Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/4/21 11:01 a.m.
feature_image

As one of the most accessible avenues into open-wheel racing since the early 1960s, Formula Vee has served as an early stepping stone for drivers like Niki Lauda and Nelson Piquet. And now that accessibility has been extended into the digital racing world of iRacing.

As part of the Season 3 update, iRacing adds the popular entry-level formula series as well as …

Read the rest of the story

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/21 2:48 p.m.

I've been looking forward to this since it was announced at the beginning of April, all the free R888R's!

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/4/21 3:15 p.m.

Pedant time; isn't that more Formula First than Formula Vee?  Disc brakes and wide treaded tires are not allowed on a Vee.

Regardless it's still cool.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/21 3:33 p.m.

The one and only open-wheel race I've ever done was in a Vee. It was a blast.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/4/21 9:17 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

I've driven three different Vees; a modern car, an old/vintage one on slicks and a full on vintage car on treaded tires. They are indeed fun to drive, classic momentum car.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/5/21 4:10 a.m.

Or, for free, you can race the skippy, in a field of crazy people that can't drive a skippy. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/5/21 5:21 a.m.

The Skippy is extremely hard to drive. I hope the Vee is more forgiving.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/5/21 6:51 a.m.

I don't know if this is still true, but in Canada Formula Vee used to run on 13" wheels that were 6 or 7" wide and used an R-compound Yokohama tire. At the time I thought it made them look more like proper race cars. I'm talking about the 1980s.

adam525i
6/5/21 7:58 a.m.

In reply to Vajingo :

Skippy isn't free, gotta pay to play there (car and most of the tracks).

jkstill
jkstill New Reader
6/6/21 2:19 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Personally I don't find the Skippy overly difficult to drive.

Driving it at the highest level appears to be quite difficult, but driving at 2 seconds off the absolute fastest drivers is doable with practice.

At least in my opinion, the hardest car to drive well is the SRF.   I've never gotten the hang of that car..

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 HalfDork
6/7/21 3:24 p.m.

Looking forward to the Vee.   I've been racing the Skippy the last 2 seasons and having a blast, wish there was a SCCA series with the skippy again.   

adam525i
6/10/21 2:13 p.m.

Just bumping this up to say this thing is a lot of fun to drive, haven't had a chance to race it yet but just in practice sessions it's a blast to run close with others. It's a rookie car but  doesn't feel dumbed down like they did with the MX-5 in the past (and again with the new sequential that the real cars are getting sad)

iRacing did an awesome job with this update, the new Porsche GT3 R is great, the Redbull ring is a fun track and the updates to existing cars like the M4 GT3 feel really good as well.

If you haven't had a chance get the 9GB update downloaded and try it out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1lUwLPjWKeBEKD0dsvTkSQfqeKEhyPHklLhM442ZYaKZcesC0yxDyvVK16gOZa1t