1 2
VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
1/2/14 11:47 a.m.

I ended up buying a SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT SP414M Fuel Pump for $128.99 which was listed as an SLS model only pump. It was outside the economy pump price range and had the little heart on it as a popular selling item on RockAuto. Has a 1 year warranty and the shop let me drop ship it to them. They ended up not even charging me for installing the fuel filter. All of these pumps come with new wiring harnesses and was why I saw some tape in there. As an added bonus, the air conditioning is now working again in the truck. Thanks to everyone who helped out with the troubleshooting.

Trying to enjoy last couple days of vacation while waiting on the HVAC guy to look at one of my mom's noisy roof vents. Never seems to end.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
1/2/14 3:12 p.m.
Shop was quoting $350-600 for a pump. Crazy.

The last time i did a fuel pump on that kind of blazer i did it for $600, very unhappily, after the customer got pissed off at my first number and called around before figuring out it was in the ballpark before making me price match the lowest number he could find. I didn't make much at $600. A GOOD fuel pump assembly for those is very expensive.

If someone quoted you $350 i would be VERY suspicious. Once you bought a good fuel pump you would already be losing money before you even put out any labor.

If they cant swing the fuel pump bill, i would finance it some other way besides the dealership. That way they can pay off the dealership and GET RID OF this vehicle sooner. Honestly, an 01 blazer sure is a piece of E36 M3 for how high some of the repair costs are. I hate the idea of putting out that much money for something that's still a total piece of crap after it's 'fixed'. I've done every job on those things and all of them are stupid (which mechanics charge more for) in some way or another. Even when they dont need an intake spider or a fuel pump or a whole damn motor, or a 4l60 sun shell, the doors always seem like they are about to fall off and half of them have pennies and paper shoved into strange places to stop the interior from making so much noise. I even had to buy a customer an $80 part when the seat recline handle fell off in my hand when i was adjusting for a test drive. At least none of them still have the original DexCool and associated mud blockages by now.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
1/3/14 7:44 a.m.

Total cost was $600 including parts I bought. I ended up loaning the money to get them back on the road. Before we even got it fixed my niece's husband was talking about trading it in to some other dirtbag dealer at the end of the month for a pickup. I thought to myself, you ungrateful E36 M3, you haven't even paid me back and your gonna make the same mistake all over. Never again will I put myself out for them.

And yes, the doors are about to fall off.

I was thinking about taking it myself if they were gonna trade it in for $1000 but you guys have convinced me otherwise.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
1/8/14 3:53 p.m.
I was thinking about taking it myself if they were gonna trade it in for $1000 but you guys have convinced me otherwise.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0TQVjyyEpIi97CvG3cuP5khTRvYhN6rQPgSjEeE8xnSdqA7tUkDsoFNcNwv3ZDRW