Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/3/22 6:52 p.m.

I've been casually looking at MR2s, 944s and now old CRXs for about a year online.  I was looking at some BMW 3 series for awhile but decided they didn't do anything for me.

This one popped up about 30min away & I'm ging to message him tonight, try to see it Sunday if it works out.  Anything in particular to look for?  At least from a mere mortal point of view?  For the $ I don't expect perfection but hope for a driver that needs minimal immediate work.  (I know there's no such thing as a "cheap Porsche")

"Great 944 recent full belts and hoses at a cost of $2500 Needs driver seat recovered; driver door has some paint issues on edge see pictures Car runs and drives well and has an auto cross harness set up. Black Is an excellent color for these cars Only trade considered are corvette autos"

$7500 seems reasonable for 2022 market conditions if it doesn't need anything immediate.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/3/22 7:52 p.m.

The redline rollbar is a nice bit of kit and the dash pad doesn't seem too bad.

Check battery box for rust. The drains get clogged and rust holes can open up into the car.

Check the rear hatch at the hinges. Hinges attach to the metal moulding, which gets loose. Fixable but work.

Check operation of the sunroof, the mechanism is more complex and fiddly than you'd expect given that it just pops up.

Check that the odometer works, theres a small gear that falls apart.

Check the front suspension for play, lower control arm bearings and ball joints are common problems.

Listen to the trans, tracked cars (especially turbos) can suffer from heat and wear.

Low quality instrument lighting can be fixed with silver paint or foil behind the lamps.

Check that the water pump was replaced with the belts. Check condition of engine fuel lines. Consider clutch condition, it's kind of a PITA to replace. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/22 8:06 p.m.

Look at the water pump and hoses to see if they've been replaced as recently as the seller says. The timing belt on these is absolutely required and very short interval. Check the clutch operation, shifter play, and listen for noises in the torque tube and transaxle.

I spy a 986 and a Cayenne in the photos, so this is probably well maintained and is priced well for what it is.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/3/22 8:27 p.m.

Make sure the A/C works if that is importantant to you. It can get pricey to fix.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/3/22 8:46 p.m.

Yeah at this point I just want to drive it. Trying for Saturday late afternoon or Sunday.

Looking at Marketplace the price is average, seeing a few around $6k and up to $9-10k. A handful in the $7-8k range.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
emNI7jrkZFEt9EKA65oDsSAJJfzkTIf0WbL89YoR8owkl9aOGM5A4sakYpNRqPWj