Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/16 5:13 p.m.

Not mine, not Challenge Friendly, but too weird not to share...

Linky

Offered is a 1963 Studebaker Avanti, originally an R2. The original color was turquoise with fawn interior. It was professionally repainted about 15 years ago. The original R2 supercharged motor was destroyed several years ago and is not available at all. The owner at the time replaced the motor with a mid-90's GMC/Chevy diesel and added air conditioning. The car was originally an automatic and turned into a 4-speed. This car was running and driving with the diesel, AC and 4-speed. In the middle of upgrading to a more friendly transmission for the diesel owner's health took a turn for the worse. Currently, the diesel is no good and has to be removed and replaced with a Stude or motor of your choice. There is no trans, however I have a T-10, 4-speed I removed from my corvette for an additional $500. Also no driveshaft. As you can see in the pics the interior was slowly being changed over to burgundy to match the exterior. The rear seat and very nice door panels still have the fawn color. The roof has scratches in the paint running from front to back. I believe this was done by storing items on the roof and then someone sliding them off. I have a copy of the build-sheet pictured. The hog-trough's and frame are cancer free except for a very small, one inch diameter soft spot on one hog-trough. As far as I can see, this car was never hit. I am still in the process of cleaning some of the mold off of some interior parts and are coming very good. I have about 32 pictures and am willing to send you more upon request. I also have the hood and other parts as well. In the past year I have purchased three 1963 Avantis. The first one was missing the motor, trans, and too many parts. It was also set up for a SBC with Chevy rear installed. In the process of looking for parts I found this Avanti I have listed for sale. Then, I drove out to my first "all Studebaker parts swap meet" at York, Pa and found another 63. Out of control, I had to have it. I have recently sold my first and now I am listing this, my second, for sale; I am keeping my third! I had good intentions for this car, therefore I have a clear title in my name. Summary: This is a project that needs a motor, transmission, drive shaft and the rear motor mount. I am asking $5,300. Located in Boonton, NJ 07005 Call: 9 seven 3 - six one zero - 8488

Aspen
Aspen Reader
10/19/16 10:20 a.m.

$5,300 dollars? Wow. No drive train, previous hacked up swap, scratched paint, moldy mis-matched interior and a way ugly car to begin with.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/16 10:34 a.m.

I kinda like Avantis.. It would be cool with an LSx and the fully modern Drivetrain that comes with it

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/19/16 10:34 a.m.
Aspen wrote: $5,300 dollars? Wow. No drive train, previous hacked up swap, scratched paint, moldy mis-matched interior, but such a cool looking car to have started with.

Fixed that for you.

I really don't understand the fascination with oil burners in this country when they still pretty much give gas away way too cheap. It doesn't make sense. Also, why convert to a manual. Diesels were born to use automatics. The massive low end torque and the reluctance to rev means you've done three gear changes by the time you reach the exit to the parking lot.

Having said i don't get the original swap to diesel, it's already been done. It would be kind of perversely cool to replace the diesel engine with another, but drop in an auto to go with it.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
10/19/16 10:56 a.m.

Would love to have the time and money to take this on as a project, but I have too many other irons in the fire at this moment.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
10/19/16 11:47 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I kinda like Avantis.. It would be cool with an LSx and the fully modern Drivetrain that comes with it

This... is EXACTLY what went thru my mind.

Oconn709
Oconn709
10/9/18 10:38 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

Hi Woody

i saw your post from 2016 about the avaviti with the Diesel engine.  Where did you find this post.  The car was my stepfather’s.  My brother sold it with out my knowledge after my stepfather’s stroke.  I would just  like to find out who owns it know so I know the car has a good home.  My stepfather had put a Detroit diesel in it and replumbed everything for the engine.  He had wanted a number of years ago to take it EnglishTown for time trials on the quarter mile

thanks

Tom

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/9/18 10:48 a.m.
Oconn709 said:

In reply to Woody :

Hi Woody

i saw your post from 2016 about the avaviti with the Diesel engine.  Where did you find this post.  The car was my stepfather’s.  My brother sold it with out my knowledge after my stepfather’s stroke.  I would just  like to find out who owns it know so I know the car has a good home.  My stepfather had put a Detroit diesel in it and replumbed everything for the engine.  He had wanted a number of years ago to take it EnglishTown for time trials on the quarter mile

thanks

Tom

He found it on Craigslist so the ad is long gone, but there is a phone number: Call: 973 - six one zero - 8488

Oconn709
Oconn709 New Reader
10/9/18 11:46 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Thank you

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
10/9/18 11:54 a.m.

and the plot thickens... 

NickD
NickD UberDork
10/9/18 12:13 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

and the plot thickens... 

Indeed. At first I was about to get irritated at someone necro-threading. Then I read it and was fascinated.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/18 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Oconn709 :

if you find out anything, please come back and let us know!   how long ago did your brother sell it?

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
10/9/18 8:04 p.m.

Wherever this goes and hopefully to Oconn709 ....I vote another GM diesel implant of the 2001-04 variety(LB7) with a ZF six speed..... wink

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/9/18 10:42 p.m.

Also, why convert to a manual. Diesels were born to use automatics. The massive low end torque and the reluctance to rev means you've done three gear changes by the time you reach the exit to the parking lot.

I would love to do a 6.5td/4spd swap to my 88 Chevy Pickup. But, the only reason I think it's feasible is that you can get, for example, a 2.43:1 differential gear set for the rear end. Diesels only have short gears if they're geared too short. Although, that IS most of what you find in stock pickups. This incredibly powerful diesel pickup can pull 12000 lbs as long as it's geared to run 2/3rds of redline all the time! Yeah, well if the gas pickups were geared to turn 4000 rpm on the highway they'd be doing ok pulling 12000lbs too.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VDVhqmWnlWqVIUnkvigss0wM6H8bGyOonrLpQoAIfyWcXTpHyXakCPxuxCdoM0nU