1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 75
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/20 12:51 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

No, not really. Had RP actually purchased and ran the MB rear ducts at any point in the 19 season, then it would have been a non-issue like the fronts as the team cannot be expected to "forget" what they knew from the previous season. The actual date they purchased/received the drawings is irrelevant and the penalty would have been the same even if it was Dec 31 or even Nov 30 because they were not used on the 19 RP at any point.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
8/7/20 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Dave M (Forum Supporter) :

Actually not as easy as it sounds. There would be a debate of the relative pressure, evaporation, vapor loss, and hose/pipe deformation and harmonics.

For example I had a system that was to dispense x amount of low viscosity fluid onto a surface. The volume rate of change created by the components were acceptable and individually tested within target. However, in measuring the whole system, we could  not repeat the results given all the system settings being held constant. Simply adding the resistance of the test sensor or vapor saturation if dispensing into a canister added variation. We reached a point where the measurement system costs to achieve our goal were estimated into the hundreds of thousands. And we wouldn't know if it would work until we built it. 

So unless you run a 2019 engine in full over many cycles to build up reliable data you wouldn't be able to properly judge between within or outside the rules. Eventually your use of a 2019 spec engine would add variation as the engine itself would degrade. 

Once I heard the theories of why the Ferrari engine was out of the rules. I immediately thought of how hard it would be to confirm that. Not have a good idea but CONFIRM. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
8/7/20 1:50 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

No, not really. Had RP actually purchased and ran the MB rear ducts at any point in the 19 season, then it would have been a non-issue like the fronts as the team cannot be expected to "forget" what they knew from the previous season. The actual date they purchased/received the drawings is irrelevant and the penalty would have been the same even if it was Dec 31 or even Nov 30 because they were not used on the 19 RP at any point.

This is why it is seemed to breach the sporting regulations. The spirit of the rule was that the ducts could be shared in 2019. There was no expiration date of the "2019 listed parts rule" so RP felt they were ok to use it as long as they presented it before the 2020 season started. 

However the stewards rules it was unsportsmanlike twisting of the idea of listed parts. If Williams tried the same today then the Stewards can exclude them from the results because it is now clarified by this ruling, and Williams would be blatantly defying that clarified rule. 

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/7/20 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

Interesting, thanks.  I guess they would have to sieze the computer code and figure out what it says....in Italian!

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
8/7/20 2:15 p.m.
Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Advan046 :

Interesting, thanks.  I guess they would have to sieze the computer code and figure out what it says....in Italian!

Yes I thought of that but assumed Ferrari made sure the actual engine computers had good code, but hid the fuel flow trick somewhere else, if it was even a programing cheat. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/7/20 6:43 p.m.

Good video on why the Racing Point brake ducts are illegal Click for video

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/7/20 7:07 p.m.
loosecannon said:

Good video on why the Racing Point brake ducts are illegal Click for video

Very interesting, and clarifies why the FIA took that path.  And one conclusion is that you can photocopy another car. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/7/20 10:16 p.m.

Again, Formula 1 needs a re-think of their show. MotoGP has much, much, much better racing and not just because the bikes are quicker when following another rider. Satellite teams run last years bikes of the factory teams so they are much closer in performance and Satellite teams are allowed more motors for the season and a few other concessions. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/20 9:34 a.m.

Nico! Excellent. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/8/20 9:54 a.m.

Hulkenburg p3!  He'll yes!

I would not have been able to come up with that top 10 in that order!

Gasly did very well.  So did Danny avocado!

Vettel knocked out in q2 even running the softs!  Wowzers!

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
8/8/20 10:10 a.m.

With Nico's performance, does this spell the end for Perez?      OHY Nico H!!!!!

wvumtnbkr
8/8/20 10:25 a.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

With Nico's performance, does this spell the end for Perez?      OHY Nico H!!!!!

Perez is under contract and brings a good bit of money to the team.  Lance is NOT under contract, but.....

8/8/20 10:55 a.m.

Based on previous races, I was going to say something nice about Stroll, but apparently his improvement is more about the car.  Hulk- dude- way to go!

But the other Canadian bringing a lot of money to his team does seem like he's improving- Latifi is not last on the grid.  

Kind of surprised that the Red Bull didn't get third, though.  It's interesting how different a week is- little different heat, little more wind, different tire choices, and times changed quite a bit.

wvumtnbkr
8/8/20 1:29 p.m.

Talking about tires...  I don't think the reds are viable.  At all.  Even for the last 5 or 6 laps.  

The mediums look like they will last a few laps at best.

I'm thinking 2 stops.  Medium, hard, hard depending on traffic and if anybody wants to gamble.

8/8/20 1:42 p.m.

Hulk!!! P3!!

I hope he ends up with a contract and ASAP.

johndej
johndej Dork
8/8/20 1:49 p.m.

Yeah would be crazy to see him get a podium tomorrow!

wvumtnbkr
8/8/20 1:52 p.m.

Hulk!!! P3!!

I hope he ends up with a contract and ASAP.

I'll bite...   with who?

Vettel is available.  Last year's f2 winner is available.  All the doods in formula e are available...  this year's formula 2 champ will be available...  if it's Schwartzman, he should get a ride.  He won the f3 championship last year and is leading f2 in his first season.

Why take hulk?

P.s. I am a yuge hulk fan!

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
8/8/20 1:56 p.m.

!!!!!Hulkenburg!!!!!

AaronT
AaronT New Reader
8/8/20 1:59 p.m.

Nico Hülk-in-third! 

What a wild ride for this dude, I hope his dream weekend extends to tomorrow. As for a ride next year? RP seems unlikely given the money Lance and Sergio bring to the team, but RBR? Albon isn't lighting the world on fire. He's not awful, but not doing much to help Max get 2nd in the constructors'.

8/8/20 2:40 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Why does Latifi have a ride? Grosjean? Magnusson? Stroll? Hell, Kimi and Vettel. I'd even throw out Kyvat and the other AT driver. WTF is Albon doing?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/8/20 2:41 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Talking about tires...  I don't think the reds are viable.  At all.  Even for the last 5 or 6 laps.  

The mediums look like they will last a few laps at best.

I'm thinking 2 stops.  Medium, hard, hard depending on traffic and if anybody wants to gamble.

I agree, although some backmarker will try hard medium, and improve from 18th to 16th.

I see potential for three stops.  It might depend on how many hards you have left on the shelf.  If a guy can run hard hard hard for 15 laps each, and finish on mediums?  If you are ok with fuel flow limits, go hard and regain the 18 or so seconds for the pit stop.  Probably a bad plan...

8/8/20 2:43 p.m.

In reply to AaronT :

Two things about Albon- I don't see anyone who would replace him- the two that could have already tried and failed at the big team.  Second, and more important- the Red Bull may be fast, but it seems incredibly sensitive.  Even Max has his issues.

And all that means to me is- why did the entire field copy their high rake design?  All of the teams made power excuses for them for many years now, not recognizing that the Mercedes has a great chassis under it to go with the engine....  But that's a different rant.

I see no reason to replace Albon- in fact, I would lean on him to really find the weaknesses of the chassis, since Max can drive around them.

8/8/20 2:45 p.m.

The nice thing about the 3 stop try would be that they would have to be at max all the time to make that work.  No tire preservation at all.

Honestly the only team I see that could pull that off is Mercedes, as by lap 20, they would have 20 seconds on the field.

wvumtnbkr
8/8/20 4:44 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Why does Latifi have a ride? Grosjean? Magnusson? Stroll? Hell, Kimi and Vettel. I'd even throw out Kyvat and the other AT driver. WTF is Albon doing?

Vettel doesn't have a ride....

Kimi, and latifi have contracts.  Specifically Latino brings a TON of money to the team.  Same with kyvat.

Grosjean, Magnusson,  no idea.  But, haas is staying with them.  

Albon is stuck in a twitchy car and is still fighting for podiums when possible.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/8/20 5:35 p.m.

Nico has had a lot of bad luck in F1, last week he had a bolt that had him out. It would be nice to see him get a poduim, but I am not going on fandule and remortgaging the house. For the 2021 silly season nico addition other then Haas and maybe Racing point? I don't see any other opitions for him. I have heard some less then savory things spoken about Nico on the MP podcast, suprised to hear he is in the frame for a seat.

I thought it was interesting that Vettel said that he has opitions outside of F1, I am sure that sportscars want him, but can't imagine anyone else. I still think it's F1 or retire, just don't know if he is holding out on Albon making enough mistakes to open the door for him, a long shot, but Red Bull has proven to shut the door and close it and open it again.

1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 75

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
amEIvp77D7ZszyP1X7TNuw6RMMIdCqKliyei6xATjasNox7L1iiSVzzgVvr8Fwud