1 2
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/9/18 2:28 a.m.

For a daily driver and hoon-mobile in the $3,000 area.

Looks like both/either would be a 2005-6.

Obviously the G35 is a nice place to spend time but it also gives up 100hp to the Charger.

(and coming from gutted Samurais and XJ Cherokees, I don’t necessarily care to be pampered with amenities)

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
10/9/18 5:52 a.m.

G35 is just about as quick as an older HEMI Charger with the 5-speed auto

I'd just take that - you know it's got less abuse than ex-cop cars

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/9/18 5:59 a.m.

I am itching for a manual

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/9/18 6:00 a.m.

You can get the g35 in a manual if you hunt! No manual chargers. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/9/18 6:10 a.m.

Take it to the sports car realm and ask yourself would you rather have a 350Z or a Challenger, since both cars are just the 4 door versions of each.  The 350Z is more of the scalpel and the Challenger is the hammer. 

I went through this exact debate 6 months ago, just with a bigger budget.  2013ish Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger w/Hemi vs. G37.  My pros and cons...which I think would apply to yours too:

Dodge pros:  Hemi, bigger car (more room for my kids and their stuff), runs on 87, quiet highway cruiser

Dodge cons:  Heavy...and all the things that come with that...such as less nimble.  Not sporty driving feel, thirsty

G37 pros: VQ is a stout engine, feels a bit nicer inside (you say it doesn't matter, but your mind may change), 95% of the driving "feel" of a BMW without the reliability issues, rock solid reliable, fabulous steering

G37 cons:  A bit tighter inside, runs on 91+, thirsty

Personally, it was a tough call.  I listed a pro for the G37 as feeling a bit nicer inside, as I was comparing it to a stripped down Charger...for me the 300C is really nice inside, so that was a pro for it.  Yeah, the G gives up horsepower but it also weighs at least 500lbs less.  So they're pretty comparable in acceleration.  I was nearly 50/50 on which one I like better, and still kind of am.  But what tilted the scales for me is that as much as I like the Hemi brothers, they can't dance like the G can.  It just has that driving feel that makes you smile every time the road isn't a straight line.   Truthfully, I wanted...and still want...a BMW 3 series, but just not ready to take the reliability gamble.  The G37 is a great alternative.

In your price range, another concern I'd have is that a $3k cop car may be beat to E36 M3.  You may have to search hard, but you can probably find an early G in your price range that's been well cared for. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/9/18 7:34 a.m.

I would trust a $3,000 ex-cop Charger before I'd trust a $3,000 G35. G's in that price range attract vape-bro hacks.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/9/18 8:12 a.m.
dculberson said:

You can get the g35 in a manual if you hunt! No manual chargers. 

There’s a ton of them near me. And that’s what I was referring to knowing the Charger is auto only.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/9/18 8:18 a.m.

Being an ENORMOUS Roadkill fan, the Charger definitely tics more boxes for me on the American rwd V8 muscle front. 

Its been 30 years and I still love stripped down interiors, rubber floors, crank up windows etc. I’m 48 and I’m still not entirely comfortable in a plush interior.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/18 8:25 a.m.

Here's my $.02. I cross shopped these before I bought the G35 Coupe. 

Chargers down here sell for stupid money. Most auction cars cross $4500 for the V8 police package. You can get the V6 cars cheaper but they are still in the $3k range. That's more than I was willing to pay for a beat police car covered with sticker residue and holes.

The G35 Coupe I bought was about the same price as a police Charger but has the 6 speed, nicer interior, and better handling. The G37s in the area are a good bit higher than the G35s. 

Beyond that, it's personal preference. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/9/18 8:27 a.m.

did the police chargers have LSD's in them?  For that matter, did any of the civillian models (Charger/300/300C/Magnum)?

I thought all the G35 manuals had LSD's in them?

also, this is semi-relavent?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdwExQSYgxs

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 Reader
10/9/18 8:28 a.m.

Two completely different cars really, other than being rwd.  Cop cars, although alot have been put through the ringer and idled for days on end do receive regular maintenance courtesy of taxpayer money.  You have to think ahead of how much add'l $$$ would be spent on either of these cars for things that need fixing as well because either one will need things done, lots of bushings come to mind.  

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/18 8:32 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

I think the G35 Sport got you the 6 speed and the viscous LSD. 

Edited to remove extraneous word. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/9/18 8:41 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

In reply to sleepyhead :

I think all the G35 Sport got you the 6 speed and the viscous LSD. 

Yes, I believe that’s all correct. And to put a finer point on it, ONLY the Sport has the LSD. (I’m open to correction however)

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/9/18 8:52 a.m.

I guess it comes down to the choice between raw, ragged, potentially ugly ~340hp/390tq vs a more refined, more upscale ~270hp/270tq.

And I’m much more apt to listen to the kid in me (to steal from a Frosted Mini Wheats ad) which is the Charger.

sleepyhead
10/9/18 10:02 a.m.

mazdeuce keeps talking about how buying cars is an emotional decision... so, can't argue with with you opting for the Charger.

Thanks for the reminder on G35's and LSD

edited: to fix mazdeuce reference

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
10/9/18 10:49 a.m.

I'd go with the G35. Chargers chew through front end components and can get gnarly lifter tick through the MDS system. G35s also drive way better than Chargers and are less likely to be abused (cop cars go through more hell than any vape bro could put a car through).

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/9/18 10:53 a.m.

The way the OP is writing it, he wants a Charger, plain as day.  This thread is heavily slanted towards a G35.  I personally would go G35 every day and twice on Sunday.  

Waiting for pictures of the ex-cop Charger that ebony picks up in the next few weeks.

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/9/18 11:41 a.m.

Quoting myself from Toyman's thread.

I don't see how you could go wrong with one of those: Hemi, Big Brakes, scares potheads. Big cool factor if it has the black steelies with the chrome dog dishes.

Edit: If it had trunk mounted antennae make sure there are no electrical gremlins and plug the holes ASAP.  The battery is in the trunk along with one of the fuse panels.  I bought a set of wheels from a guy that had an 09 or 10 Police Charger and had some issues because of that.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/9/18 12:47 p.m.

Why would anyone want to make believe their a cop and drive around looking like a cop?  

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/9/18 1:18 p.m.

I haven't driven a G35, but I have driven a 350Z. I haven't driven a Charger, but I've driven a 300. It would be an easy decision for me, I'd pick the G35. To me the Charger is an underrated car for people who need to haul around a family and would otherwise be looking at a crossover.

sleepyhead
10/9/18 1:20 p.m.

In reply to pres589 :

I think some people do it for the "lols"

another reason is because people get the frell out of the way while they figure out if they're about to get a ticket or not.  And the people that don't get out the way, are going to be shiny happy people that will go off and get the ticket you don't want.  This dichotomy ignores the oblivious; and with them, it doesn't matter what you drive... so why not drive something that gives the giggles?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/9/18 1:34 p.m.
pres589 said:

Why would anyone want to make believe their a cop and drive around looking like a cop?  

I kinda hope that wasn’t directed towards me.

I came to post these pictures and saw what you wrote. Speaking for myself, I don’t really appreciate the inference.

That said, I’m Roadkill, not Wanna-be. I was previously a Deputy Sheriff in my county, not my cup-o-tea. Just goes to show you that assumptions can suck. Sure there’s plenty of people guilty of what you propose but this thread is about me and my potential purchases so I guess I’m assuming now... that it was directed toward me.

Anyway, back on topic:

I’m totally this:

And definitely NOT this: 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/9/18 3:13 p.m.
A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/9/18 3:14 p.m.

^^ zing!

just went way over my head.

no time for these real or perceived little barbs.  I’m on to the next thread.  Hope you’re happy whichever way you decide to go OP.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/9/18 3:32 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Just out of my budget but wow!!!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JQvr5owl6gePN2NmrsXV3otZx7PiKmx0RSVro7oZkVzMHxzma4LZyLq2yfm359L8