1 2 3 4
Luke
Luke Dork
11/17/08 1:34 a.m.

Definitely the Evo, and especially the limited edition variants. How about the WRX? Early ones can be had for peanuts nowadays, while early Evo's seem to have maintained their value much better.

Another is the current BMW M3. I think it will achieve 'cult status' akin to that reserved for the E30 M3.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
11/17/08 9:51 a.m.
MitchellC wrote: Or, as lame as it is, the Mugen Civic. Or how about the Evo RS and MR? The RS is as close to the stripper performance model of the late '60's that we've seen in the last decade, and the MR of course has the flash. Edit: And as I think about it, the Evo RS is probably what I should choose when someone asks "If you could have one car..." Subdued exterior, powerful, bare bones interior, four doors. Get it in white and it's truly a wolf in sheep's clothing. Someone buy this.

Is there a way to get rid of that intake on the hood? Its not like there is an intercooler under there. I like it a lot without that goofy wing on the back. That would be a good sleeper.

I think the thing with values will be low production numbers. How many COPO cars were there? It appears there were only 323, according to one site I found. I think that's what leads to value down the road.

Joey

iceracer
iceracer Reader
11/17/08 10:39 a.m.

Gee, maybe my 2000 ZX2/SR will be valuable. Only 2000 were built and only 500 were red,which mine is.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
11/17/08 11:06 a.m.

I'm never going to be interested in big-buck supercars, but on my list of cult vehicles that I would like to own (but will more likely clone*) are:

Impala SS 1st Generation Lightning Buick Grand National or one of its T-type variants

Clem

• By clone, I don't mean replicate for fraudulent value purposes...nor to I mean placing badging that doesn't belong. I mean replicate the performance features of the cult-model on a base model...
seann
seann Reader
11/17/08 11:11 a.m.

For my generation, it will definitely be the integra type R. When I was in highschool even the kids that didn't care about motor sports knew that car was hot. Of course I didn't like for that same reason but what ever.

I thought the subie 2.5 RS was the E36 M3 back then but it quickly was eclipsed by the wrx and sti. Perhaps the celica all track and 323 GTX are on the list, I know all the rally homologations in Europe are.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/17/08 11:20 a.m.

1989 Trans Am turbo

alex
alex Reader
11/17/08 11:38 a.m.

To ask a follow up question, what about the last-of-the-era Japanese turbo supercars from the mid-90s? I'm thinking the generation of the 3000GT/Stealth, Supra, FD RX-7, 300ZX may gain recognition as being the heyday of affordable Japanese sport GTs. (I know when I sold my Stealth, at least, that was the tactic I used to really push it.) These were the cars that were in the limelight during my automotive coming-of-age, and the ones I really lusted after.

Come to think of it, now's probably the time to track down the low-miles examples of all of these cars, and build a complete stable that exemplifies this era.

car39
car39 Reader
11/17/08 12:52 p.m.

It's funny because if you look at the big buck cars at the auctions now, they were almost all sales lumps: Charger Daytonas and Plymouth Superbirds sat on dealers lots for years, same thing with Shelby Mustangs and Cobras. Yenko nearly went broke with his cars. It's one of the reason's their collector items: no one bought the darn things when they were new.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
11/17/08 1:15 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I'm never going to be interested in big-buck supercars, but on my list of cult vehicles that I would like to own (but will more likely clone*) are: Impala SS 1st Generation Lightning Buick Grand National or one of its T-type variants Clem * By clone, I don't mean replicate for fraudulent value purposes...nor to I mean placing badging that doesn't belong. I mean replicate the performance features of the cult-model on a base model...

1gen lightning will be tough since it actually had a different frame that was built with thicker steel to be more rigid.

jsinnard
jsinnard New Reader
11/17/08 1:42 p.m.

6.0L GTO

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
11/17/08 1:43 p.m.
Will wrote: at SEMA I got to talk to Craig Jackson (as in Barrett-Jackson) in depth and he said the first thing he did when he got his Ford GT and Shelby GT500 was to remove the original radiator hoses, belts and tires, preserve them and order replacements for daily use.

that is the hobby area I want to stay away from.

EricM
EricM Reader
11/17/08 1:50 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: 1989 Trans Am turbo

Respect.

that and I had a New Beetle Turbo S. Um, heavy and stuff, but only 5000 made. then again, maybe not.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/17/08 3:19 p.m.

Challengers yes, not Chargers. I was excited by the Steelers whippiing up on the Chargers, sorry.

EPcivic
EPcivic New Reader
11/17/08 3:57 p.m.

I think I'd vote for some of the super rare 80's dealer option conversions like a 1983 Rabbit GTI Calloway Turbo or a Straman CRX convertable or a Griffin Celica Convertable. The base cars are getting hard to find, and these super rare almost factory option packages are just that much more rare.

The one ITR that manages to survive with matching numbers will be worth a fortune too.

-Chris

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/17/08 4:00 p.m.

One of my friends has a Callaway GTI.

I was shocked how unimpressive it was, even for the age.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
11/17/08 4:13 p.m.

Audi UR Quattro

I wonder if the NAS Defender 90 will reach that status. They have held there value well, but at the 25 year rule hits I think they may lose there value as the defender isn't all that special.

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing New Reader
11/17/08 4:46 p.m.

01 neon R/T motorsport edition- 10 made at least 1 is all but destroyed 01 neon motorsport edition- 47 made several destroyed 95 neon acr sedan in NYG- 15 made neon challenge cars Numbered shelby dodges

byron12
byron12 New Reader
11/17/08 4:50 p.m.
pete240z wrote:
Will wrote: at SEMA I got to talk to Craig Jackson (as in Barrett-Jackson) in depth and he said the first thing he did when he got his Ford GT and Shelby GT500 was to remove the original radiator hoses, belts and tires, preserve them and order replacements for daily use.

+1 on that; the exorbantly priced televised small weiner rich jackAss auction movement has always struck me as retarded.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
11/17/08 5:35 p.m.
pete240z wrote:

Agreed - cars were meant to be driven, not treated as "investments". I want to slap every person who buys a car because they think it will go up in value. Buy it because you like it and want to drive it.

Then again, my definition of "preserving" a car just means washing, waxing, and not rallying it, lol.

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
11/17/08 5:57 p.m.
jsinnard wrote: 6.0L GTO

Yes, however I think the 04 LS1 5.7L may be one even more so...

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/17/08 6:12 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Then again, my definition of "preserving" a car just means washing, waxing, and not rallying it, lol.

EXACTLY.

Will
Will New Reader
11/17/08 6:20 p.m.

I really think anyone here who doesn't think the new Shelby GT500 will be a collector's car is smoking crack. People will pay for the Shelby name, just as they're doing now. As for performance, anyone can build a fast car, but only one brand can give you a Shelby. To some people (not me, just to be clear) that's very important.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/17/08 6:37 p.m.

the only thing with shelby's name on it that I'll pay up for is his chilli mix.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
11/17/08 6:41 p.m.
BoneYard_Racing wrote: - 47 made several destroyed 95 neon acr sedan in NYG-

That's the one I'm shooting for. Not having much luck, though......

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
11/17/08 6:51 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: the only thing with shelby's name on it that I'll pay up for is his chilli mix.

And a darn good mix it is....

I think a lot of the "current gen desirable cars" will hold value. It is hard to guess what will be "hot" in the future (I have hopes for my much abused 401K).

I would only buy what I liked - not what I thought would make me money - that would be a perk...

C5 Z06s and FRCs are getting consumed at the tracks - so they will be rare in the future...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ncuhEFDYD5YjTIQZFG4XgrJcGNmkhqFUWY2j0F4OKrWFAMilY9Fs438wElLkS9TE