1 2
ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
2/11/16 12:08 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Now that I'm doing things inside the Grosh I've come to realize something that people told me before I started. A garage is someplace you put things. A shop is someplace you do things. Trying to use one space for both of those things is not ideal.

That is some true wisdom. I haven't seen that before, but it's so clear now.

Thank you sir.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
2/11/16 12:34 p.m.

While I like practical garage lay out as much as the next guy, I have never prioritized a fancy garage space over spending the same money on the cars that would populate it.

Another example - I am a wine collector. Some wine aficionados spend absurd amounts of money on having a 'show' wine cellar where they can entertain and impress their friends with their oenological guru-ness.

For me a wine cellar is just a place to store (and be able to find again) your wine, and having fancy accoutrements is a waste. Same thing vis a vis garages - give me a Ferrari in a hovel rather than a Fiat in a mansion (because that's all you'd be able to afford once you'd splurged on the garage.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/16 2:41 p.m.

In reply to wspohn:

You can have both. This garage in Connecticut allows you to drop your Ferrari into the wine cellar and then stare at it as you drink your wine.

http://www.trbuilt.com/ultimate-man-cave-project.html

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
2/11/16 3:33 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Cute. But I don't even know people in that tax bracket.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
2/11/16 3:34 p.m.

I just redid my garage and I'm working on a good layout. I think it's key to be flexible and move things as you encounter issues.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
2/11/16 8:02 p.m.

Flying cars, naturally!

chiodos wrote: In reply to NOHOME: If you live in a remote, fly in village...how did you get your cars to the hangar?
jstand
jstand HalfDork
2/11/16 8:44 p.m.
car39 wrote:
LuxInterior wrote: I suggested this as the floor plan for our new house... but wife unimpressed
You forgot the home theater.

The architect left the annotation off the drawing, it's a drive-in theater.

The projector mounts to the ceiling behind the car and the screen is on the inside of the garage door.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
2/12/16 11:50 p.m.

In reply to jstand:

That is brilliant!

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
2/12/16 11:52 p.m.

In reply to jstand:

Brilliant!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
2/13/16 12:21 a.m.

My build on Garage Journal

It's good to bounce ideas off people there. My shop design went through a few iterations until I nailed the one that was the best compromise.

Currently working on siding, waiting on electrical inspection.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/13/16 7:05 a.m.

We have done several stories on garage restoration and set up as well in both publications.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/13/16 8:11 a.m.
SkinnyG wrote: My build on Garage Journal It's good to bounce ideas off people there. My shop design went through a few iterations until I nailed the one that was the best compromise. Currently working on siding, waiting on electrical inspection.

This is a good read. It's useful to look at the dates and realize just how long the process can take. It takes a lot of time and energy to make it all happen.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vyxCQQhPLEEFv2Z8MExKyoKFVbl7AdyzMkXFtZ4wlaY9dOV0YXyMMxK2faMaH4JA