former520
former520 New Reader
9/10/11 9:43 p.m.

So today while fixing what i thought was my fuel leak, I discovered another. The second leak was in the line from the top of the tank at the fuel pump across to the hard line. I went to the store and asked for some fuel line, get home, store is closed, I am shot, it is fuel line but it says not for fuel injection. Is this stuff going to explode tomorrow or am I going to have to change it out right away. I am going to be dropping the tank and changing all rubber part is the rear of the vehicle next weekend.

Car in question is a 92 325i sedan. PS every piece of rubber is gone on this example.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/10/11 9:54 p.m.

Yeah... you don't want to use that. A BMW system is 45-55 psi. You need the high pressure fuel injection hose for anything more than a roadside patch to get you home.

You don't really need the high $$ metric stuff though, you can use domestic 5/16".

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/11/11 8:26 p.m.

You can get OEM 8mm BMW fuel line from autohausaz for a decent price, parts store (goodyear, gates, etc) is actually amazingly poor quality when you think of the consequences of it failing. I wouldnt even start the car with low pressure fuel line installed.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/11/11 10:02 p.m.

Just to provide the only missing number, the highest pressure I think I've heard of on a carbureted system is 7psi, or about 15% of an injection system.

Why any auto parts store wouldn't ask whether it was for injection or carburetion before cutting you a length is beyond me. Not so many carbureted cars running around these days.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zmL9ghpqUOheGG7wYwusbO0gCgerGTz0tgMzrD10bhnNqvr4t7g5m5xxbfkydkO8