Keith Tanner
3/12/18 2:27 p.m.

It would drive Alonso round the bend if the Honda engine all of a sudden became a contender.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/18 2:31 p.m.

HAAS is very quiet, they might be in for a big improvement. Renault and McLaren look like they should be okay. Sauber/Alfa got better, too. Force India and Williams should be worried, I think they'll drop back hard. Toro Rosso is doomed. Ferrari made all the noise, but I'm putting my internet dollar on Red Bull to upset Mercedes. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EZIw5fORpkBQvwXDoWJMoeFW8gcbrtGGUnLKJ38PtPbjsVNypZSXZed2Tra3HWlv