1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 75
trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/12/20 2:41 p.m.

In reply to adam525i (Forum Supporter) :

I don't think it's a debate that Perez is the better of the 3 drivers of Hulk and Lance, (Lance probably should have spent time in Gp3 and Gp2 rather then being promoted early). Statistically speaking Stroll and Perez have a better resume when it comes to podiums. I think Perez would have had the better results in Silverstone then Hulk because Perez is amazing when it comes to changing weather conditions and extending tire life. I could see Perez doing a one stopper like Leclerc. I like Hulk, I read that he is in talks with Alfa Romeo, if he took a"dive" to let Stroll by to be a back marker next year (unless Ferrari can put together a cheater engine), that would be ridiculous. Hulk's best days are past him in F1, he would be best in DTM, indycar, or sportscars. If the conspiracy is to showcase Stroll to be a better driver, then why would they be in talks with a 4 time champ like Vettel? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/20 3:00 p.m.

Vettel better hope they find problems with his car. That radio message they broadcast of him scolding the team after he spun himself at the beginning of the race, plus his complete inability to perform, has got to be making anyone second-guess hiring him.

I wonder how much Sainz is regretting his scarlet fever. McLaren is looking stronger and stronger while even Ferrari has publicly given up on their 2021 car already. He must be really praying for that 2022 car to be a monster.

Meanwhile, Lando and Danny at McLaren? That's going to be fun.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/12/20 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Other than Racing Point are there truly any other suitors for Vettel? I don't think they are turned off, because they are a midpack team that can land a 4 time champ. 

Ferrari is going to eventually recover, Leclerc is a good driver and will get the best out of the car as is Sainz, but there is no way that Mclaren will be permitted to beat Lewis and Bottas, once they get a Mercedes. Toto would never permit and he is as powerful as they come in the F1 paddock.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/12/20 3:46 p.m.

Ferrari said they found a flaw with sebs chassis, but also said it wouldn't change the performance of the car that much...

I disagree that hulks best is behind him.  I think he showed that he can run near the front after being in a totally new to him car after a couple practice sessions.  That is phenomenal.

Just having the intelligence to understand the new car and get more out of it than his established team mate says he is still a damn good driver!

Also, to the McLaren point about beating mercedes....  Mercedes let Williams set pole at a few races and I "think" they even beat them in a few races.

That being said, McLaren isn't fighting Mercedes and probably won't be for the foreseeable future.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
8/12/20 5:25 p.m.

"I disagree that hulks best is behind him.  I think he showed that he can run near the front after being in a totally new to him car after a couple practice sessions.  That is phenomenal."

my sentiments exactly .......

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/12/20 6:11 p.m.

No way Sainz regrets going to Ferrari.  Ferrari is Ferrari, and even the many, many years they've sucked, they have always gotten great potential thanks to the allure of being Ferrari.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/12/20 6:25 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

"I disagree that hulks best is behind him.  I think he showed that he can run near the front after being in a totally new to him car after a couple practice sessions.  That is phenomenal."

my sentiments exactly .......

3rd

Keith Tanner
8/12/20 6:35 p.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

No way Sainz regrets going to Ferrari.  Ferrari is Ferrari, and even the many, many years they've sucked, they have always gotten great potential thanks to the allure of being Ferrari.

I guess it depends on whether you get your satisfaction from having millions of adoring fans because of the color of your driving suit versus winning races :) He doesn't really need the millions of adoring fans because he is racing royalty in Spain.

It's been a long time since McLaren was at the top, but they're going up right now whilst Ferrari is sinking like a rock. 

8/12/20 7:03 p.m.

On a relative basis, I'm sure Alonso was more popular at Ferrari than even Renault.  Having two forceful adoring countries fawn all over every move you make is not a bad thing, it seems.  You have the Tifosi and then the core fans.  Heck, even my wife ended up buying Ferrari stuff when we went to a race- and she can't stand Ferrari.

That, and I'm sure he was sold on the whole rebuilding thing that Binotto is selling.

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/12/20 7:24 p.m.

Don't forget the millions of Euros.  Ferrari can pay the way no other team but Mercedes can, and even Mercedes has not been paying Bottas crazy money. With the added profile of being a Ferrari driver you can rake in the promotion money too.  I bet you that pretty much any driver but Seb and Lewis would kill to be a Ferrari driver.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/12/20 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Dave M (Forum Supporter) :

I have not written off the idea of Lewis finishing his career in a red car.  He is pretty darn loyal to Merc, but Ferrari...  Come on, man.

Keith Tanner
8/12/20 7:32 p.m.

I guess I'd be too interested in the racing, I'd want the car that looked to be the fastest instead of the reddest. Sure, Ferrari's rebuilding...but they're always rebuilding. Millions of euros may influence my decision, however.

"Anyone but Seb would kill to be a Ferrari driver". LOL.

Keith Tanner
8/12/20 7:33 p.m.

Heck, even my wife ended up buying Ferrari stuff when we went to a race- and she can't stand Ferrari.

I still regret not buying a Caterham F1 hat for $20 when they were on sale at COTA. No idea why I didn't, probably general F1 sticker shock. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/12/20 8:01 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to Dave M (Forum Supporter) :

I have not written off the idea of Lewis finishing his career in a red car.  He is pretty darn loyal to Merc, but Ferrari...  Come on, man.

I really hope he doesn't it. He's been my favorite since his rookie year, well him and Webber.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
8/14/20 12:49 p.m.

I think Sainz has the chops to perform closer to LeClerc's level than Vettel appears to be. Ferrari HAS to be glad Seb is out.

8/14/20 2:58 p.m.

New regulation for the weekend- party modes are banned.

One quick analysis the talking heads did suggest that this will help Mercedes the most, as they have the most reliable engine- so w/o party mode damage, they can just turn up the nominal volume a little more than everyone else.

So that will be an interesting thing to keep an eye on tomorrow and Sunday.

BTW, not sure if anyone noted that Seb got a new tub this weekend.  I think he's hoping that there was a problem with the previous one, and this one will be more to his liking.

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/20 3:34 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver (Forum Supporter) :

That technical directive will not come into effect until the Belgian GP which is the next race so they can still twist those engine mode dials (in all of the cars, Mercedes just happens to go to 11) as they see fit until then. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.qualifying-engine-modes-what-are-the-proposed-changes-and-why-do-they-matter.OI3cSGqWS6mONcBHUFncL.html

8/14/20 3:50 p.m.

In reply to adam525i (Forum Supporter) :

Ah, they didn't mention that.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
8/14/20 4:19 p.m.

BTW, not sure if anyone noted that Seb got a new tub this weekend.  I think he's hoping that there was a problem with the previous one, and this one will be more to his liking.

If I recall correctly Ferrari said they did find a problem which was due to running over kerbs. I thought that was a rather thin excuse/reason.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/14/20 6:41 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:

If I recall correctly Ferrari said they did find a problem which was due to running over kerbs. I thought that was a rather thin excuse/reason.

Yeah, they said "we found an issue, but it won't effect performance."

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/14/20 9:34 p.m.

FP2 Sky had Nico Rosberg in the booth.  He has some interesting insights on tire management and Ferrari engine power.  If you can track it down, worth watching.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/14/20 9:43 p.m.

Seb's problem might be related to his mental state or his confidence, giving him a new chassis might be good for him, even if it is just a placebo affect. I hated him during the years he won everything, but started to come around after he appeared on Top Gear and I realized he's actually quite personable. Now I want him to beat LeClerc

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/15/20 7:22 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

"Want to see him beat Leclerc."

I fear that ship has sailed.

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/15/20 7:48 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Seb looks pretty done. He's shown time and again that when his confidence is down, he starts making mistakes. Add on top of that a team which actively wants him gone and you've got a recipe for poor performance.

Edit: quali P11.... Are we taking bets on when Seb quits this season or is fired mid season?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/15/20 10:58 a.m.

I am intrigued.  Have Merc solved their tire temp problems?  Are the times Max did in race trim accurate?  

Tomorrow will be fun.

1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 75

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ARHzznO3yRgI8alOw7UXgAeeqPYJhCdsWWFtirMnkM6Q7o8f5Jmd47woIlVf3cKw