David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/25/20 8:27 a.m.

Why buy race gas when you can mix up your own high-octane fuel with an additive? These potions--auto parts store staples since the dawn of time--promise higher octane ratings, along with a thinner waist and whiter teeth. How can you lose? Well, not all additives are created equal–and the same can be said for street fuels mixed with said additives, explains Zachary Santner, technical …

Read the rest of the story

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/20 9:43 a.m.

What was that stuff you tested a while back that you were surprised worked as well as it did? It may not have been an octane booster, but it did produce results on the dyno if I recall. Maybe it was in a green bottle?

chaparral
chaparral Dork
3/25/20 9:54 a.m.

That was EFS Combust, but the last time GRM did a big fuels test methanol won resoundingly even without forced induction or high compression.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
3/25/20 9:58 a.m.

I have always liked the Torco booster, its one of the few that has actually hit what 98 pump and 103 race gas can do. Gets spendy to use all the time though. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/20 10:23 a.m.
Paul_VR6 said:

I have always liked the Torco booster, its one of the few that has actually hit what 98 pump and 103 race gas can do. Gets spendy to use all the time though. 

I dynoed my 640HP big block Camaro engine with both 103 race gas and pump gas with the Torco booster and I was able to run the same timing with both fuels.  Interestingly it liked a little richer mixture with the pump gas Torco fuel.

Claude Taylor
Claude Taylor
3/25/20 1:00 p.m.

Has anyone heard of adding Mothballs to the fuel. sounds weird but i was told it was an old school trick.

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 Reader
3/25/20 1:10 p.m.

As far as fuel cleaners and whatnot, the testing on BITOG says that you want to find ones that contain PEA

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/25/20 1:29 p.m.

I accidentally did a three year running experiment on fuel quality, when I bought a 2000 Tacoma with a TRD supercharger. The official line from Toyota was that the blower could be dropped on the stock engine, and run with zero modifications, and that's the way I bought it. It was a known problem, and there were people working on fixes, but I didn't have the money to modify the truck further.

Toyota subsequently admitted to the problem, and added a seventh injector to the intake with the new packages, but by then I had sold it.

The only time it would run without a high gear, low RPM ping was when it had Shell premium in the tank, and I tried them all.

I never tried any of the high value octane boosters or additives, but the stuff from the FLAPS all was pretty ineffective. I would still dump a bottle in the tank if I had to buy another brand of premium fuel, but honestly don't know if it had any effect.

I wish I would have known more about additives.

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
11/23/21 1:23 p.m.

A friend of mine had a 1275 Midget set up for F Production with 13:1 compression ratio.  The guy who built the motor did it right.  Race gas worked fine, but he insisted octane booster was enough.  We burned pistons every weekend and he ran it so rich trying to make it live, if he stalled it, it wouldn't restart.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dFNQ6hNeNO9H1fADgUvvSlaohqNOM3FqoBgnyWrwDaAgcdx1OWYGW48Fvs9nNNRt