1 2
Stuc
Stuc Reader
6/5/08 7:53 a.m.

Yep... I personally love to use my hatchback to surprise the hell out of people.

My personal favorite was the vertical washer/dryer combo into my Accent

Sorry for the phone pics

Loading her up: Photobucket

Hatch almost completely closed! Tied down with some extra wire I luckily had back there Photobucket

Safe and sound at my house! ($50, Craigslist kicks ass) Photobucket

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
6/5/08 9:40 a.m.

Oh, I almost forgot about this one. Four engines in my Passat for a 750 mile trip. The heads to the short blocks are in the truck, along with a ton of other stuff. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer New Reader
6/5/08 9:54 a.m.
amaff

Holy jousting Mazda 5!!!!

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/5/08 10:35 a.m.

I hauled ten, 20 pound sacks of lime in my 1960 TR3 a few years back. No problem, although the suspensions was down a bit more than usual.

The best sleeper hauler I've owned was my 1988 Saab 9000. Fold down the rear seats, remove the rear deck that doubled awesomely as a baby changing table and throw in one twin mattress and one twin box spring in, then close the hatch completely with no muss and no fuss.

Move again. . .throw in two twin matresses, two twin box springs, but could not quite get the hatch closed. Oh well.

Whole sheets of plywood or gyp board would slide into the hatch. In an area above the rear wheel wells, the swedes found a way to make the hatch over four feet wide, so we americans could carry 4x8 sheets inside the car. No, the hatch would not close all the way, but this is a 30 mpg, in 1988, 5-door sedan, not a wagon.

Jack

Brust
Brust New Reader
6/5/08 5:18 p.m.

If you guys wouldn't call me gay, I'd tell you that I regularly went shopping for the whole family in my MG midget. 2 weeks of groceries in about 12 sacks stuff all around the joint- tight, but top down, no problem. Didn't even touch the trunk.

We sold the truck 5 years ago and got a WRX wagon and an HF utility trailer. Now I'm up to being able to do 99%++ of what most trucks are capable of. I moved my entire household across town this way two years ago.

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
6/6/08 1:18 p.m.

My local painter was famous for use of a black Rabbit GTi rather than the normal work van. He'd transport 4 20' ladders on the roofrack, and with the backseat removed, there was plenty of room for power tools and nearly 30 gallons of single-gallon paint cans.

My record was cramming 18 50lb. bags of mulch and a few 2x4s into my '98 Tercel coupe, along with myself and a passenger, all doors closed. Suspension travel was nonexistent.:)

My brother and I regularly used to stuff his '93 SE-R with his DJ coffin, lighting, and crates of vinyl. We found the limit when trying to cram in some large rented PAs on top of all that... we broke the windshield. An Impreza 2.5TS was on the menu just weeks later.:)

Josh
Josh Reader
6/6/08 1:47 p.m.

Heh, I broke the windshield in my '91 SE-R trying to bring home a 30" tube TV in the front passenger seat. If I had the forethought to just remove the seat before I left, I'm sure I would have been fine.

Incidentally, pulling the seat is a great way to get more stuff in the Miata, I pulled it so I could bring my air compressor to a friend's house to install its new suspension bushings just last weekend :).

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/08 3:09 p.m.

Things I've done with the AE92:

• Stuffed 3 CRT monitors into the trunk (took some careful placement to get the trunk closed though)

• Had the trunk filled and the rear seats and passenger seat (and floor area) full up to the window level when going to a beach house for a vacation

• Transported every part I ever bought for it prior to buying the Samurai. Engine heads, tires, everything.

It's also notable that I stuffed a shopping cart into the back of the Samurai. It was a tight fit, the rear seats were out and I needed to slide the passenger seat forward.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
6/6/08 3:34 p.m.

My Geo has seen:

2- 6' ladders sticking out the hatch 2- 24' aluminum ladders on the roof (no roof racks) 6- 80 lb bags of concrete in the trunk 12- 10' 2x6's sticking out the hatch 4- 10' sheets of metal roofing 2' wide (on the dash, out the back hatch, passenger seat reclined)

Ummm... not all at once.

My first worktruck was a VW bug. I removed all the seats. My tool box rode shotgun. It was fun to balance plywood on the roof of THAT thing!

MitchellC
MitchellC New Reader
6/7/08 1:09 a.m.

During this year's Rolex 24, I folded the seats down, and slept in the back of my Focus for the two nights. Osterkraut can vouch.

I also used it to pick up my motorcycle (a rolling chassis and a few boxes of parts at this point, but still). I surprised the PO, that's for sure.

I also easily hauled my fully-assembled desk that I am using right now, and its matching chair.

Eldukerino
Eldukerino New Reader
6/10/08 9:50 p.m.

The last time I moved, I had 3 bicycles, 2 snowboards, and like 5 or 6 of those big tupperware plastic boxes full of cloths in my 2 door Datsun 510. And it was all IN the car, nothing on the roof. And the car has a roll bar which makes the back seat area pretty hard to get stuff in.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/11/08 7:26 a.m.

One of my engineering coops moved a twin bed, mattress and all in a Civic DX hatch.

jpaturzo
jpaturzo
6/11/08 2:06 p.m.

I'm new here, but I feel the need to share: My 2007 Fit: Both my 15 inch PA speakers fit in the trunk without having to fold the rear seat down. Not to mention I can fit the stands behind them. Leaving room for rear seat passengers, or a ton more crap. (Usually the latter: power amp, keyboard stand, huge keyboard, laptop case, my small coffin full of pedals and rum machines)

My buddies 2005 GTI (full of my crap): 1 Suzuki GSX-R 600cc bike engine

1 Honda CB-1 400cc bike engine

4 13x7 Keizer wheels with goodyear rain rubber mounted

2 corners worth of suspension for a small racecar

2 big fat guys with room for one more in the back.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vBVwCrgPmXNv1vOrcDzgJa5QkHb8uNqKosdD1WaxOqqcGnvoWWkbLcOQjhiLjM26