1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/30/20 12:56 p.m.
feature_image

Hummer is coming back!

Well, sort of.

GMC has announced that they plan to revive the Hummer nameplate in order to launch their first electric pickup: the GMC HUMMER EV. Not much has been released besides a teaser shot, a 30-second Super Bowl ad, and a website, but GMC is making some bold performance claims for their new electric pickup:

• 1000 horsepower
  • 11,500 …

Read the rest of the story

spandak
spandak Reader
1/30/20 12:58 p.m.

That's a big fast missle. 
Hide yo kids. 
Based on who bought those around here this is dangerous news. 

Raze
Raze UltraDork
1/30/20 1:05 p.m.

...but can I track it?

I'll take my racecruck in red...so it will hide the carnage...

I can't stop laughing...this is awesome...the times we live in!!!laugh

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/30/20 1:07 p.m.

Oh god no. Please. Stop. Can't wait to have to work on these abortions. The H2s and H3s were big enough piles of E36 M3.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/30/20 1:09 p.m.

More forced EVs! My freedoms! Noooo!

Sounds amazing. I love that the "hippie left" vehicle has now become so amazingly powerful. I can't wait to see the road tests of this versus a Cybertruck versus a Rivian. As Raze said, the times we live in!!!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/30/20 1:17 p.m.

Ford sells about 900,000 F-150s a year. I'm sure GM sells nearly that many trucks as well. If you could grab just a tenth of that figure, that's still a lot of units. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/30/20 1:17 p.m.

Awesome news, pretty impressive numbers there but range and price will be the deciding factor. Grille looks good, hope the rest of the truck doesn't look like a design from a sci-fi nerd... IOW, keep it with more traditional truck styling. Glad to see it is a GMC sub-brand and not Chevy (read Camaro-ish styled). 

Former GM plant Lordstown is in the hiring process for battery production. Interesting times we live in.

GM can nail this. This may well be the test bed for Mary's "all electric future". I'm still somewhat apprehensive about that. 

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
1/30/20 1:23 p.m.

The Hummer was always a fashion statement, this makes perfect sense. Range be damned, if it can get to the grocery store that's all that matters. GM just has to find a loophole to give it an attractive enough range figure to get it off the lot.

The question is, does this mean an electric Suburban is a possibility?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/30/20 1:38 p.m.

Shoulda called it the "buzzer" or "zapper".

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/30/20 2:01 p.m.
dculberson said:

Not sure if that was aimed at me, but my comment was less on this being an EV and more on the fact that the 2000s Hummer brand cranked out some truly wretched vehicles, so I'm not excited to see the revival of this brand name. Also, not all, but an abnormal percentage of Hummer owners were some pretty strange/annoying people, at least as far as being customers, and this will likely bring them back to GM by the droves.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/30/20 2:10 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

This is the halo ev with gaudy numbers. The rigs that really pull the technology will be standard looking Silerados and for Ford F150s. These lesser vehicles wiil start at fleet only with rubber floor mats and am/fm radios way lower power and range.This will be the favourite of various levels of government, these trucks don't need nav etc because the operator will install their own comm, gps, dispatch systems. 

If any one doubts the desire of local government I can go take a picture of the District of North Vancouver's fleet of Nissan Leafs,

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/30/20 2:12 p.m.

Electric Hummer sounds like something found on Urban Dictionary.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
1/30/20 2:13 p.m.

Wasn't there an H2/H3 rally raid project (re: proof of concept) or did I dream the whole thing up?

I found it.... Was an H1

Project Sandstorm

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
1/30/20 2:17 p.m.
dculberson said:

Sounds amazing. I love that the "hippie left" vehicle has now become so amazingly powerful. I can't wait to see the road tests of this versus a Cybertruck versus a Rivian. As Raze said, the times we live in!!!

Ah yes, the harvesting of those rare earth minerals and other necessities to make EVs do their thing make such good shakra's to environment. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/30/20 2:22 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

Electric Hummer sounds like something found on Urban Dictionary.

No joke, the dealer they had out in Buffalo was literally called Buffalo Hummer. I saw the plate frames and went "That's unfortunate"

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
1/30/20 2:36 p.m.

Military cosplay enthusiasts will LOVE this.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/30/20 2:46 p.m.
Brake_L8 said:

I actually wonder how long before this makes the leap back over to DoD.  Maybe wait until dynamic exothermic chemical runaway is not a concern from the battery storage.  But then, I think it makes some interesting possibilities.

_
_ Dork
1/30/20 2:58 p.m.

The new Bummer. It'll weigh 12,000lbs, travel to 30knots, and break ice as deep as 26ft. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
1/30/20 3:01 p.m.

Do I detect a bit of tacit acknowledgement of the genius of CyberTruck marketing? 

Should be an interesting vehicle, but i'll wait until it's less clickbait-y to muster my own personal interest. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
1/30/20 3:02 p.m.

blame it on Arnold !  

he already built one.......

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/30/20 3:28 p.m.

I hope to eventually see nothing but complaints and negative comments. I certainly do not want to see anyone just contemplating how awesome this tech (probably) will be.

/Sarcasm

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/30/20 4:12 p.m.
NickD said:
dculberson said:

Not sure if that was aimed at me,

Oh absolutely not, sorry. It's aimed at the EV naysayers that keep claiming EVs are being "forced" on them. There are at least two that regularly use that word abour EVs on this forum.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/30/20 4:27 p.m.
Brake_L8 said:

I just vomited with laughter...  

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/30/20 4:41 p.m.

Who doesn't want an electric Hummer?

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
1/30/20 5:26 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

Dangit. Beat me by 1 hr for this post.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.