Spitsix GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/29/08 8:31 p.m.

Is the GM Ecotec engine in the Solstice and Sky different between RWD vs FWD? Can a motor from a Colbolt be put into a RWD car?

Nashco Dork
6/30/08 10:39 a.m.

There will be a lot of accessory drive stuff that will be different, but it's my understanding that the bolt patterns are the same. That is to say, if you have a bellhousing for the Solstice/Sky, an Aisin AR5 trans, and a ecotec, you should be able to make it happen from there, those are the important bits. I haven't done any specific research regarding the FWD vs RWD ecotec, I'm not much help in that department. I bet if you called the guys at quad4rods.com they could give you a quick run down. They also offer a RWD bellhousing if you wanted to use a T5 (instead of AR5).


FunkyStickman New Reader
7/3/08 10:59 a.m.

I've been trying to talk my dad into building a copy of the E85 roadster that GM built... and quads4rods are the only guys who currently make the bellhousings to do it, unless you swap the trans from a Sky/Solstice or get a custom piece made. (Keisler doesn't make them anymore)

I say, go for it... it would rock!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/3/08 11:11 a.m.

The Sky/Solstice bell is available seperately and I believe it attatches directly to a R58 transmission (I may be all wet as well)

16vCorey Dork
7/3/08 11:23 a.m.

Actually it's an Aisin AR-5.

Nashco Dork
7/3/08 12:12 p.m.

Yeah FunkyStickman, as I said above, the Solstice/Sky bellhousing is available seperately, then you can bolt it up to a ton of different Aisin transmissions (including AR-5 and many others).


oldopelguy HalfDork
7/3/08 12:18 p.m.

I have one of those bell housings left-over from an aborted project, in case someone is looking for one.

Big thing is that the bell housing is deep, front to rear, and not every trans that'll bolt up to it has a long enough input shaft. The trailblazer and Colorado/Canyon transmissions do have the longer input shafts and are a lot less expensive than the Solstice one, or you can have a spacer machined to go on the flywheel and hold the input shaft pilot bearing.

Our Preferred Partners