kcbhiw
kcbhiw HalfDork
6/19/12 10:26 p.m.

This one is tough. I'm trying to get the ducting as close to the center of the rotor and/or caliper on the MX3 as possible. However, with the axle in the way and 15" wheels, there is very limited space. I'm using a 3" hose. Regardless of where I place it, what bracketry I mock up, etc., the flow path yields sharp angles, rubbing on the axle or crank pulley, or crushing in any number of places. Obviously, I want to avoid any contact with rotating parts. If the caliper weren't on the front of the rotor, this exercise would be much easier.

Is there any insight on an efficient way to construct a duct from the front wheel hub? Perhaps some ingenious way of directing air into the rotor with some magical super short path that grabs a bunch of air?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
6/19/12 10:31 p.m.

what about using some sort of plastic tubing, heated with an appropriate implement, and bent to the desired contours that could clear everything in the wheelwell?

personally, im going to modify a pair of C6 Z06 brake ducts for the ACR. well, thats the plan at least.....

im thinking a set of tweaked and melted and bent ABS plastic 3 inch plumbimg pipe in ypour case....

michael

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/12 10:54 p.m.

Try going smaller. 3" is a big hose. You can deliver a lot of air through a 2" hose. Lots more than no hose at all.

Miata brake duct with 2" hose. There's room for an ABS sensor (empty hole) that makes a 3" setup pretty much impossible.

I'd be worried about using plastic that can be bent with heat, because it will bend with the heat involved in brakes

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/20/12 6:12 p.m.

i wouldn't worry about trying to cool the caliper itself. cool the rotor. see keith's pic above, the duct blows on the brake plate of the rotor, not on the caliper and not exactly into the hub either. theoretically you want the air to hit the center of the rotor so it can be pumped through the vanes of the rotor, but really just getting some airflow through there, however not-theoretically-ideal, is going to help a bunch.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
6/20/12 6:45 p.m.

Have you considered trying different wheel designs? A properly designed wheel can act like a cooling fan.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
6/20/12 7:10 p.m.

any suggestions ?

jere
jere Reader
6/20/12 7:28 p.m.

If you still have the brake shields you could cut off what you don't need and weld on a piece of some exhaust pipe. Cut the center of the exhaust pipe out and clamp your ducting to that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qFGOyN9WWt12EPBWs3Frb2RCTYljjsA5ymZe1n8j6AegYDTpSge5rSuC0VLGXMGM