1 2 3
wawazat
wawazat Dork
9/17/21 6:40 p.m.

So I've come to possess a 1970's vintage 460 Ford motor.  I've had a lot of engines over the years but have never had a big block powered anything.  I like long roofs a LOT and love torque.  I like the idea of a budget big cube/low rev build with AL heads and intake plus a turbo just because.  Because turbo and torque I think an automatic transmission makes sense.  
What are your thoughts or recommendations?  This will be a ways out there for me so just dreaming of a future project.  

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
9/17/21 7:24 p.m.

A 1968 AMC Javelin...because I love that profile. seems a great candidate for a big block...and I recently saw one in solid(but needing restoring) shape on FB marketplace for $2500...lol

 

 

Its got your long roof anyway

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/17/21 7:29 p.m.

63 galaxy. 512 stroker kit. Five speed. Wheel tubs. Black with red interior. 

 

Or, 65 Lincoln continental. Bags. Black on black. Black windows. All stock chrome, polished billet 20s. Every creature comfort possible. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/21 7:37 p.m.

Those things have monster bores and short strokes.  If you never want it to rev past 5000 again and want the big smiles, stroke it.  Get the cheapest 4.3" cast crank you can find for $400 new or $150 used and make it happen.  Easy 514 cubes with minimal clearancing.  Of course, you'll need more than just the crank, but you get the picture.  Stock stroke is only 3.85" and there is room for crank things.  I think the cutoff for a raised-cam block is somewhere around the 4.5" stroke mark.

Does it have D0VE-C heads?  If so, fully port the exhaust (along with cutting in larger valve seats) and you have a pretty sweet head.  As-cast they flow 290 cfm on the intake side, but the exhaust side sucks.  It stalls flow at 135 cfm at a measly .400" lift and never gets better no matter how high you lift.

On the intake side, they shine with high lift.  Don't be afraid to push it to .700" lift which you can get away with on ramp speeds given you're likely running a short-ish duration flat tappet cam.

I will have to dig deeper as my BBF knowledge is dying a slow painful death.  

 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/21 7:50 p.m.

Something like this 63 galaxie

wawazat
wawazat Dork
9/17/21 7:56 p.m.

Wicked93GS-I'm a big fan of that gen Javelin/AMX.  Interesting idea.  Thanks!  
 

By long roof I was thinking more station wagon.  I love 1960 Galaxie and the Country Sedan wagons.  Not as much of a fan of the mid size Fairlane wagons but also like all vintages of the Falcon wagon.  There is an early 60's two door Falcon wagon near me for sale that I like but can't imagine it would swallow the 460.  
 

Michael knows me pretty well it appears that or we're step brothers!  Both stellar recommendations my friend!  The short run '67-'68 Continental coupe is also pretty tasty.  I also really like the 1970 Thunderbird coupe without the vinyl top.  

Curtis-thanks for the input.  I recall reading the "what's your favorite big block" thread with great interest.  

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/17/21 8:01 p.m.

I loved my '68 Country Sedan. The 67 had stacked headlights though which I always envied. It was a 390 and already had plenty of power so the 460 with a turbo would be just right.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
9/17/21 8:05 p.m.

Thanks Cherrod.  I've always loved the Galaxies of that gen but the fast back and Starliners especially.  The 1961/1962 Thunderbird I really like too but only in convertible form as the formal lines on the hard top don't work in my mind.  Combine the Starliner roof with the 1961 Bullet bird and now you're talking.  Hubba hubba!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
9/17/21 8:15 p.m.

I forget exactly which year but around '69? Ford made changes in the firewall and other things in the engine compartment to allow the taller deck BBF. Prior to that they can be squeezed in but it's a royal pain,  BTDT and wouldn't do it again.  So I'd recommend Country Squire wagon of  late 60's or early 70's after the changes were made.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
9/17/21 8:20 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

I forget exactly which year but around '69? Ford made changes in the firewall and other things in the engine compartment to allow the taller deck BBF. Prior to that they can be squeezed in but it's a royal pain,  BTDT and wouldn't do it again.  So I'd recommend Country Squire wagon of  late 60's or early 70's after the changes were made.

Interesting.  I know the 385 series motors (429/460) are big but are they that much bigger than the FE (352/390/406/427/428)?  1971 saw the 385 motors replace the FE's in Mustang and Cougar but I dont know the mid and full size Ford platforms anyway near as well.  

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
9/17/21 8:36 p.m.

I'd put it in a Jaguar.

More seriously, I've always loved the 60s and 70s station wagons. Maybe because my folks had 80s Country Squires when I was a kid.  Tub the back, big fat tires and one of the RV big mudlaps so you can't see how much rubber there is from behind.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
9/17/21 9:04 p.m.
wawazat said:

Wicked93GS-I'm a big fan of that gen Javelin/AMX.  Interesting idea.  Thanks!  
 

By long roof I was thinking more station wagon.  I love 1960 Galaxie and the Country Sedan wagons.  Not as much of a fan of the mid size Fairlane wagons but also like all vintages of the Falcon wagon.  There is an early 60's two door Falcon wagon near me for sale that I like but can't imagine it would swallow the 460.  
 

Michael knows me pretty well it appears that or we're step brothers!  Both stellar recommendations my friend!  The short run '67-'68 Continental coupe is also pretty tasty.  I also really like the 1970 Thunderbird coupe without the vinyl top.  

Curtis-thanks for the input.  I recall reading the "what's your favorite big block" thread with great interest.  

You could put it in the early falcon easily enough...either by chopping out the shock towers and putting in a MII style suspension(some of them are decent)...or by retrofitting 67+ Mustang shock towers to gain the clearance needed for a big block...falcon towers are slightly different but I think the later Mustang towers will fit easily enough, the frame is still the same and that is the main structural attachment point.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/21 9:04 p.m.

1971 Mark III:

or late-60s Thunderbird:

I know you said long roof, but long hood?

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
9/17/21 9:05 p.m.

Ford version of the General Mayhem. Throw it in whatever shell of a car you can get ahold of, and do basic bolt-ons to it, and then hoon it.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
9/17/21 9:16 p.m.


 

1970 Tbird coupe

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
9/17/21 9:21 p.m.

I've always wanted to swap a 460 into a foxbody just so I could put 7.5 fender badges on it. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
9/17/21 9:21 p.m.

1968 Lincoln Continental coupe

wawazat
wawazat Dork
9/17/21 9:26 p.m.

Bullet bird with Starliner roof.  

 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
9/17/21 9:28 p.m.
iammclovin804 said:

I've always wanted to swap a 460 into a foxbody just so I could put 7.5 fender badges on it. 

I've had a bunch of Fox Mustangs and like this idea too.  I know they fit.  I also like the idea of stuffing this lump in to a 1988 Tbird turbo coupe.  

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
9/17/21 10:01 p.m.
wawazat said:
iammclovin804 said:

I've always wanted to swap a 460 into a foxbody just so I could put 7.5 fender badges on it. 

I've had a bunch of Fox Mustangs and like this idea too.  I know they fit.  I also like the idea of stuffing this lump in to a 1988 Tbird turbo coupe.  

https://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-ford-thunderbird-turbo-coupe-speed/7378904030.html

 

85 is close enough to 88 right? 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/21 10:17 p.m.
iammclovin804 said:
wawazat said:
iammclovin804 said:

I've always wanted to swap a 460 into a foxbody just so I could put 7.5 fender badges on it. 

I've had a bunch of Fox Mustangs and like this idea too.  I know they fit.  I also like the idea of stuffing this lump in to a 1988 Tbird turbo coupe.  

https://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-ford-thunderbird-turbo-coupe-speed/7378904030.html

 

85 is close enough to 88 right? 

That's what I had in mind. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/17/21 10:45 p.m.

Pinto, built C4, built 9" or 8.8", lots of nitrous and winning at the local 1/8th mile. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
9/17/21 10:55 p.m.
wawazat said:
NOT A TA said:

I forget exactly which year but around '69? Ford made changes in the firewall and other things in the engine compartment to allow the taller deck BBF. Prior to that they can be squeezed in but it's a royal pain,  BTDT and wouldn't do it again.  So I'd recommend Country Squire wagon of  late 60's or early 70's after the changes were made.

Interesting.  I know the 385 series motors (429/460) are big but are they that much bigger than the FE (352/390/406/427/428)?  1971 saw the 385 motors replace the FE's in Mustang and Cougar but I dont know the mid and full size Ford platforms anyway near as well.  

If you're building a Mustang drag car or something where you can cut everything out and what not you can put it in lots of stuff but if you try and put it in something like a mid 60's wagon and want it nice and kinda stock looking for street use it'd be a chore. Master cylinder clearance, trans tunnel, hood, and other stuff comes into play and things like accessory mounting and AC can be a nightmare requiring billet accessory drive or other things. So if you want to build a street car that's reasonably plug & play stick to the chassis that were changed to accommodate the bigger engine.

I learned the hard way when I got tasked to work on this '68 Fairlane someone had shoehorned a 460 into. They got the engine & trans in but nothing functional and most everything was hacked or screwed up somehow. Drive line, brakes, steering, fuel system, etc. etc. etc.   Rewiring the entire car was one of the easier tasks even with some $25.00 cheap crap wiring harness someone had started trying to install. To say they got in waaaay over their heads would be putting it mildly. ahaha. Eventually the owner screwed me for $1,000.00 of my labor and it was almost a relief that I wouldn't have to work on it anymore.

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/a/58621def-79a9-4637-bd17-8c7800ec222a/p/fa57e901-a643-4fe7-ae8d-3e6ae6d2cbff][/URL]

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/a/58621def-79a9-4637-bd17-8c7800ec222a/p/7ff54063-0207-48ec-a04f-6a01d0ad0ef8][/URL]

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/a/58621def-79a9-4637-bd17-8c7800ec222a/p/0947a0b1-6ad5-4f65-8ddf-31101e427943][/URL]

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/18/21 12:27 a.m.

Build it to CJ specs (that's what the D0VE heads are).

Put it in this:

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/21 1:07 a.m.

My grandfather had a one-year-only 1977 Cougar Villager station wagon, so if I were thinking about a Country Squire, I'd be searching the planet for one of those Cougars instead, but I don't think I've ever seen another one in person. 
 

But, man those Montegos are cool!

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
ReLdpSs7fvHemAikIeX6XgtBBVY95RPSNvHOF50ticurWGCn4o7GvTCmxsxU43aR