The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
1/5/21 10:56 a.m.

Sponsored Content Presented by Sunoco Race Fuels.

Like many things in life, gasoline isn’t forever. As gas sits around, parts of it evaporate and can escape the fuel container—and we say “parts of it” because gasoline is a fairly complex substance. 

Gasoline is made up of aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons—let’s call them open chains and closed rings. The light …

Read the rest of the story

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
1/5/21 3:11 p.m.

I thought that I was taking fairly good care of my latest lawnmower.  Last year, at the end of the season, I ran as much of the gas out of the tank that I could before shoving it into the shed.

This year it sat for nearly 2 months and before shoving it in the shed I tried to start it.  That was enough for any of the flammable ingredients to evaporate. 

damarble
damarble New Reader
1/5/21 10:36 p.m.

I just fixed a car that's been sitting for 2.5 years, it started up on the old gas and ran fine. Very surprised. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
1/6/21 6:59 a.m.

Modern cars have the fuel systems sealed up pretty tightly, so gas lasts a lot longer than it does in a more open environment (like most small engine tanks).  That said, with stabilizer added right at purchase, I've never had any equipment fail to run perfectly on year-old gas. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/6/21 11:18 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

I've got 5 gallons of VP12 that's probably 25 years old. Sealed can never opened. But what to do with it? Is it hazardous waste? Can I blend a little ( quart) at a time and burn it in my daily driver? Suggestions please. 

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
1/6/21 12:18 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Bonfire from hell

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
1/6/21 12:25 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to rslifkin :

I've got 5 gallons of VP12 that's probably 25 years old. Sealed can never opened. But what to do with it? Is it hazardous waste? Can I blend a little ( quart) at a time and burn it in my daily driver? Suggestions please. 

Open it up.  If it still smells and looks like it's supposed to, I'd blend small amounts into gas to use.  However, if it's leaded, don't burn it in anything that has O2 sensors or cats, as you'll destroy them pretty quickly. 

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/7/21 1:37 a.m.

Since ive picked up, parted and scrapped out sooo many long-dormant cars I've learned a lot about old fuel. I think one of the most formative moments was when i had a scrapper come pick up a car and he pulled the gas tank right then and there and dumped the whole stinky thing into his tow truck's fuel tank. 

Mostly what I've learned is that almost all 'bad' gas is 'blendable' with good gas and the only trick is not going too far! I've still honestly had more problems with water accumulation in fuel than with 'non water-y' fuel causing issues. 

Main disclaimer: I never run any old fuel in any boosted engine ever and whenever i start messing with one of my dormant turbo cars again i immediately pump out the old gas and refill with new. 

What's kinda funny is that this whole thing about figuring out what you can get away with dumping old gas into running cars was sort of by necessity because it seemed like the least harmful way to dispose of it! 

I thought it turned into parts cleaner and fire starter. 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/17/21 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Vigo (Forum Supporter) :

I recently drained about ten gallons from an F-250 that had been sitting for almost five years and another five gallons from an Audi TT that had been dormant for at least a year. Both had a very orange color from varnish and some rust. I won't put it in a car, but after filtering it, it burns just fine in my riding mower mixed with a little of the fresh stuff. I'm mowing neighbor's yards now just to dispose of the stuff. ...I need an empty can for the 924.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W5HTRZbbnsr8TaQBqozH2k3ZYGauE3Rr3ffjRzQFOrT4iZbR4TTJHDALZdoYEXa8