Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
12/11/20 8:03 p.m.

Some of you may know I'm the advisor for Hope College's Formula SAE Team.  I usually employ one or two team members at Eclectic Motorworks as well.  Due to COVID, their semester ended early and the next one starts late, so some of the more local team members started a side project to hone their fabrication skills over their extended break.    

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/20 10:28 p.m.

In reply to Carl Heideman :

Fuji?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/11/20 10:47 p.m.

Thought I was looking at some Steel Bridge competition stuff till I looked closer

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/12/20 5:18 a.m.

Those Dutchmen are riding one big bike.  

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/12/20 7:51 a.m.

Ok, that's awesome!

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
12/12/20 8:34 a.m.

Certainly interested in more. Drivetrain layout is going to be something.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/12/20 8:43 a.m.

I think you'll want more bottom brackets to transfer the power rather than one chain, don't you?

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
12/12/20 10:22 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Fuji?

I don't know the brand.  I'm actually in Traverse City for a long weekend.  The cat is away, so the mice are playing in the shop this weekend.  They texted that photo last night, so that's all I know so far.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
12/12/20 10:25 a.m.
chandler said:

I think you'll want more bottom brackets to transfer the power rather than one chain, don't you?

I suspect this thing is going to end up with a motor.  I asked them about the bottom brackets and they said something about footpegs instead of pedals.  And my emergency backup son, Chris, is on the team.  He and I built the Trust Bike a few years ago--a motorized tandem where the rear rider controls the clutch and throttle while the front rider steers.

vsquaredbyrho
vsquaredbyrho New Reader
12/12/20 10:33 a.m.

That looks like a fun project. But the turning radius makes me hope it only gets tested in giant parking lots.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
12/12/20 1:22 p.m.
vsquaredbyrho said:

That looks like a fun project. But the turning radius makes me hope it only gets tested in giant parking lots.

I suspect this bike will be like the Spruce Goose:  One or two demonstration trials and then onto a life of display. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/12/20 1:51 p.m.

Interestingly the school has a Dutch background, along with most of the city and Holland was once heavy with wooden ship builders so this may end up being a "spruce goose".  (My kid went here)

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
12/13/20 7:20 p.m.

They tested it, and got up to four riders (no seats in the middle yet, so the two middle guys just sat on the frame) when they found out the aluminum rear wheel couldn't handle the side load in a turn.  They're FSAE students--they'll do some FEA and figure it out.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
12/13/20 7:22 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Interestingly the school has a Dutch background, along with most of the city and Holland was once heavy with wooden ship builders so this may end up being a "spruce goose".  (My kid went here)

Chris Craft used to have a huge factory in Holland.  Grand Craft makes Chris Craft replicas and used to build them right next door to Eclectic.  Grand Craft built boats for Robert Redford and Tim Allen, and they'd stop in to check progress as they were being built.

When was your kid at Hope?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/20 9:51 p.m.

Sooooo, carbon fiber spokes?

Wheel would've been fine if the spokes weren't so darn stretchy.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
12/13/20 10:15 p.m.

Fuji always has had nice looking frames. Solid riding bikes as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QHGScI3QP7uIEQ2Q9zn6eBzKjZQEL04NnlTLlon5FRkcaahCGyaRlMShEuedPAtS