DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/1/12 8:26 a.m.

that my dad owns. Updated it to the list.

Came from the Caterham factory with the Cosworth BDR 1600 16 valve with 45DCOE carburetters. Didnt know it was dry sump too (since most of the parts are scattered) Trying to find more info out on these motors

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/1/12 8:32 a.m.

In reply to DukeOfUndersteer:

Scattered as in lost, or scattered in a great failure that messed up the sump so bad that you can't really tell what it is?

Sounds like a fascinating search, though.

Is that engine a unique Cosworth, or a cossie head on a ford block?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/1/12 8:35 a.m.

Sweet! I love Caterhams. My ride in the last model R500 is the most memorable experience in a car.

DukeOfUndersteer
2/1/12 8:35 a.m.

scattered as in my dad disassembled the whole thing to rebuild it, boxed everything away in boxes, then has them in 2 different locations about 20 miles away. So half the parts are there, other half are somewhere else.

From what I am reading, they only made 50 of these motors with 40DCOE's, since the 1700cc was more popular.

Any additional info would be awesome, I know how smart you guys are on obscure things like this

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
2/1/12 8:36 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to DukeOfUndersteer: Scattered as in lost, or scattered in a great failure that messed up the sump so bad that you can't really tell what it is? Sounds like a fascinating search, though. Is that engine a unique Cosworth, or a cossie head on a ford block?

BD family Cosworth engines orignated from the Ford Kent block. IIRC BDR was the designation specific to the engine kits sold to Caterham.

DukeOfUndersteer
2/1/12 8:39 a.m.

got some pics too!

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/1/12 8:42 a.m.

Very cool.

Dripping with cool.

Covered with cool, that when you clean it off, it will still be cool.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
2/1/12 8:44 a.m.

I'm extremely jealous.

How's the engine look on cursory inspection? Do you know how much time your dad put on it?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/12 9:04 a.m.

nice looking car. was that an early Caterham, or did the smaller engined cars not get all muscular looking?

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
2/1/12 9:06 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: nice looking car. was that an early Caterham, or did the smaller engined cars not get all muscular looking?

It's a 1984. Caterham started in '73.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
2/1/12 9:51 a.m.

I love it. What rear suspension is in it?

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
2/1/12 9:55 a.m.
RossD wrote: I love it. What rear suspension is in it?

If memory serves, pre '85 should be a solid axle.

DukeOfUndersteer
2/1/12 10:15 a.m.

Yep, rear is solid. It has intentions to go IRS.

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
2/1/12 11:54 a.m.

If you're looking for info, you might try contacting Rocky Mountain Sportscars in Denver, Colorado. They might be able to help you out.

-chris r.

DukeOfUndersteer
2/1/12 6:38 p.m.

stole this off my dad's Facebook. When he had his own kit car company - Hutton Stevenson, he had Tommy Kendall and Max Jones testing out his HS Sabre7 at Willow Springs...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/1/12 7:15 p.m.

That's cool. The motor looks exactly like the Cosworth Vega lump (surprise, surprise).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x7HMc4TPqEnING3ufyT1jZEFdxoVEnztu4DvmNZbUoU8WDLbdqBnAVirEQMFGx8t