asoduk
asoduk Reader
12/5/15 8:26 a.m.

After 8 years of modern Saab ownership, I'm finally thinking about getting a Tech2. Does anyone here have any experience with the clones available from China? I've found quite a few for under $300. I know I'll need the Saab memory card and the software for unlocking it.

Alternatively, do any of you in NE Ohio have one that I could borrow/use/rent?

NickD
NickD Reader
12/5/15 8:30 a.m.

No clue on the Chinese knockoffs but the real ones are badass pieces of tech. THey are starting to get phased out by GM (In favor of the MDI/GDS2 combo) so expect prices to drop. I have access to one but I'm in NY, so not a lot of help

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/15 9:06 a.m.

What are you looking to do?

If you just want a generic OBD-II scantool, I bought a little doodad from MAC that fairly well kicks ass for generic data.

If you want the full OE-level scantool with bidirectional controls and whatnot, for a SAAB, you need the OE tool (Tech2 I assume). Swedish cars are horrible for 3rd-party scantool support. Not even the LAUNCH (x.431?) does it very well.

(We have a Mastertech, OTC Genisys, Genisys Touch, and Auto Enginuity, as well as a Ross-Tech dongle and the HPTuners dongle, which came with HP Scanner which is surprisingly useful...)

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
12/5/15 9:18 a.m.

I have done some looking, I would be VERY interested to see how this goes. I have a 2010 saab that will need one of these at some point. I was always afraid of the software that comes along with these.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
12/5/15 9:35 a.m.

I'm currently trying to diagnose the O-bus on my '04 9-3, which requires the tech2. I'd also like to disable the daytime running lights on all 3 cars.

I found a guy on craigslist about 30 min away that does Tech2 programming, but he's pricey enough that I'm considering buying one.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
12/5/15 9:38 a.m.

The knockoffs are junk. Whatever program is in it will stay with it. It isn't upgradeable for when updates are available.

For what a real tech2 costs, I'd purchase the best aftermarket clone from otc, Snapon, Matco, et al. That way in case you do diverge from Saab's, you still have a useful tool.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
12/5/15 3:51 p.m.

The aftermarket ones (snappy, autoenginuity, etc) don't do everything an OEM Tech II does especially for BCM functions.

A knockoff Tech II will do everything you need. Only suggestion is pay the juice to buy it from a US vendor in case its DOA.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
12/8/15 6:26 a.m.

You know about this SaabCentral forum dedicated to Tech II? http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146

Mazda787b
Mazda787b HalfDork
12/8/15 11:26 p.m.

Subbed for later.

I've seen a few "legitimate" ones floating around for decent pricing. There's a few forum posts on LS1Tech and CorvetteForum regarding which ones to buy. That aforementioned Saabcentral link had a lot of info too.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
12/9/15 9:51 a.m.

I would love to have a techII, but the prices are a little steep for me.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/9/15 11:23 a.m.

Get a real one so you can play pong in the SRS module!

http://www.saabplanet.com/easter-egg-you-can-play-pong-in-a-saab/

Jackson1986
Jackson1986 None
1/3/19 6:41 a.m.

It says gm tech 2 covers most 1991 to 2013 GM cars.
I just bought one off obd2tool and I am going to give it a try. I purchased it from a Chinese seller. It does come with the 32 Mb flash card for GM.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/19 7:02 a.m.

I am interested is this as well my 04 93 has some needs that this tool would be nice to have for. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/3/19 8:33 a.m.

So I replied to this thread in 2015,  but now have a knockoff tech II and it’s worked great for my needs on multiple vehicles.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
8/9/19 8:47 a.m.

Same here, have had mine for 4 years, and it has worked great for me.  I haven't tried any programming with it, but for diagnostics it has been great!  It also is nice that the majority of my family drives vehicles that are covered by it.  Needless to say I am very popular with all of them.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
8/11/19 6:41 p.m.

I bought a clone. Works great. I’m a little ashamed, but tell myself I’m not making a living with it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xIsKorOPtWK86DPA5DqXcPlZiH5RYbXl8Ixng5BKpFRzIIbYq94ZzDZCMmhl8gxN