Opus
Opus Dork
4/15/10 10:47 p.m.

In the process of getting my car running again and have switched to an electric fuel pump. It is a Ford 351w with an Edelbrock Performer carb and intake. The max pressure that the carb can handle is around 6psi, but the most pressure I am able to get at the engine is around 2-4 psi. The car will idle, but I fear that if I stomp on it (after the initial break in) the pump will not be able to keep up.

What is a good (inexpensive) fuel pump that I can use to keep the car going?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
4/15/10 11:22 p.m.

Any reason you are not using the mechanical pump on the engine? Is the electric pump close to the tank where it must be, or under the hood? Pressure is one thing, volume is another. You can adjust the carb to deal with pressure, but if the volume drops off under heavy load, you gots trouble. I have an 82 Camaro with a 350 and a 144ci roots blower on it, and until the gas up here started to get all alcoholly, the Carter mechanical nascar pump I had on it worked great. I now need a small electric booster pump at the rear to feed the big pump.

Opus
Opus Dork
4/16/10 12:07 a.m.

It worked out better layout wise to go electric. I put the fuel pump with in 12" of the tank and about crank level of the engine if not a touch higher. I have run my exhaust headers forward due to space and did not like how close the exhaust came to the fuel line and it was mickey moused in place. I am looking at possibly putting the mechanical back on, but will need to rerun my fuel a little. I had problems with my mechanical set up as well.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming so I can have it at the show in a few weeks.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
4/16/10 8:20 a.m.

For a carb. pressure is not critical. As sw said, volume is the thing. What size line are you running ?

TJ
TJ Dork
4/16/10 8:31 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I have an 82 Camaro with a 350 and a 144ci roots blower on it,

I drove a car to work today with 81ci (1330 cc) of displacement and that's with a +0.0060" overbore.

Sorry for the hijack - back to fuel pumps.

Opus
Opus Dork
4/16/10 10:33 a.m.

3/8" aluminum tubing with 1/2" hoses for the soft connections.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
4/16/10 10:35 a.m.

Are you using one of those dial type fuel pressure regulators in the system anywhere? Those limit volume drastically.

Opus
Opus Dork
4/16/10 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Per Schroeder:

Not that I think, I do have a holly pressure regulator that was built for Summit Racing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kb9ZefXFnQkxbbxza6bFMXVaeFFHklHddW4fRjsKHLwwMJF7TWMnaEIr4zmfeU6g