logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/21/18 3:00 p.m.

Has there ever been a full size van compete at the challenge?  I did some searching and found discussion about if they would be legal or not per autocross rules but nothing confirming entry.  Asking for a friend...

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
9/21/18 3:14 p.m.

There was discussion about height to width ratio limits when the minivan class was active. So I think you have to adhere to those standards

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/21/18 3:37 p.m.

I had to run this with 2" spacers on each wheel and a shorter tire to keep the width (track) wider than the height.  

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/21/18 3:39 p.m.

Chop 'n drop a Chevy Express

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/21/18 4:15 p.m.

I had to add wheel spacer, wheel width, wheel offset, and a lot of lowering to my $2016 Caravan to fit the rules. 

I do have a lowered, spaced out full size van but i've never measured to see if it would fit within the rules. I suspect it would need wider wheels and some serious wheel flares...

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/21/18 5:52 p.m.

the orange line is the same length both ways. It looks like you're good with this one.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
9/21/18 6:29 p.m.

I've recently been dreaming about one as a Lemons build. I've been thinking Chevy Van for a few reasons. The stock front suspension shares enough with G body that there should be some performance options availabe. The wheelbase and track width would make it a fun hat car for a W124 Mercedes. How would I theme it though?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/21/18 6:48 p.m.

If you are enjoying these images posted so far be sure to see this one that trumps them all

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/22/18 12:28 a.m.
John Welsh said:

If you are enjoying these images posted so far be sure to see this one that trumps them all

Understatement of the year

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
9/26/18 9:11 p.m.
Vigo said:

I do have a lowered, spaced out full size van

More info on the van please?! Build thread?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/27/18 12:44 p.m.

Or you could take this approach:

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/27/18 2:22 p.m.

RULES is RULES.

Smoke 'em

if ya got 'em.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/28/18 5:10 a.m.
Robbie said:
John Welsh said:

Understatement of the year

Thanks guys. It was fun competing in the Soccer Mom Class. Here's hoping the van does well this year.

As far as the original question, according to the rules: "Cars that do not meet the SCCA’s Static Stability Factor will not be allowed to run." AKA, the average track width must be equal to or larger than the maximum height of the vehicle (including roof racks and wings).

...edited for clarity...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/18 7:34 a.m.

Is that directly from the rules(ie the parentheses?) because that’s not the definition of track width.  That wording would imply that one cannot change track width just by going to a wheel with a different offset.  

This is the definition:

“The axle track in automobiles and other wheeled vehicles which have two or more wheels on an axle, is the distance between the centerline of two roadwheels on the same axle”

I’m already fighting track width issues on the Wartburg, It may well be easier to get a fullsize van to work.  

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/28/18 8:01 a.m.

No, the parentheses were me trying to explain track width in basic terms. You are correct that you can increase track width by adding wheel spacers while keeping the same wheels and/or by changing to wheels with more backspacing thus moving the centerlines of tires further apart.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8rvsDJV1t5Xs3khyXtdMXsnSdVlO48MtknzmEVbhmiAO0n1cPD6ESUNReOaARzGm