Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
9/15/16 8:22 a.m.

Went to put the t-tops in the frunk this morning, just in case that 0% chance of rain doesn't hold up. Pulled the latch, nothing happens. Tried pulling harder, still nothing. Tried pushing and pulling the frunk to see if it would pop, nothing.

What next? Do I need two people, one on latch and one on frunk lid?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/15/16 8:42 a.m.

Shotgun?

Seriously, though, I'd say yes, 2 people. One to push down and/or pull up on the lid, and one to operate the latch.

Does it feel connected, or just like it's not moving anything but itself?

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
9/15/16 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

Feels connected, like maybe just needs a bit more. I'll recruit a coworker here shortly.

java230
java230 Dork
9/15/16 10:50 a.m.

Cable stretch most likely. Can you get at it from underneath?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/15/16 11:08 a.m.

Make sure they don't beat on the hood like some dummies I've had help with stuck hoods before. The hood will dent readily. Push firmly over a wide area near the latch.

I've also had to cut through a cable before and just yank on the center. I found the cable messed up / pinched / whatever upstream a bit. I used pliers to pull it the first time and then tied a nut to the loose end of cable to use as a handle until I could get a replacement.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/15/16 11:19 a.m.

No help but just thought I'd point out that I the area behind the seat is designed to hold the t-tops.
One behind each seat.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/15/16 11:28 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: No help but just thought I'd point out that I the area behind the seat is designed to hold the t-tops. One behind each seat.

Hopefully with their bags...

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
9/15/16 11:45 a.m.
stan wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: No help but just thought I'd point out that I the area behind the seat is designed to hold the t-tops. One behind each seat.
Hopefully with their bags...

Bags yes. Stored, well, that's where the pair of Kicker boxes are at the moment...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/15/16 11:55 a.m.

Oh, that explains why.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
9/15/16 1:33 p.m.

My coworker has an MR2 and here is his response:

"I reached up from underneath the car and released the latch with pliers as I recall. Cable seems sensitive to setup, meaning a little bit of slack and no “pop”. Current latch releases but doesn’t pop up, so I use my fingers at the edges to open it (i.e. it releases but doesn’t lift the extra inch)."

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/15/16 1:39 p.m.

If it releases but doesn't lift up see if it has the rubber bumpers that can be screwed out to provide more lift.

Will
Will UltraDork
9/15/16 7:34 p.m.

Raise the headlights. You can get a better grip on the frunk to pull it up (assuming it's releasing, but not popping up). That happened all the time in my first SW20.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/15/16 8:19 p.m.

You can also take the flapper off the dash and grab the cable center with some pliers. Give it an extra tug that the flapper may not provide. That's assuming it is still connected to the release.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
9/15/16 8:50 p.m.
Will wrote: Raise the headlights. You can get a better grip on the frunk to pull it up (assuming it's releasing, but not popping up). That happened all the time in my first SW20.

Bingo. That gave just enough extra room, especially the passenger side has just a touch more clearance between the frunk and headlight. I could hear it pop when I pulled the release, but nothing budged on it's own. Switched the headlights on & was able to reach underneath and pull.

maj75
maj75 Reader
9/16/16 7:17 a.m.

Time for Frunk pins!

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
9/16/16 8:44 a.m.

Another victory for flip-up headlights.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/16 8:58 a.m.

I knew the Sunroof panel went up there, always thought that was cool.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
9/16/16 12:48 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I knew the Sunroof panel went up there, always thought that was cool.

Did either the AW11 or the SW20 have an option for a removable sunroof panel that went in the frunk? I thought that the only removable roof option was the 2-piece T-tops that went behind the seats.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
9/16/16 2:52 p.m.

Yes SW20's also had the removable Sunroof that stored in the Frunk.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/16 7:33 p.m.
ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/16/16 7:50 p.m.

If the release bracket is anything like the AE86 trunk/ gas lid/hood releases, the stamped metal is sometimes bent inward a little, resulting in too much slack in the cable, and questionable release. Taking the release handle bracket off and giving it a gentle bend outwards seems to help.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pINPqcvDW4xxl7zK24txTsOeqMFDCboK6wrm3sf6W2avK5nCvoHzzY2TqwANI4WJ