1 2
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/20 9:52 p.m.

Isn't the OG Mini like the most VIN swapped vehicle in the US? Is there a possibility that it's not actually a 1980?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/16/20 10:32 p.m.

Japanese minis had an egr system for emissions starting in 1980. My guess is it's an oxygen sensor tied to that. 

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage New Reader
6/17/20 6:43 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Interesting. I did a little googling and found this place that sells some egr parts for Japanese minis (but not these particular parts)

http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=Japan

I’ll have to do more digging around under the hood. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/17/20 7:58 a.m.

In reply to BFH_Garage :

That page has a "cat overheat buzzer" for later years. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't that

Run_Away (Wears Clogs)
Run_Away (Wears Clogs) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/20 8:52 a.m.

Agreed, JDM cars often had a cat overtemp light in the dash that wasn't present on North American markets

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/17/20 9:50 a.m.
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/17/20 10:56 a.m.

Part #17 is part number WDN100110, Sensor for catalyst temperature Japan Market only.

This looks like the version that came on the later injected Minis and not the 1980.

Here is a page from a japanese site. I think item #11 may be the part, but it is not listed on the page.https://turtle-trading.co.jp/store/products/list.php?category_id=1387&car_category_id=4000003

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/20 12:28 p.m.

So, it's not a 1980 is it?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/17/20 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

It could be since it appears starting in 1980 the Japanese spec cars had a catalyst overheated buzzer while still being carbed. Fuel injection didn't come along until mid to late 90's. Those later injected Japanese cars typically had AC, so that is an easy way to identify the Japanese cars. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/17/20 3:36 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

So, it's not a 1980 is it?

I'd say it is.  I imported a 1980 a few years ago from Japan.  That's how I knew the 80 had emissions, my 77 did not.

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage New Reader
6/19/20 9:45 p.m.

Before I removed these parts, I put the torch to the sensor to see if it triggered a buzzer... nothing. 

Parts have been removed, will wait for a different time to dive behind the dash to see where those last two wires went to. Until then, they are taped off and tucked away under the carpet. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1zseEAVOd7HJdLdEjBUx7sm5F0li95tjAWNKUp0SrZM7OpxOhXRygKwo0BD0YwGF