1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 75
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/20 12:03 p.m.

Doesn't every single F1 driver do substantial simulator time?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/20 12:08 p.m.

Massive. It's how the cars are developed since they're allowed almost no actual seat time.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/20/20 3:27 p.m.

The simulators at the factories are way different from what the drivers will be using for esports. I don't think being good at one will translate into being good at the other. Max and some of the other younger guys already spend a ton of time eracing so they'll have a huge advantage. I doubt you'll find Kimi, Lewis or Seb in any of these races.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
3/20/20 3:50 p.m.

http://www.formulascout.com/ferrari-calls-up-juniors-shwartzman-and-beganovic-to-race/60821

Apparently, neither Vettel or LeClerc will drive for Ferrari in the virtual race.

-Rob

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
3/20/20 3:55 p.m.
loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/22/20 7:36 a.m.

So, the rules say that there needs to be 8 races to have a Championship, this may stop Lewis from getting his 7th WDC. Also, Max has said that he will not be participating in the esports race, no surprise there, he's not familiar with the game and doesn't want to be DFL

johndej
johndej HalfDork
3/22/20 3:37 p.m.

Not the Bahrain Grand Prix starting soon

https://youtu.be/DYsySLIMOGA

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
3/22/20 4:09 p.m.

Quarter race length and damage disabled? 

slightly better than nothing, I suppose.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
3/22/20 4:34 p.m.

I ended up watching the race on one screen with Jimmy Broadbent's and Lando Norris's live stream side by side on the other screen.  Lando's game crashed in qualifying and while he was waiting to join the race, he started calling people live on his stream and asking for advice since he was going to start from the back.  Verstappen told him to just take everyone out in turn one, then do a lap backwards, then pit the car.  He called George Russell and said he'd figure George would have the best advice since George is accustom to starting from last.  Finally, he called Zak Brown for advice.  It was hilarious and worth the 30 minutes to watch!

-Rob

Keith Tanner
3/22/20 4:41 p.m.

How were you watching? I don't watch esports, so I don't know if I should be on YouTube or twitch or whatever. 

Watched on YouTube. Not stellar. Lots of nothing, a bit of good racing ending in video game antics and a timing screen that was basically randomly generated from what I could tell. Is this what esports are usually like? Not trying to be the old man here, serious question. 

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
3/22/20 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I also watched on youtube.  

For sure less polished than more established esports, not surprising given F1's focus on actual racing.  

Most if not all of the racers had their own streams of the event, mostly YT or Twitch.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
3/22/20 5:17 p.m.

I watched the F1 stream on Youtube and I agree, it was kinda blah. Jimmy Broadbent (a Youtuber who drives lots of different games/cars) had a live stream going on his Youtube channel.  Lando has a popular Twitch streaming channel and, at one point, had over 100k watching him today.  

Comparing it to the Nascar race, the quality of the F1 game stunk.  I assume it's because it's the "Official Racing Game of F1", but would have preferred if they'd done it on iRacing or rFactor2 as both of those are true sims, not games. 

Apparently Verstappen didn't race in it because he doesn't like nor has much experience in the F1 game.  However, he's been racing in a bunch of the others.

Go look up the iRacing channel on YouTube and you can find some of the other races for the difference in quality.  This is new to all of the racing series, so the first few races like this will stink as they figure out how to add graphics, commentary, etc.  That is, if the shutdown lasts long enough to invest in it.  If you can find a replay, FoxSports did a decent job for the Nascar race today.  They had normal Nascar announcers and were able to interview a few of the drivers. 

This is still NOTHING like regular racing.  Bumping doesn't work the same, drafting doesn't work the same, the cars are 100% equal, damage is not the same, basically, you miss the "feel" of racing.  However, I'd still rather watch it than binge another TV show and the sheer goofiness of it right now, kinda makes it part of the fun.

-Rob

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/22/20 6:36 p.m.

I was able to handle a lap...

johndej
johndej HalfDork
3/30/20 11:02 a.m.

Damn, just reading how cutthroat Red Bull is. Apparently Helmut seriously suggested getting all their drivers infected.

His logic was that they were unlikely to be seriously impacted and would be fully recovered once the season got restarted. Would also serve as "teambuilding" in a camp like set up.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/30/20 12:05 p.m.
johndej said:

Damn, just reading how cutthroat Red Bull is. Apparently Helmut seriously suggested getting all their drivers infected.

His logic was that they were unlikely to be seriously impacted and would be fully recovered once the season got restarted. Would also serve as "teambuilding" in a camp like set up.

That is what Sweden did.  Hide the old folks and those most likely to suffer badly, let the rest of the population get herd immunity.  It seems like a decent idea, until a mechanic dies...

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
3/30/20 12:19 p.m.

Quarantine F1:

Keith Tanner
4/6/20 5:36 p.m.

Did anyone else watch the virtual Vietnam F1 race held in Melbourne this weekend? It was on a different level than the Bahrain fiasco. More real drivers, much cleaner driving, less randomness and still Lando Norris can't seem to get on track. I had to laugh out loud with the intro montage being made up of game footage instead of real world footage. I skipped quali because it just wasn't interesting, but there was some real racing going on.

Biggest complaint I have is that some of the guys aren't using their real names. Takes a while to learn that HughGRection69 is really Max Verstappen (or something, I don't know), especially when the announcers are using real names.

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/6/20 5:49 p.m.

Max doesn't like the F1 game, he's been pretty vocal on his Twitch about not racing in that series because of it. Alex Albon and Ben Stokes (Cricket player and Red Bull athlete) were in the two Red Bull cars.

Keith Tanner
4/6/20 6:19 p.m.

Albon was one of the ones using a different username, I just couldn't think of any of the actual ones so I made up a ridiculous example. I did very much like all the current F1 drivers that showed up, although in our house we were rooting for Jenson because we will alway root for Jenson.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
4/6/20 7:55 p.m.

They made a comment on how the drivers were cutting corners too much. Isn't there a way they could program more damage when they cut too much? I am new to the whole esports thing. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
4/8/20 9:36 p.m.

Formula 1 YouTube channel is replaying whole races, I find them very interesting

Honsch
Honsch New Reader
4/8/20 10:25 p.m.

One thing about watching all the pros race online is the absolute must have car-to-car radio so the racers can trash talk each other during races. 
Air it un-edetied on a secondary audio channel, it's comedy gold.

Keith Tanner
4/8/20 11:19 p.m.
Iusedtobefast said:

They made a comment on how the drivers were cutting corners too much. Isn't there a way they could program more damage when they cut too much? I am new to the whole esports thing. 

That's just SOP for Vettel anyhow :)

Apparently damage can be turned down to allow for better newbie racing. 

Keith Tanner
4/10/20 9:08 a.m.

F1 TV is free for the next month. You can watch every Grand Prix since 1981, so you'll learn that there never has really been all that much passing and that one team dominating is pretty much par for the course :) 

But the noise! Everything from DFVs to screaming V10s to the hand grenade turbos.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.get-ready-to-binge-f1-tv-access-is-now-free-for-30-days.1Dil4SQ8MZCbJDFFy3Z1kk.html

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
4/10/20 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

People definitely have rose colored glasses. It wasn't unusual for 75% of the field to be lapped in the 80s and 90s. 

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 75

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TdpxFZ63ZaS9marltEhlbffLvT9ADfXtEnB7OIXoJnYYwxGWt4OGxiLbhuZW0nmt