1 2 3
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
6/10/13 5:38 p.m.

Let me start by saying:

Miata is not the answer here.

After I get settled into my new place, I would like to get the wife a convertible to putz around in during the nicer months and hibernate during the winter. I've been wanting to do this for several years. It HAS to be automatic. I would like something a little bit more upscale without breaking the bank both up front and long term.

I have been throwing around the idea of an E36 convertible. It seems to be hitting all the buttons and I can also enjoy it as well even though its an auto.

Any other options out there?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/13 5:40 p.m.

Mini?
Saab 9-3
VW Eros

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
6/10/13 5:45 p.m.

Nissan 240sx convertible of '93 and '94 came only with auto.

Any year Celica is also a great choice.

Maybe not high enough on the "upscale" but both reliable. A high mile model bought right would likely not see enough miles to much (if any maint.)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/13 5:51 p.m.

It may not be a whole lot of fun, but a used Solara is probably the safest bet as a worry free ride for the wife.

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
6/10/13 6:00 p.m.

If miata isnt the answer, MX5 must be. Its like an upscale miata.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
6/10/13 6:01 p.m.

When i think of slow fun, I think of convertible muscle cars.

Even an LS1 Convertible or Mustang would still be a lot of fun with an automatic.

An LS1 Camaro might get 28mpg highway, so not quite as good as a Miata, but a Miata can't do brake torques like an LS1 Camaro.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
6/10/13 6:12 p.m.

Solara and the cheaper but nicer Volvo C70 vert come to mind.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/10/13 6:20 p.m.

5.0 Fox convertibles are practically free.

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
6/10/13 6:21 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: 5.0 Fox convertibles are practically free.

They also look super trashy.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/13 6:21 p.m.

I forgot about the mustang. That would be fun vert

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/10/13 6:24 p.m.
Leafy wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: 5.0 Fox convertibles are practically free.
They also look super trashy.

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/10/13 6:28 p.m.

The 9-3 turbo convertible is fun with an automatic, and it was nice inside. Back seat and back window are not huge, but it was a very drivable car. Only ish now is the death of SAAB and subsequent availability issues.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/10/13 7:59 p.m.

Really need more info about budget and what the wife likes.

We had a MINI convertible (base Cooper) and while it was a 5spd, it was tons of fun to tool around in, the top is watertight, and it could haul a surprising amount of stuff. I really miss that car. If looking at automatics, get either an S or a newer version ('09 to current) that doesn't have the CVT trans.

The main thing about an E36 vert would be holding out for a one owner car that was loved and well maintained.

Oh yeah... Older 911 Targa? Although I know nothing about the auto versions.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
6/10/13 8:07 p.m.

Mercedes SLK

I've owned one (1st gen) and driven many others.

Fun cruiser convertible. Best 'vert cruiser I've ever driven in terms of drop top fun while not getting overly beat up by wind and still being able to carry on a conversation. Get one with the V6 as the 2.3L supercharged engine is noisy and not very enthusiastic. Handling is pretty nice - comfortable but still sporty. Depreciation is your friend on these cars and they are actually pretty easy to work on and reliable in my experience.

Pretty good enthusiast community on the MB forums on this car too.

The trunk is actually pretty big and can fit some decent luggage for weekend trips.

The Mini convertible just plain sucks. The wind kicks you around in all sorts of odd ways. She'll always be complaining about her hair and stuff and will never want the top down. There is also massive cowl shake. I own a Mini fyi.

Solara? Really? That thing is just fugly and boring.

Saab vert... meh. Kinda nice car but...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
6/10/13 8:10 p.m.

Does Mercedes SLK = Chrysler Crossfire?

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/10/13 8:16 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7:

Yes, the wind in a MINI can be annoying if you didn't get the deflector. With it, however, and its more pleasant with the top down on the hwy than a hardtop with the god damn sunroof open. (We had BOTH). No clue what you mean about cowl shake. It was no more rattle-prone than a normal MINI and the chassis is still very stiff - could jack up the side of the car by the front jack point and still open/close the doors. I've experienced fixed roof cars that couldn't do that.

I wouldn't touch a late model SLK with a 20 mile pole... that's insanity. We've had "learn me" threads about those in the past.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
6/10/13 9:28 p.m.

My brief experiences with early SLKs as a tech were all fairly bad.

Also, whoever recommended the EOS, i disagree. I personally dont think they are entertaining to drive, i've seen them with issues and clunky 'something's not right' auto shifting at very low miles, the top mechanisms literally made me fearful (as a professional auto tech), and they're overpriced and hideously ugly.

In this thread i like the Mini, Celica, Solara, and the c70 to a lesser extent. Saab would be somewhere below that and if your wife likes to shoot you could get her a Fox Mustang for target practice.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
6/10/13 9:41 p.m.

SN95 convertible owner here. Avoid the V6, with an auto they're a dog, although I think they're decently reliable. I wish I had gone with a later car with the PI-4.6 because troubleshooting an OBD-1 car at this point isn't all that awesome. Or just get used to seeing the CEL. They're also floppy and I really really should be putting subframe connectors in mine yesterday but other costs seem to get in the way.

Honestly, unless she really wants RWD and all that, get a Saab or Solara.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
6/10/13 10:24 p.m.

The budget would be around $5k. So it's definitely going to be older.

No Mustangs or Camaros, my wife doesn't like them.

I checked out the SLK, the few that are near me are over my budget.

I don't think she's going to care about what wheel drive it is, but since I am getting it for her, it's going to be RWD.

Even thought the Saab is FWD, I wouldn't mind them. I found this one, but of course it's a dealer, so there isn't much to go on:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3861192183.html

I found this 323i, If I had the money right now, I'd go check it out.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/3823998896.html

toconn
toconn New Reader
6/10/13 10:38 p.m.

How about an older BMW Z3?

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
6/10/13 10:41 p.m.

What is a Mercedes SL380 or other engines variant going for these days? Certainly has the appearance of being upscale, and they are great on the highway, while not being aweful in town.

sanman
sanman Reader
6/10/13 10:55 p.m.

Well, it is not so much classy as class defying, but I am shocked no one has said wrangler yet.

Edit: Also a c4 corvette

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
6/10/13 10:56 p.m.

BMW 3xx would be the only car I'd consider then if it has to be RWD, but it sounds like test driving a Saab would still be wise.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/11/13 12:11 a.m.

Geo Metro convertible.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/11/13 12:22 a.m.

Another vote for Solara...a good woman's car, reliable, V6 available, classy.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6kHGHKbakiDeRiFEI3HxbQNGzIxzrWbLjUseVYu5ItZiMned2BVXuhZ9Z8hhRlAc