1 2 3
morello159
morello159 New Reader
3/25/19 10:48 a.m.

They're running a Bosch ECU as well, vs. the GEMS on the ND1 spec cars. Rumor around the pits was that you could put the stock Mazda ECU back in an ND1 car and pick up about 10hp... 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/19 10:53 a.m.

Good tidbit. So the ND1 cars may be slightly handicapped in the ND1/ND2 race comparisons.

Do not underestimate the sophistication of stock ECU processing power and programming!

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/17/23 10:51 a.m.

Shortly after this was printed, my order went in for this car: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/how-optimize-nd-chassis-mazda-mx-5-comfort-street-/

On delivery, it was the very first Arctic white BBS/Brembo/Recaro Club model in the US.

Keith Tanner
8/17/23 5:32 p.m.

This is not an article that should have been revisited due to the FUD that came out of a poorly understood dyno test. It was not one of GRM's high points.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/17/23 5:56 p.m.

I've been contemplating buying a new ND or ND-RF. Mazda marketing needs a swift kick in the butt for their lack of colour choices and the silly forcing of leather interior for some colours. I've driven three so far, an ND Sport, an ND-RF GT, and an ND-RF Club with the Recaros and Brembo brakes. All are really nice, but give me some colour choices for $30-40K guys.

Keith Tanner
8/17/23 5:59 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

No argument there. I'm gonna go with black so it can just be mean looking, but if there was a strong blue I'd be swayed. The red is excellent but it's the only notable color in the lineup. Every year they introduce a new color that's even more boring than the others.

My trim of choice is the GT, I THINK it got updated with the GT-S specs (LSD and Bilsteins that I'd remove anyhow).

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/17/23 7:50 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I like the red, but most of the NDs in our local club are red. I saw an RF in the available blue yesterday. It's very dark, almost black. A dark colour, combined with all black interior and I'll be driving an expensive Easy-Bake oven. My old NB was silver with the tan interior and didn't get nearly as hot as my previous NB with black cloth. I'll have to look and see what interior options are available for a white ND-RF.

Keith Tanner
8/17/23 9:51 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

There are a couple of blues. Eternal is okay - that's the color of the old FM development car. But it's not a joyful sports car color like you'd find on an Elise. 

The RF in white is nice, the light windshield frame sets it apart from other NDs. See if you can see them with both a black and a white roof, it has a surprising effect on the look. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/18/23 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

All manual GT's since 2020 have LSD and Bilsteins AFAIK. I think the only way to get an open diff ND2 is a base Sport trim, which they seemed to never build, or an automatic GT trim.

Wasn't aware of the ND2 redline controversy until now. I can say with certainty I have never had a problem reaching an indicated 7500 RPM whenever I want to, track or street. There are a few places at my local track where I absolutely need those extra RPM in 3rd, and those revs are always eager and willing.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RoSpKlPB61dMmRVcKdnPBEZEc2KFhvuzRguKycotofg6OATCcqrXmxBgXAlgrERW