David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/21/17 10:24 a.m.

This story comes from all the way back in 2001. The message rings even stronger today as Subaru is currently celebrating its 67th consecutive month of yearly month-over-month growth.

To zoom in, hold down the CTRL (or Command on a Mac) key and then hit the “+” key.

Want to read about the coolest cars in amateur motorsports? Get a …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
8/1/17 6:20 p.m.

Just bumping this up because, darn it, I just like this one.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
8/2/17 5:48 a.m.

Love Subies. I am on my sixth one currently.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
8/2/17 6:40 a.m.

I really want to love Subaru's. Well, I love the looks and performance and the aura but I'm struggling to get over my fears of the Grassroots priced ones.

Coming from a GMT 800, it's hard for me to feel comfortable with the issues I've read about i.e.: head gaskets.

If fact, (not sure if this is a strange notion) I'm searching for a brand that I can not only drive but collect lots of interchangeable parts and kind of get into the "scene".

I mean, I LOVE driving by a house where you can see that they're big fans of one brand or another: a driver, a parts car, a garage full of seats, rims, tires, body panels.

Seems like Subaru and Jeep are like that. The ol' Lego phenomenon!

Blaise
Blaise Reader
8/2/17 8:04 a.m.

^ Headgasket issues haven't been a thing since the 2.2 era. You're talking 20 years ago.

LEGO AWAY!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
8/2/17 8:10 a.m.
Blaise wrote: ^ Headgasket issues haven't been a thing since the 2.2 era. You're talking 20 years ago. LEGO AWAY!

Thanks for that! I'll have to look into prices because the 2.2 era is what I was referring to being Grassroots priced but maybe in need to revisit that theory.

David S. Wallens
8/25/17 9:20 a.m.

A few years ago we built up a 2.2-liter-powered Impreza rallycross car. As a Subaru technical rep once told me, that's the engine that can easily take a shot from a .357 Magnum. It was deemed as unkillable.

Crash Enburn
Crash Enburn New Reader
8/25/17 4:47 p.m.
Blaise wrote: ^ Headgasket issues haven't been a thing since the 2.2 era. You're talking 20 years ago. LEGO AWAY!

Don't want to be a downer, but the NA 2.5l engines are notorious for going through head gaskets. I've heard rumor that 2010+ have fixed that. I dunno. My '98 w/ 163K on it was just diagnosed as having its third freaking set of head gaskets leaking. Instead of the normal $1500 charge, the shop recommends doing a complete rebuild/replace of the engine for a mere $6K.

The turbo engines are of a closed-deck design, and are apparently not prone to the head gasket issues.

Don't get me wrong. I love Subarus. I'm frustrated that they're continually losing to VWs (and the Fords) in the Red Bull GRC. I share bro nods with other modded Subie drivers. But this latest engine problem is a really bitter pill to swallow.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4FeFubbymMiXRpkbi8ysmXqwrsWnJAHJTxPxPNvjS886sf7umHEx6OVxZdFRyAEf