1 2
Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/24/13 1:58 p.m.

So, a ways back there was a 'I will own...' list thread where everyone listed the cars that they want/plan to own at some point. My own list was pretty short, largely consisting of the cars I'd drooled over as a teenager but don't either already own (the D) or had pass through my hands (the Fiero). I've had a relatively small number of cars over my lifetime:

• 2 Chevy Berettas (1988 & early 90's GTZ)
  • 2000 Saturn SL2
  • 1990? Toyota Corolla
  • 1986 Fiero (w/Caddy 500ci V8)
  • 1979 El Camino
  • 1988 FC3C RX-7 Convertible
  • 1983 DMC-12 DeLorean
  • I'm also counting my GF-STBF's car: 2008 Mercury Mariner

The point of this thread is this: Given the list I have of cars that I intent to try and get/own that's below, what is missing that (in your opinion, as obviously all of this will be purely opinion) I HAVE to own and drive at least for a short while? I'd prefer the suggestions be at least reasonable- the Ferrari(s) already on the list pretty much are 'pie in the sky'/I'm never going to have the funds for this unless I win the lotto entries, but as I'd be hoping to find ones that need some fixing up anyway, don't let that hold you back too much.

The current list:

• AW11 MR2
  • Datsun 200SX (80's, hatchback ideally)
  • Ferrari Testarossa or 308GTS
  • Corvair Convertible
  • Porsche of some stripe- Ideally a 911 or Boxster, but I'm a kid of the 80's and have a weakness for 924s, 928s, and 944s too

What else needs to be on the list?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/24/13 2:08 p.m.

C5 Z06 seems like a nice affordable addition to the list. First serious modern Corvette. Very reasonably priced now and you can still find ones that have been taken care of.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
10/24/13 2:13 p.m.

The pbviouse ones that are missing are:
An Alfa, any Alfa
V8 Mustang. Any year will do except the Mustang II years
NA Miata
A lotus, any lotus (not allowed to count the Miata here)

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/24/13 2:18 p.m.

You need that '54 dodge I listed in the $2013 forum to tow it all around with.....thats what you need

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
10/24/13 2:19 p.m.

A turbo dodge. Pretty much any one will do, but get a caravan or wagon for maximum sleeper effect.

Ashyukun
10/24/13 2:20 p.m.

Good suggestions. Kind of kicking myself for leaving the Miata off the list in the first place. Should also have added an 80's Camaro/Firebird to the list- GF/STBF's first car (for all of a week until her parents decided it was too dangerous...) was a T-top 3rd Gen F-body, and I'd love at some point to get her a very similar one as a counterpoint to her fairly boring Mariner.

Ashyukun
10/24/13 2:25 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: A turbo dodge. Pretty much any one will do, but get a caravan or wagon for maximum sleeper effect.

If I'm going to get a turbo dodge, it's going to be a Rampage to go along with my El Camino.

The Saturn, DeLorean, (oops, realized I left that off the list of already/currently owned...), and Elky that I currently own are likely going to be the base 'stable' of cars with others bought and sold over the years. I miss having a 'vert after selling the RX-7 one, so when I get the Corvari 'vert it will likely be sticking around for the long run as well.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
10/24/13 2:54 p.m.

-Exocet
-FD RX-7
-Any Porsche 911 or Cayman
-Any depreciated Ferrari
-Cobra Replica
-Club-eligible race car: Spec Miata, etc.
-Vintage-eligible race car: Bugeye Sprite, etc.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
10/24/13 2:56 p.m.

A blue and red 1998 Dodge Neon.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/24/13 2:57 p.m.

A 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata in Titanium Grey.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/24/13 2:58 p.m.

A classic Mini in red with a white roof.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/24/13 2:59 p.m.

A Triumph.
A Jag.

gofastbobby
gofastbobby New Reader
10/24/13 3:01 p.m.

I've found throughout the last few years, my list of "want" cars has gotten much shorter. Currently there's only three or four on the list.

A sweet diesel conversion van. Golden Eagle Jeep TJ. Vintage 911(they seem to have skyrocketed in price the last couple years) or a newer 911 if I can't swing a BA old school one.

Something tells me my Porsche desire will come and go quickly after I own one.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
10/24/13 3:12 p.m.

Saab C900. Preferably '86-'93 Turbo (or '94 convertible).

Ashyukun
10/25/13 8:24 a.m.
eastsidemav wrote: A blue and red 1998 Dodge Neon.

This was the first one that made me laugh out loud. Is it really being THAT much of a pain?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/25/13 8:28 a.m.

For me?

A 911

A LBC of some sort

Something Italian (probably an Alfa)

A Corvette

Something with AWD and a turbo

slefain
slefain UltraDork
10/25/13 8:36 a.m.

Something quirky with no hopes of finding parts. I had a Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel.

A ridiculously lifted truck. I had '73 Ford on 44" tires with a 14" recurved leaf spring lift. Think less "bro-dozer" and more "Missouri mud truck" style.

An American land yacht from the 60s or 70s. Something with a big block and ten feet of hood.

Something with a Slant-6.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
10/25/13 8:40 a.m.
slefain wrote: A ridiculously lifted truck. I had '73 Ford on 44" tires with a 14" recurved leaf spring lift. Think less "bro-dozer" and more "Missouri mud truck" style. An American land yacht from the 60s or 70s. Something with a big block and ten feet of hood. Something with a Slant-6.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD! (Great suggestions!)

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
10/25/13 8:41 a.m.

Mine would be: NB miata First gen mr2, still mad I didn't buy a Really nice clean one for $2000, problly never find another one that nice local Some kind of newer mustang even just a v6 240z Mk1 rabbit

Ashyukun
10/25/13 8:42 a.m.

Lots of good suggestions overall- some are ones that I'll likely keep in mind fairly seriously (would like a Vette at some point, and figure a Mustang should also be on the list), whereas some I'm less inclined towards. Most notably the FD RX-7- I've just never really liked these cars... to me, SA/FB/FC RX-7s are what an RX-7 should be, and I rather like the RX-8s (though I'm more inclined to steal a wrecked one's engine for something else, like the D...)- but the FDs have always left me fairly cold despite how much more many people like them than the older models.

Though eastsidemav has warned me off several already, I'd probably add a classic Scirocco- they're another car I lusted after as a teenager lying on the living room floor scouring through the automotive classified section of the paper (yeah, I'm old :P). Do like the new ones too, but since we can't get them here anyway... shrugs

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
10/25/13 8:49 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: For me? A 911

I have been blessed with some cool cars that I've owned.

But that is one that still is in the back of my head.

From the basic 911T up to the cool retromods, they are still appealing for some reason to me.

I guess it's time to suck up to my cousin. Maybe she's ready to part with her '89 911. that was a fun car to drive.

Not that it matters, but FWIW, what I think would be fun is to make as late as possible air cooled 911 have the look of the early Carraras- the ones with the small duck billed spoiler. I'm not a whale tail fan. A narrow body with the simple spoiler. That would be cool.

The only other car might be a Lotus 7, but it's more 'not' than 'is'.

Nothing else to add but that tangent.

Ashyukun
10/25/13 9:03 a.m.

Another to add to the list if I come across the right one, though this purely for the humor factor: a blue & white Type 2 VW Bus with sunroof for the GF/STBF to follow me to cars shows when I take the DeLorean.

Though it would almost be more fun to find one with a completely trashed frame but decent body and cut and re-weld it to make a small box trailer to tow behind it...

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
10/25/13 11:39 a.m.

I really ought to build the cool stuff i already have before i go buying anything else, but my plans for things i intend to own currently include a Maserati TC (yep), a Boxster, and a Ferrari Mondial.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/25/13 12:00 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I really ought to build the cool stuff i already have before i go buying anything else, but my plans for things i intend to own currently include a Maserati TC (yep), a Boxster, and a Ferrari Mondial.

You really hate yourself don't you?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
10/25/13 12:22 p.m.
Ashyukun wrote:
eastsidemav wrote: A blue and red 1998 Dodge Neon.
This was the first one that made me laugh out loud. Is it really being THAT much of a pain?

Right now it is. I really need to go order a new axle, no one in town stocks them with the ABS ring.

As for Sciroccos, I'd say they are okay, as long as you can be sure its rust-free, and I wouldn't even trust Lexington as a source for one in good enough shape. Maybe a trip to Atlanta.

I'd suggest looking towards genres you haven't covered yet, rather than being too specific about which car. You've had two middle/heavy sports cars, so maybe something lighter would be neat, like the aformentioned Miata, or an MR-S, or an FB, etc.

I still want a luxobarge someday (my Crown Vic and Grand Marquis don't count, they were both pretty much no option cars).

I guess its just a matter of looking at what your life situation is, and what "fun" car could fit with it now. I suspect you're never selling the Delorean, so I'm not sure you'd be happy with a Ferrari 308 at the same time, but something with more power might be good. I'd suggest looking at a musclecar at some point, but the El Camino kind of fits there.

We should still look into building a three wheeler...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vTEeNDGCqr6cYHg3wYvvDH6OaYXmt7DxYfblv7IqkWrbkG7H6XOeRvejvwVaLFyY