1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/15 12:08 a.m.

It's called the Ram 1500 for some reason. Seriously! The V6 Ram 1500 is, like the RX-7, front mid-engine as the engine sits behind the front axle centerline. Unlike the RX-7, it is the entire engine, including the accessory drive.

Notice the aluminum steering rack? It's a rear steer rack and pinion! The front LCA's are aluminum as well, and it's an SLA suspension ala 4th gen F-Body, not MacStruts. Oh, and the rear is a 4-link with a panhard rod. 13.2" front/13.8" rear disc brakes with 4-channel ABS. Front and rear sway bars. 8-speed shiftable auto (PDK ).

I did a little messing around, and you can build a regular cab, short box, 2WD Ram 1500 with the 305HP/269TQ 3.6L V6/8-Speed Auto with a 3.55 posi for $28,215. You could then buy a BellTech 3/4 drop, 18x10 wheels, and some A7 Ho-Hos and go destroy the AX...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
10/15/15 12:20 a.m.

How much does this sports car weigh? I hear Ford builds a competing model with an alloy body, and turbos.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/15/15 5:45 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: How much does this sports car weigh? I hear Ford builds a competing model with an alloy body, and turbos.

Good question and I had a hard time finding an answer... the best I could figure is the 6600 GVWR - the 1898 payload capacity = 4702 lbs.

I think you'd go through a lot of Ho Ho's...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/15 5:55 a.m.
Javelin wrote: It's called the Ram 1500 for some reason. Seriously! The V6 Ram 1500 is, like the RX-7, front mid-engine as the engine sits behind the front axle centerline.

"Front mid engine", a marketing term passed off as an engineering term.

One thing the RAM has that the RX-7 doesn't is road hugging weight. That means it handles EVEN BETTER!

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
10/15/15 6:15 a.m.

I get what you're saying, but I assume there is a typo toward the end. Then again I have no idea what destroying an Ax with 87 Ho-hos has to do with a v6 Ram.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UltraDork
10/15/15 6:42 a.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

I'd probably hurl if I destroyed 87 Ho-Hos.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/15/15 7:09 a.m.
RealMiniParker wrote: In reply to moparman76_69: I'd probably hurl if I destroyed 87 Ho-Hos.

I might after getting the credit card bill...

moparman76_69 wrote: I get what you're saying, but I assume there is a typo toward the end. Then again I have no idea what destroying an Ax with 87 Ho-hos has to do with a v6 Ram.

Not a typo. "Ho Ho" = slang for "Hoosier Tires." "A7" = the current Hoosier R-Comp autocross tire.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
10/15/15 7:21 a.m.

As someone that has the more smaller, albeit 4 door, Mopar sports car with the 3.6 and 8 speed AWD(Grand Cherokee), the engine/trans combo is quite good. Of course you need to turn off the "Eco" button or throw it into Sport Mode. Grab some paddles and watch some RPMs fly!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/15 7:30 a.m.

A shiftable auto may be sporty but it's nothing like a PDK - that's a dual-clutch robotized manual.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
10/15/15 7:57 a.m.

You could make quite an interesting Locost out of that.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
10/15/15 8:06 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

My sarcasm was not duly noted apparently.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/15 8:18 a.m.

You would not hit any cones though...................................................................you would RAM them.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
10/15/15 8:43 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I think you'd go through a lot of Ho Ho's...

I thought they were "hoo hoo's"

Storz
Storz Dork
10/15/15 8:46 a.m.

I have an affinity for sports trucks, this is hot

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
10/15/15 9:06 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: You would not hit any cones though...................................................................you would RAM them.

Ram owners only Ram each other in the rear....

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
10/15/15 9:19 a.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: You would not hit any cones though...................................................................you would RAM them.

Pretty Dodge-y joke.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/15/15 10:00 a.m.

I see a truck around town that has a huge decal across the top of the windshield that says "Don't RAM it, STROKE it!"

I am amazed every time I see it. It also is a dually with one of those giant wings on the roof that might be useful if one was pulling a 5th wheel, but this particular truck never seems to be towing or hauling anything other than the imbecile driver.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
10/15/15 10:01 a.m.

So I'm picturing dunking my Ho-Ho's in Yoo-Hoo... While autocrossing a huge pickup truck.

Pretty sure I saw someone do that on the expressway this morning... While texting.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
10/15/15 10:36 a.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote:

Not only in the rear, but in the RAM BOX!

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
10/15/15 10:39 a.m.

In reply to snailmont5oh:

Is that what they call the anus now?

mapper
mapper Reader
10/15/15 10:49 a.m.
Javelin wrote: It's called the Ram 1500 for some reason. Seriously! The V6 Ram 1500 is, like the RX-7, front mid-engine as the engine sits behind the front axle centerline. Unlike the RX-7, it is the *entire* engine, including the accessory drive. Notice the aluminum steering rack? It's a rear steer rack and pinion! The front LCA's are aluminum as well, and it's an SLA suspension ala 4th gen F-Body, not MacStruts. Oh, and the rear is a 4-link with a panhard rod. 13.2" front/13.8" rear disc brakes with 4-channel ABS. Front and rear sway bars. 8-speed shiftable auto (PDK ). I did a little messing around, and you can build a regular cab, short box, 2WD Ram 1500 with the 305HP/269TQ 3.6L V6/8-Speed Auto with a 3.55 posi for $28,215. You could then buy a BellTech 3/4 drop, 18x10 wheels, and some A7 Ho-Hos and go destroy the AX...

I traded my 2004 1500 4x4 in for a leftover 2014 a few months ago. It's a Tradesman with a few extras like carpet and cloth seats but not much else. $21,xxx out the door. With a majority of my driving being on the Atlanta interstates, I can keep it in the 24-25 mpg range which beats the 14 average of the 2004 with a 5.7. So I get a daily that can still tow my open trailer and Miata about as easy as the old 5.7 did. The eight speed transmission really helps with the mileage and towing.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/15/15 11:14 a.m.

I have one of these as a daily driver/work truck given to me by the company I work for. It's incredibly quick with the v6, very refined, and tows my car and boat easily. I love this truck.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UltraDork
10/15/15 11:16 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: In reply to Ian F: My sarcasm was not duly noted apparently.

Neither was my joke.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
10/15/15 11:19 a.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote:

I can't search for it at work,

But I'm sure minimal google-foo is required to find the Lee Iacocca "Ram Van" clip from SNL.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
10/15/15 11:24 a.m.

http://youtu.be/adWJBdEPPOM

It sounds dirty to me!

[Dodge announcer guy voice] I had something for my girlfriend. I didn't want it to get wet. I took it to her in the RAM BOX. [/Dodge announcer guy voice]

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
apkKRo4olJIswR8UkDFTN44PMqYJ1bjq6vQx3hkEDdEUfHSOpynBw81ggPLdyxvi