JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/17/15 1:28 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/S2evnHRgqr4

It was a good weekend for our F500 at the Florida State autocross championships. We scored a win in F Modified, top PAX in the combined Modified group, and an overall FTD for the event. Here's the view from the rollbar.

Watch more videos

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
11/17/15 1:36 p.m.

You are allowed to run that with short sleeves?

JG Pasterjak
11/17/15 2:07 p.m.
sachilles wrote: You are allowed to run that with short sleeves?

For autocrossing, if you're not in a kart, the only actual requirement is closed-toed shoes and a helmet with a face shield if you have no windscreen. Pants are probably a good idea, otherwise that six-point harness is gonna pinch something fierce.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
11/17/15 2:08 p.m.

Good job! You looked very smooth on course.

I wish my weekend went as well, I was 5th out of ten in my class . I still need to work on my driving and the cars set up...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/17/15 3:02 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak:

You should meet Ed. He's a good guy, and sometimes posts links about F500 wins.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
11/17/15 3:05 p.m.

Aaaaand off to look for an f500

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/17/15 3:17 p.m.

Screw the time, I'd be a drifting fool at 40 and 50 seconds in!

JG Pasterjak
11/17/15 3:33 p.m.

My favorite part is the body english trying to miss the cone at 1:04. Apparently it worked, too. Didn't even realize I did that until I saw the video.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/17/15 3:35 p.m.

I like how the starter holds his ear as you start off.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/17/15 5:40 p.m.

That's not like any autocross course that I've driven! Nice!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/17/15 6:06 p.m.
sachilles wrote: You are allowed to run that with short sleeves?

I'm torn on this. Im not sure what level of safety gear i will wear in my Dmod car. These are legit race cars. Things happen in legit race cars. But its short runs with nothing (theoretically) to run into and help is closer (but probably less prepared to help in fire). In my Mod car I will also have passengers so whatever safety I choose they need too.. It's complicated. SCCA doesn't care. Kart only has requirements.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
11/17/15 6:15 p.m.

As you mentioned I liked the use of body English to help the car turn.

Not just that one, everyone.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
11/17/15 6:41 p.m.
Ian F wrote: I like how the starter holds his ear as you start off.

The first tour I went to I worked while FM ran. Day 2 I had earplugs.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/17/15 7:14 p.m.

Congrats! JG!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/15 7:16 p.m.
Kreb wrote: That's not like any autocross course that I've driven! Nice!

QFT. That's a small race track, not an autocross.

JG Pasterjak
11/17/15 7:42 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote:
Kreb wrote: That's not like any autocross course that I've driven! Nice!
QFT. That's a small race track, not an autocross.

It's the FIRM, where we do a lot of our official magazine testing. As decent autocross sites are ver much at a premium in Central Florida right now, a lot of the local clubs use it for autocrosses, but they cone down some of the faster parts or throw in some slaloms or offsets. Done right, it ends up being a nice mix of styles between classic corners and autocross elements.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
11/17/15 7:59 p.m.

Congrats. I think it was a nice run and smooth. Good job!!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/18/15 7:11 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: My favorite part is the body english trying to miss the cone at 1:04. Apparently it worked, too. Didn't even realize I did that until I saw the video.

Well... how much do you weigh compared to a F500? It's entirely possible forcibly shifting your weight in the car could have an effect. Granted, with that fancy, form-fitted seat, you shouldn't be able to move much.

I think the clothing is a personal matter. I would probably run a full suit - not because of safety concerns, but mainly because if I get a F500 the eventual plan would be to road-race it. Wearing the suit while running it at autocross would give me a chance to get used to wearing it.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/18/15 8:08 a.m.

JG, how'd the seat foam build thing work out?

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
11/19/15 12:59 a.m.

Congrats JG this is why I bought an F500; I'm after FTD as well, so far 2nd is the best I've done so I get how gratifying FTD must have been for you.

As for what I wear in my car I try to at the least wear long sleeves, at faster events I'd be inclined to wear my HANS as well. My car has a fire system and soon will have a new bladder which is a lot more than most autocross cars.

Tom

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZcqqaXWD4K7U9IEhvzN6DV1P1EiV3C1hAkCUQ9voqU2B4Pm2stAhLMpJ0efwb373